Why become a member? ×

When boiling strings.....

Ou7shined

One thing not to do is forget the pan in on the cooker with the strings in and let it boil dry, like I did once. Missus not happy about ruined pan. Had to buy another, been cheaper to have bought new strings !

What are we having for dinner - Status Hotwires in bolognese sauce, yumyum.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='447367' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:17 PM'].... should you let them cool down or quench them quickly?

In other words, is the boiling process just cleaning them or partially effecting the molecular structure?[/quote]

If you feel you have to boil them, pour the boiling water from the pan through a sieve (or even hold a pan lid slightly askew, so the water runs out.) Let the strings dry naturally, on kitchen towel or a piece of old cloth. Heating and quenching can weaken the structure.

I used to do this regularly, until I tried Meths. (You can't drink boiling water, but............) :) :rolleyes: :D

I went through a phase of string boiling a few years back; I tend to let them dry steadily over a radiator or in good airflow.
The main reason I got out of regular boiling was that I forgot which set had been done how many times.. breaking 2 strings in one set was enough to put me off. Dunno just how many times they had been boiled though:blink:

[quote name='Johngh' post='447417' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:45 PM']One thing not to do is forget the pan in on the cooker with the strings in and let it boil dry, like I did once. Missus not happy about ruined pan. Had to buy another, been cheaper to have bought new strings ![/quote]
+1 :)

To clarify and expand on the above suggestions:

1. Do not boil your strings in meths - INSTANT DEATH
2. Do not boil coated strings, e.g. Elixirs*
3. Do not use the Missus's best Teflon pan. The strings will chip bits of the coating off*
4. Do not weight the strings down in the pan with a plastic handled knife*
5. When removing the strings from the pan, use a utensil rather than your bare hand*

[i]* These I have done and regretted.[/i]

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='447598' date='Mar 27 2009, 06:49 PM']If you feel you have to boil them, pour the boiling water from the pan through a sieve (or even hold a pan lid slightly askew, so the water runs out.) Let the strings dry naturally, on kitchen towel or a piece of old cloth. Heating and quenching can weaken the structure.

I used to do this regularly, until I tried Meths. (You can't drink boiling water, but............) :) :rolleyes: :D[/quote]
ugh, you shouldn't drink meths if it's full of dirt from your strings

[quote name='thinman' post='447693' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:12 PM']Are insurance companies generally OK about damaged caused by boiling meths on your cooker?[/quote]

+1, although I'd be more concerned about the practically invisible flame when it catches fire... :)

[quote name='Protium' post='447655' date='Mar 27 2009, 07:35 PM']You're right, METHS AND FIRE is a much better idea...[/quote]

Quite frankly, that shouldn't need explaining. And by pointing it out you're insinutating that the OP isn't clever enough to realise that, surely that's a tad insulting?

[quote name='Buzz' post='447702' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:21 PM']Quite frankly, that [b]shouldn't[/b] need explaining. And by pointing it out you're insinutating that the OP isn't clever enough to realise that, surely that's a tad insulting?[/quote]

And your using "shouldn't" rather than "doesn't" insinuates the same. Way to go :)

FWIW my reply wasn't directed at the OP, maybe you missed which post I quoted.

Edited by Protium

Ah, touche! I missed that one.

And, no, I did gather where you were quoting from, however, due to the nature of forums, you were pointing out the flaws in the the post you quoted for the OP's benefit.

Fire and meths does actually go quite well together, fantastic for heating things like mini steam engines and the like. Just don't light an entire bottle, it needs to be regulated.

[quote name='Buzz' post='447730' date='Mar 27 2009, 09:04 PM']Ah, touche! I missed that one.

And, no, I did gather where you were quoting from, however, due to the nature of forums, you were pointing out the flaws in the the post you quoted for the OP's benefit.

Fire and meths does actually go quite well together, fantastic for heating things like mini steam engines and the like. Just don't light an entire bottle, it needs to be regulated.[/quote]

:rolleyes: no worries. Goes well together in your case, not so much for boiling strings on a hob :)

Thanks guys I wasn't really looking for advice on how to do it or alternative/better methods. I was just after the science of boiling. :D

Y'see what I do is if I like a set of strings, when it comes to replacing them I boil them up, bag them and label them then put them in my gig bag (replacing the last set) so in the event of an emergencies (like a string snap - never happened yet but you never know) I've got a zingy spare ready instead of some dull old bit of wire. Yes I'm that anal. :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='447383' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:24 PM'].... not hot enough to affect steel/nickel at that level, the heat will make it expand a little though.....[/quote]
This answers my question I think. Cheers

[quote name='crez5150' post='447394' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:34 PM']I like to Saute mine in a little Garlic an ginger....... Mmmmmmm[/quote]
Nice one. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ou7shined

On reflection, due to the nature of steel, there is an outside chance that if you were to heat the entire string carefully and evenly to white hot (but not enough to melt it), it might completely rejuvinate the string as you will be applying enough heat to alter the structure and temper them again.

Or it might bugger them.

Eitherway, anyone with a blowtorch and the needed support equipment fancy trying it out? :)

And you might get carbon scoring all on your fingers when you play, but that's only a minor issue.