Why become a member? ×

"We Are Ladyparts" - TV show

Nail Soup

Anyone else watching "We are Ladyparts" on Channel 4 (Thursdays at 10pm or on catch-up)?

It's a comedy series about a all-female muslim punk band who recruit a new lead guitarist.

There's a number of non-musical sub plots (which I like) but I think the musical side and band side is pretty good too.

The songs sound like a real band would, and they at least look like they can play the instruments - e.g bass players hand moves with the chord changes.

Thoughts?

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Like 1

I hope that it’s as near factual re setting up a band as possible, no need for people without a clue trying to be funny as there’s enough humour/silliness involved with musicians anyway 

And great to see punk brought to the forefront for a change, will have to watch this from now on 

Edited by Lozz196

I'm really enjoying it. Ayesha, the drummer, is brilliant.

The woman who plays Amina is a singer/songwriter.

Ah:

"All music on the soundtrack is performed by the series’ fictional punk band Lady Parts, comprising Anjana Vasan (“Amina Hussain”), Sarah Kameela Impey (“Saira”), Juliette Motamed (“Ayesha”) and Faith Omole (“Bisma”). Other tracks include “Bashir With the Good Beard,” “Fish and Chips” as well as covers of Dolly Parton’s “9 to 5” and Queen’s “We Are the Champions.”"

https://variety.com/2021/music/global/we-are-lady-parts-soundtrack-1234978205/

Edited by bartelby
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bartelby said:

Ayesha, the drummer, is brilliant

I liked her reaction to the initial suggestion to add a lead guitarist to the line up.

Can't remember the full rant but it included something along the lines of "Why do we want some egomaniac jizzing all over our songs?":lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 03/06/2021 at 22:40, Nail Soup said:

Anyone else watching "We are Ladyparts" on Channel 4 (Thursdays at 10pm or on catch-up)?

It's a comedy series about a all-female muslim punk band who recruit a new lead guitarist.

There's a number of non-musical sub plots (which I like) but I think the musical side and band side is pretty good too.

The songs sound like a real band would, and they at least look like they can play the instruments - e.g bass players hand moves with the chord changes.

Thoughts?

Thanks for this.  I watched the first 4 episodes tonight after work and I'll continue after work tomorrow.

My missus is a muslim, though she is quite anti-hijab.

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

How long before a Fatwa gets issued on them to close it down?

You’ve twice tried to push this in an anti-Muslim direction, and it’s worked neither time. It’s a good show about a band who happen to be of a different ethnicity. It looks like a lot of fun. Perhaps watch the show and let us know what you think!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

You’ve twice tried to push this in an anti-Muslim direction, and it’s worked neither time. It’s a good show about a band who happen to be of a different ethnicity. It looks like a lot of fun. Perhaps watch the show and let us know what you think!

Strikes me as an anti-extremism direction rather than anti-Islam in general. I guess it depends on interpretation. I can see this as exactly the sort of thing that would make the fundamentalists utterly furious, in the same way that a sitcom about, for example, a gay vicar would drive the Westboro Baptist Church loons batsht with rage. Anything that annoys these sort of extremist people is a good thing in my books. 

I have yet to watch this, but I'm definitely going to.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

It sounds like a lot of fun but I doubt it will make it to air here on account of 'too soon' since the mosque massacres in Christchurch. I am indeed anti a few 'Muslims' that the majority disown for obvious lack of civility.

The most famous comic here is still Billy T James, RIP. When they give out awards to comics they are ''The Billy T's''. He was fond of mercilessly taking the Mickey out of his fellow Maori folk stereotypes. He didn't escape criticism from Kaumatua but they weren't the only ones missing the simultaneous jabs at Colonial whiteys.

Taking the gypsy's kiss out of oneself is a hallmark of UK humour. It's great that the UK Muslims are getting in on the act. Even better when it's a musical.

I’m bingeing this at the moment whilst doing the ironing, and so far it’s not much of a comedy, but a brilliant little series. 
Highlight so far is their cover of ‘9 to 5’.

Some good puns in there too (haram’ed and dangerous) - great but if writing!