Why become a member? ×

Best Number One?

stewblack

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

Love a bit of ABBA!!

Yeah. They were lucky to have two amazing bass players, with Rutger coming up with some really unique lines,  with some incredible phrasing and quirky note choices, my picks being Dancing Queen, Money, Money, Money, Knowing Me Knowing You, and One of Us. And then the lesser known Mike Watson playing on Mamma Mia, Super Trouper, and The Winner Takes It All. Seven fab basslines right there.

Edited by JJTee
  • Like 2

Toss up between Sex on Fire and Dakota, obvs...

It's rather depressing looking at the lists of Number Ones.

How about Relax? Or These Boots are Made for Walking?

(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay and You're So Vain both only made No. 3 in the UK.

5 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

More shocking still, 'My Girl' by The Temptations didn't even crack the UK Top 40.  Only peaked at 43.

Crazy. However, lot of younger people will know the song from it’s re-release. Following it’s use in the film of the same name, it then reached number 2 in the UK charts in 1992.

I just wish I had a fiver for every time I’ve played it! Often at weddings it’s the song for father of the bride to dance to with his daughter. One of those songs that actually I never tire of hearing or playing, the genius of writer Smokey Robinson at his best.

1 hour ago, nekomatic said:

I was sure I’d be able to get the classic rock and pop fans spitting their tea across their keyboards by suggesting some Dua Lipa, but it seems Don’t Start Now only got to number 2

I looked, just new rules, and the bass line on that isn't great.

On 11/06/2021 at 17:21, Woodinblack said:

I looked, just new rules, and the bass line on that isn't great.

Sorry Woody,  but I quite like “Don’t start now” and it’s good fun to play. So much so, we’ve added it to out set list recently. 

apparently the original so track is keyboard bass and not a actual bass guitar at all. It’s quite convincing though IMO. . 

2 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Sorry Woody,  but I quite like “Don’t start now” and it’s good fun to play. So much so, we’ve added it to out set list recently. 

So do I, but as I said, in the context of this thread, it it didn't get to no1, it was a number 2. Her track that did get to number one on her own was "new rules", which hasn't got a good bass line (although it is a good track)

It is fun to play, although it isn't an actual bass. Not that that matters.

apparently the original so track is keyboard bass and not a actual bass guitar at all. It’s quite convincing though IMO. . 

Its actually a sampled bass, which is why it is quite convincing. But they play the bass on the tiny desk gig.

Edited by Woodinblack

20 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Its actually a sampled bass, which is why it is quite convincing. 

Hmph, I never spotted that before although listening now it seems pretty obvious.

Hopefully the bassist who recorded the samples got properly paid 🤨

On 11/06/2021 at 11:05, Woodinblack said:

One of the most surprising things that this thread brings up is how some of the real iconic songs didn't get that near number 1, whereas some of the ones that did were completely forgotten.

Yes... see 'Shaddup You Face' for details.