Why become a member? ×

Best Number One?

stewblack

On 06/06/2021 at 14:28, stewblack said:

Which UK number one single contains the best bass line.

I will kick us off with Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick by Norman Watt-Roy.

Also, take a drink when someone tells us it's all 'subjective'.

Another drink when we're invited to debate what the word 'best' means.

And finish the bottle when someone tells us it's 'impossible'.

I listened to this on Saturday for the first time listening to tha bass, wow.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

One I always like playing. . . The Joker, The Steve Miller Band, 15/09/90.

I mentioned earlier that my nomination drew for Number one position with another record, which eventually won on controversial goal difference...…

…. well that record was The Joker!

So perhaps 15/09/1990 was the battle of the basslines!

I honestly thought I'd won with the song which inspired this thread, but not only have there been some great suggestions, I have been thinking about all those 60s number ones - and oh my those bass lines.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Great song but it was never a number one.

Unfortunate considering 'bring your daughter to the slaughter' was a number 1, and it was nowhere near as good as this

It was a number one. I remember it being number one and seeing them live and Bruce saying how you guys made us number one with this. Then they played it. No idea what chart it was.

Edited by ubit

2 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Not in the UK it wasn't.

I have vivid memories of him saying you got us to number one with this and I was sure it was number one at the time. I am prepared to be wrong as now I can't find any chart saying it was number one. My memory must be failing me.

8 minutes ago, ubit said:

I have vivid memories of him saying you got us to number one with this and I was sure it was number one at the time. I am prepared to be wrong as now I can't find any chart saying it was number one. My memory must be failing me.

Mandella effect

It was number 7, I remember it at the time.

The number one that fans made was 'bring your daughter', which was a fan campain to buy the single and give them a number one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubit said:

Number of The Beast album that RTTH was taken from went straight in at No1. Maybe that's what Bruce was on about?

• Like 1

On 07/06/2021 at 15:51, chris_b said:

One I always like playing. . . The Joker, The Steve Miller Band, 15/09/90.

Might be a decent line (I honestly can’t remember), but my God I hate the song. Which I don’t say that often.

53 minutes ago, Strawbs664 said:

Number of The Beast album that RTTH was taken from went straight in at No1. Maybe that's what Bruce was on about?

Yeah, I can remember being chuffed that a band I was into had made it to the top of the charts and he was chuffed about it and gave the crowd plaudits for getting them there. They then played Run to the Hills. Thats where I must have got mixed up. I apologise for my mix up and thanks for that bud.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Mandella effect

It was number 7, I remember it at the time.

The number one that fans made was 'bring your daughter', which was a fan campain to buy the single and give them a number one.

It was also the week after Christmas iirc? The internet has told me that Bruce D didn't intend it to be a Maiden song but Steve Harris begged for it.