Why become a member? ×

Are There Any Gigs OutThere?

Chienmortbb

On 10/06/2021 at 08:36, Phil Starr said:

We've just done our first gig back at a pub we've played before. An odd sort of do a kind of hybrid between a wedding party and a brewery mini festival. We'd had a couple of rehearsals but the rust was still present and we've immediately booked more rehearsals. the punters as ever didn't seem to notice. My goodness it was good to be back.

We've got another 5 bookings this year with an apparently steady flow of enquiries. The pubs are largely absent at the moment so these are outdoor events mainly, and from previous bookers. Full marks to @skidder652003 @Happy Jack and @Silvia Bluejay for getting out there and working at it. 

I'm optimistic about next year, a lot of our regular pubs have closed/changed hands and a lot of bands have folded too. I suspect there is a generation of older musicians who will have retired from regular gigging, A lot of faces disappeared in the last few years before COVID and this will make up some people's minds to join them. Driving everything though will be the desire for people to go out and be at a live event. If I were a pub I'd be waiting and watching but I think when it happens there will be a rush and the bands that are prepared and ready will be in demand. I also agree that it's not the time to push prices, we need to give the venues a break and help build confidence.

good luck all.

Thanks Phil. Our first gig is tomorrow, table bookings and..it's sold out!

100 people inside and loads more outside and at our last rehearsal on Wednesday I forgot whole sections of our 20 minute medley from hell, so no pressure!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

Thanks Phil. Our first gig is tomorrow, table bookings and..it's sold out!

100 people inside and loads more outside and at our last rehearsal on Wednesday I forgot whole sections of our 20 minute medley from hell, so no pressure!

Brilliant, have a great evening.

• Thanks 1

First gig since September tomorrow for my blues rock trio.  The Pickerel Inn, Stowmarket.  In a barn outside, good space to set up.  8pm start to avoid being too loud too late.  Really looking forward to it.:)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

I think it's more to do with people desperate to hear live music than some sudden new found fans ;)

Yup - seen a bit of that myself recently!

In other news, a rash of phone calls over the last week has taken both my bands into double figures. Quite frankly, I never really expected to reach that point this year.

Even more bizarre is that I'm now running out of available gig slots. Each of my bands prefers to play no more than three gigs a month (so that would be six for me), each prefers to avoid double-headers (defined as playing gigs on consecutive nights), and obviously each band can only play on a night when the other band doesn't have a gig (no deps, unless they're drummers!).

With 17 gigs in the diary for the second half of the year (four already played), it turns out that I can only accept another eight gigs for The Junkyard Dogs and eleven for Damo & The Dynamites, and there's a rapidly-shrinking list of dates on which those gigs can be played. Get your orders in soon, guys ...

😂

• Like 3

• 1 month later...