Why become a member? ×

A pair of Sei

molan

I’ve been lusting after this burgundy mist Sei from the first time I saw it about 3 years ago. 

Finally got round to purchasing it and couldn’t be happier. 

Almost perfect spec for me 33.5” scale, a P that sounds great solo’d or mixed with the bridge humbucker (which can also be really snarly solo’d), sounds just fine in passive mode,  super slim striped maple neck, lovely fingerboard, very low action, through neck with beautifully carved neck to body alignment, bound body, back-angled headstock and even has nice subtle white LEDs on the top of the neck. 

Sits beautifully on the wall next to my other Sei too 😉

6E9E55AD-A5D1-45BF-90ED-B7E87C87AC5F.jpeg

• Like 21

4 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Very nice Barrie and very understated compared to some of your other basses! 😉

Hope you're keeping well 

Thanks, Nick I’m good. 

planning on slimming the accumulation of basses down so I just have a few I actually play!

There’s currently 36 of the buggers kicking around so quite a few need to go 🙈

Edited by molan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, molan said:

Thanks, I’m good. 

I’m good, planning on slimming the accumulation of basses down so I just have a few I actually play!

There’s currently 36 of the buggers kicking around so quite a few need to go 🙈

😲. Bass Gear 2, The Revenge of Molan? 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, JapanAxe said:

Barrie is your house made from bits of the old Bassgear shop?

It is indeed!

Well, the slatwalls are in my study anyway :)

It was all part of a plan to run the business from the study (it’s a soundproofed, brick built, building with dedicated power supply, heating, 500mbps internet etc). 

Vic was going to run it as a demo unit 3-4 days a week or by appointment and I’d manage the web site and finances. 

Unfortunately the loss of our Victor in the run-up to establishing it really knocked me back and I’ve not had the enthusiasm to reboot it. 

Was about to get going last autumn but got offered a freelance consultancy project on a 12 month contract just 10 days after ‘restoration’ stuff started. 

The consulting gig pays about the same in a week as I could earn from Bassgear in a month - in fact, it’s actually more like more in 2 days vs what little we used to take out of the business. 

About 6 of the basses are BG owned plus a small selection of, never used, MarkBass amps, some ATS and a few boxes of strings 🤦‍♂️
Maybe I’ll start by selling some ex-BG stuff before the private ones. Will see how much time I have spare. 

Just in the process of putting a 2nd band together so that’ll get ‘in the way’ a bit 😂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, molan said:

It is indeed!

Well, the slatwalls are in my study anyway :)

It was all part of a plan to run the business from the study (it’s a soundproofed, brick built, building with dedicated power supply, heating, 500mbps internet etc). 

Vic was going to run it as a demo unit 3-4 days a week or by appointment and I’d manage the web site and finances. 

Unfortunately the loss of our Victor in the run-up to establishing it really knocked me back and I’ve not had the enthusiasm to reboot it. 

Was about to get going last autumn but got offered a freelance consultancy project on a 12 month contract just 10 days after ‘restoration’ stuff started. 

The consulting gig pays about the same in a week as I could earn from Bassgear in a month - in fact, it’s actually more like more in 2 days vs what little we used to take out of the business. 

About 6 of the basses are BG owned plus a small selection of, never used, MarkBass amps, some ATS and a few boxes of strings 🤦‍♂️
Maybe I’ll start by selling some ex-BG stuff before the private ones. Will see how much time I have spare. 

Just in the process of putting a 2nd band together so that’ll get ‘in the way’ a bit 😂

I still think about Vic a lot, bless him.  I used to love popping along to Bass Gear to see you all. 

Happy Days :)

16 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

70756082_896097754106383_922302548453359616_n.thumb.jpg.032b9e43000826924e27c415f78526a3.jpgI do love me a Sei. I remember buying this J5 from you many moons ago Barrie.

I remember that one suddenly appearing in the shop one day from the next owner. 

He was a pro gigging player and this was his main instrument. 

On 04/06/2021 at 16:35, molan said:

I’ve been lusting after this burgundy mist Sei from the first time I saw it about 3 years ago. 

Finally got round to purchasing it and couldn’t be happier. 

Almost perfect spec for me 33.5” scale, a P that sounds great solo’d or mixed with the bridge humbucker (which can also be really snarly solo’d), sounds just fine in passive mode,  super slim striped maple neck, lovely fingerboard, very low action, through neck with beautifully carved neck to body alignment, bound body, back-angled headstock and even has nice subtle white LEDs on the top of the neck. 

Sits beautifully on the wall next to my other Sei too 😉

6E9E55AD-A5D1-45BF-90ED-B7E87C87AC5F.jpeg

Is that Urb’s old Sei on the left? Or is it just an ‘-alike’?

Edited by 4000

Here's my son modelling my beautiful Sei singlecut 5, that I got in 2003:
IMG_2297.thumb.jpeg.2ecff6c4010edfb2376ea330dcf75da4.jpeg

It's currently back at The Gallery with Martin for a bit of long-term maintenance, including some weight reduction - I've owned the bass for 18 years, and my back was in much better shape in 2003. :D These days, a bass with a full wenge body doesn't seem like such a good idea!

All the hardware is being replaced with lightweight Hipshot aluminium stuff, and there'll probably be some chambering going on. The aim is to shave 2lbs off and add at least another 18 years to its playing life! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Here's my son modelling my beautiful Sei singlecut 5, that I got in 2003:
IMG_2297.thumb.jpeg.2ecff6c4010edfb2376ea330dcf75da4.jpeg

It's currently back at The Gallery with Martin for a bit of long-term maintenance, including some weight reduction - I've owned the bass for 18 years, and my back was in much better shape in 2003. :D These days, a bass with a full wenge body doesn't seem like such a good idea!

All the hardware is being replaced with lightweight Hipshot aluminium stuff, and there'll probably be some chambering going on. The aim is to shave 2lbs off and add at least another 18 years to its playing life! 

Amazing how when you’re younger you always tend to think everything will still be functioning the same in 20 years time. I’m the same, at no time when I was playing my 12lb plus Jaydee in my early ‘30s did it ever occur to me that I’d one day be struggling with 9lb basses. 

Gorgeous bass by the way. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 4000 said:

Amazing how when you’re younger you always tend to think everything will still be functioning the same in 20 years time. I’m the same, at no time when I was playing my 12lb plus Jaydee in my early ‘30s did it ever occur to me that I’d one day be struggling with 9lb basses. 

Gorgeous bass by the way. 

Thank you. :D I've been playing it so long it's practically a part of me, but my back disagrees! 

Once my current bass is done being overhauled, I've got two more in the process of being specced out - fretted and fretless 6-strings. I've asked Martin to make light weight a priority - I like the tone of the dense African hardwoods like wenge, bubinga, ebony etc, so we're going to use those in the necks, but the body wings will be chambered to the point of being practically hollow, and Martin has suggested paulowina as a lightweight body wood. I've heard it's pretty soft, one step above balsa wood in terms of durability, but he's confident it will work well. They're also going to have fairly unique finishes for Sei basses (stained quartersawn ash, with coloured hardware). So I might have something to show you on that count in about 18 months - can't wait. :D

• Like 2