Why become a member? ×

USA to UK voltage step down converter

vinorange

Just now, fleabag said:

This maybe a dumb question, but if going from USA voltage  (  110 ?  )  to UK   ( 240 )   isnt a step  up voltage converter needed rather than a step down ?

Apparently, and I've only learned this knowledge recently, the step down refers to the input voltage. So in goes 240v and it gets stepped down to 110v.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

Yup, i figured it out and deleted my post , but you have a quick trigger finger  :)

I was only checking in regularly to see if a sudden miracle had happened and somebody had a toroidal transformer for my amp.....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, vinorange said:

Would this fella do the job 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184877319367

I'm chasing Gear4Music and Webb in Taiwan in search of a plug in 240v version of the original kit.....

Easily, costs more but looks 'professional' you would be able to use a USAnian power cord instead of a blue cable.

On 09/06/2021 at 14:37, Matt P said:

I spent some time last year trying to buy a replacement for a blown transformer for my Cyrus Hifi amp, (2 sets of secondary windings, toroidal transformer), Cyrus didn't have any left and i spent a couple of days hunting for the correct spec, in the end i bought a new amp instead.

Matt

You mean the sort of transformers you can find in any old scrapbox?

1136767157_CyrusTransformer.thumb.jpg.3b0f1bfa3f3462a26d62ac010810b14f.jpg

• Like 2

wow! your scrapbox is way better supplied than mine, what are the secondary windings on those?  I had a really good search back in about august when it died and was willing to send it back to Cyrus for repair but they didn't have any transformers left at all.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a step down transformer, which works fine, but then wondered if I could get any response from WEBB who make the transformers. They've been incredibly helpful and WEBB are making a 240v spec transformer to the original 240 / 50hz spec and sending it for £150. 

Hopefully I don't have to mod the amp any further and it's a plug and play?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

It should be a plug'n'play... It's their original 120V transformer inside. Just hoping it has the same colour code wires or that there's a colour code wires chart coming with it.

I've sent them a pic of the transformer so I'd hope it's colour matched otherwise I got a bit of work....

5 hours ago, vinorange said:

I bought a step down transformer, which works fine, but then wondered if I could get any response from WEBB who make the transformers. They've been incredibly helpful and WEBB are making a 240v spec transformer to the original 240 / 50hz spec and sending it for £150. 

Hopefully I don't have to mod the amp any further and it's a plug and play?

That sounds like a good outcome.

FRank.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, machinehead said:

That sounds like a good outcome.

FRank.

Here's hoping.....Delivery may be a while from Taiwan but UK quotes for a handmade transformer were way higher and there weren't many who would quote. We really need to become a manufacturing country again....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinorange said:

Here's hoping.....Delivery may be a while from Taiwan but UK quotes for a handmade transformer were way higher and there weren't many who would quote. We really need to become a manufacturing country again....

You need some very posh equipment to machine wind a toroidal transformer, and hand winding is difficult enough to make it pricey.

So I got in touch with WEBB, whose communication and response to queries is superb, and they sent back that the wiring specs will be as per the original design for the Eden Amp;

Primary: 0-240V/BRN-BLU
Secondary: 63.5V-0-63.5V/RED-ORG-RED
                     0(fuse)-11V/WHT-WHT
                      17V(T.S)-0-17V(T.S)/GRN-YEL-GRN

That should mean plug and play.

Fingers crossed....

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, vinorange said:

So I got in touch with WEBB, whose communication and response to queries is superb, and they sent back that the wiring specs will be as per the original design for the Eden Amp;

Primary: 0-240V/BRN-BLU
Secondary: 63.5V-0-63.5V/RED-ORG-RED
                     0(fuse)-11V/WHT-WHT
                      17V(T.S)-0-17V(T.S)/GRN-YEL-GRN

That should mean plug and play.

Fingers crossed....

🤞

• Like 1

Just had another thought so I pinged them an email to check on the dimensions. They immediately got back with their spec / tolerances; 

Our dimension is :OD120cm (MAX) H77cm(MAX).

All seems very very professional, quick to respond and better than Marshall / Eden US and Gear4Music - none of whom have got back to me.

• 1 month later...

An update! I received the transformer from Webb in Taiwan. They were amazing which is more can be said for Gear4Music, Eden or Marshall. Anyway it arrived last week but I've only just got around to fitting it but it was perfect plug and play and even better they only charged £120 including shipping.

On plugging it in I found it sounded even better than I thought it might. Snappy, crispy, lots of attack & punch and plenty of headroom. It's just like like old Eden World tour amps but with tube control which I reckon is even better.

Happy days thanks to a transformer maker in Taiwan!!

• Like 5