Why become a member? ×

Markbass Vintage pre question

bob_atherton

I have just bought a MB Vintage pre pedal to replace my Tone Hammer on on my board. At the moment most of my tone shaping is done with my amp, a Mesa Boogie WD 800, and the board is just for a bit of tweaking at the gig. I now want nearly all of "my sound" to be created on the board with the amp set to pretty much flat but use the amp's mid band parametric to tweak at the gig. The board order on the board at the moment is tuner, HP/LP filter, compressor, Tone Hammer and into amp. Would this chain still be the best order? Thanks.  

On 05/06/2021 at 12:10, fretmeister said:

I run HPF last. I don’t see the point in putting it before a compressor that will try and boost the stuff that I’m trying to cut.

Might be personal preference that - I run my HPF BEFORE the compressor so I'm not pushing the comp more then it needs to be pushed. Works for me as I'm sure yours works for you.

@bob_atherton try both ways and see what happens to your sound and which you prefer would be my advice. 

• Like 3

As has been said neither is right or wrong but you may prefer to have the comp after the HPF so the lows aren't triggering the comp,

-you could have it in the amp effects loop and see what it does for you there especially if you have a series or parallel option

-you could have it in the MARKBASS preamp effects loop and see what it does for you there

or just try it at either end of the signal chain.

Just wondering is the HPF/LPF built into the amp or a standalone pedal? I know the spec on the WD800 is pretty fully featured as is. Cracking looking feature set on those!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, krispn said:

As has been said neither is right or wrong but you may prefer to have the comp after the HPF so the lows aren't triggering the comp,

-you could have it in the amp effects loop and see what it does for you there especially if you have a series or parallel option

-you could have it in the MARKBASS preamp effects loop and see what it does for you there

or just try it at either end of the signal chain.

Just wondering is the HPF/LPF built into the amp or a standalone pedal? I know the spec on the WD800 is pretty fully featured as is. Cracking looking feature set on those!

The reason I'm changing from the Tone Hammer pedal to the Markbass has a lot to do with the warmth of the MB and the bass frequency on the MB is 70hz, not 40hz on the Tone Hammer. The HP/LP filter is a Broughton (great bit of kit). I want to get everything sorted on the pedal board and not use any of the fx loops etc. The reason for this is that, covid allowing, I will be touring and I will only be allowed to take two basses and pedal board. The amps/cabs will be provided at the gigs. It also needs to be able to work in the US and Japan so I have a power supply that switches to the voltage of the country. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bob_atherton said:

The reason I'm changing from the Tone Hammer pedal to the Markbass has a lot to do with the warmth of the MB and the bass frequency on the MB is 70hz, not 40hz on the Tone Hammer. The HP/LP filter is a Broughton (great bit of kit). I want to get everything sorted on the pedal board and not use any of the fx loops etc. The reason for this is that, covid allowing, I will be touring and I will only be allowed to take two basses and pedal board. The amps/cabs will be provided at the gigs. It also needs to be able to work in the US and Japan so I have a power supply that switches to the voltage of the country. 

I can see the logic of that. I had the Broughton HPF/LPF its a great unit but you could still try in the fx loop of the marknbass pre if it has one (I think it does?)

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, krispn said:

I can see the logic of that. I had the Broughton HPF/LPF its a great unit but you could still try in the fx loop of the marknbass pre if it has one (I think it does?)

Good idea. I'll try anything that can stay on the board. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well.... in a nutshell it didn't float my boat. 

It sounded a bit ill defined to me. I used to use Hiwatt DR103's back in the day and really liked what valves could do. I guess I was looking for a touch of valve magic and a more open sound.

I'm sure many others will really like what it does but it wasn't for me. 

18 hours ago, krispn said:

A valve pre won't match what valve a power section adds. That's where the magic happens. DId the routing options do what you wanted or will you likely look elsewhere?

I just tried it between bass and amp, as I thought this would tell me what the unit was all about.