Why become a member? ×

Learning book recommendations please

orm-irian

My eub lands next week, I've got a teacher lined up, but I'm wondering if anyone's got recommendations for good exercise books to learn from for pizz only? (I won't be using a bow because I can't hold one for reasons of anatomy, but pizz is fine). 

I guess I'm after books with scales, études, that kind of thing, ideally not aimed at kids (I'm Old™). I already have a solid musical background, so I don't need "this is a bar line" level of education.

Any thoughts?

Whilst you are waiting for replies - I would suggest you look at some of the online courses that come with printable Pdf's with scales etudes etc. There's no shortage of learning material on YT, but I would suggest looking at Geoff Chalmers 'Discover Double Bass', with numerous course available, but his beginners course would be a good start, all with score sheets.

One of my first purchases was 'The Evolving Bassist' by Rufus Reid, which will give you scales and etudes - and is highly recommended by many bassists and will probably suit your needs well.

There is a series by Stephen Mooney, starting with Book 1 - Constructing Walking Jazz Bass Lines - Blues(about 5 books in total). The play-along books by Hal Leonard (with CD) are also worth a look.

After that, books like 'The Jazz Book' by John Goldsby, for more advanced technique and tradition.

Good luck

• Like 1

On 03/06/2021 at 17:27, orm-irian said:

I guess I'm after books with scales, études, that kind of thing, ideally not aimed at kids (I'm Old™). I already have a solid musical background, so I don't need "this is a bar line" level of education.

It's hard to find but if you see a copy of Monk Montgomery's electric bass method at a reasonable price then that might be worth getting.
It's pretty much entirely scales, études etc., plus some transcriptions from some of his recording. Dots only.

• Like 1

+1 for The Jazz Bass Book by John Goldsby - not strictly a "method" book, but it does contain loads of great information and transcriptions from bass players throughout the history of jazz so you'll learn a lot from it.

The Jazz Bass Line Book by Mike Downes is also a great resource. Lots of examples in different styles plus side-by-side comparisons between different players over the same tunes.

Edited by tinyd

I just want to check that you are aware that there are two different bow holds for bass? There's the overhand  that's similar to cello and there's underhand aka German bow hold which is similar to how you play the viola da gamba?

5 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

I just want to check that you are aware that there are two different bow holds for bass? There's the overhand  that's similar to cello and there's underhand aka German bow hold which is similar to how you play the viola da gamba?

I think he's only going to be playing pizz!

I can't hold a bow at all, thanks to missing hand-arm-shoulder muscles. I'm going to experiment with bowing left-handed at some point in the future, but I doubt my right hand can hold the strings down (certainly I can't do 1/2 or 1st or 2nd position stretch with my shorter fingers). I'm content with pizz.

also fwiw in not a he, I'm a they 🙂