Why become a member? ×

What is the heaviest you comfortably listen to?

ubit

18 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I would argue Overkill (the song) isn't thrash. Thrash was that fast, hardcore-derived beat, combined with metal riffs, rather than punk-type chord progressions -

Thats how I viewed it. Thrash came from america, speed metal came from germany :D

• Like 1

The memories of Lars denying thrash (as early as 1988) had me thinking fondly of this BBC Arena documentary, which I watched countless times as a youth. I still have the old VHS tape of it somewhere. It's well worth 60 minutes of your time if you like the heavier side. Great days.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I was 15, this album was as heavy as I went, and I much preferred the fast shouty songs like this one to the g̶r̶o̶w̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶l̶u̶d̶g̶e̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶a̶x̶o̶l̶o̶g̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶m̶e̶n̶t̶a̶r̶i̶l̶y̶ ̶e̶s̶c̶a̶p̶e̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶ proto-grindcore tracks

Edited by Ricky Rioli

21 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

The memories of Lars denying thrash (as early as 1988) had me thinking fondly of this BBC Arena documentary, which I watched countless times as a youth. I still have the old VHS tape of it somewhere. It's well worth 60 minutes of your time if you like the heavier side. Great days.

I watched that documentary so bloody much back in the day.

• Like 2

Never got beyond Black Sabbath as a yoof and was lucky enough to catch Zeppelin at Earls Court in ‘75 but of late have survived on a diet of John Martyn, Nick Drake and Kurt Wagner’s (as opposed to Shari Lewis’s) Lambchop and a smattering of prog.

However, having caught a glimpse of Rammstein at the Download Festival on BBC4/Sky Arts (can’t remember which) I sought out the Madison Square Garden gig on Amazon and am eagerly looking forward to the Paris show, also courtesy of the bald megalomaniac.

I’m starting to obsess, I can feel it, so much so that I’m looking for tickets for Coventry next year when l’ll be in ‘Will you still need me, will you still feed me’ territory.

Cracking stuff!

Edited by skb558

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I shall watch that tomorrow when I can have the volume up, but it seems suitably Spinal Tap 🙂

4 hours ago, Bolo said:

This list represents a major part of my formative years! A few personal additions because I'm feeling nostalgic, in no particular order:

Snap! Although I have never heard of Dead Head (Dutch band? - thanks Google)

Also, I cannot stand Bobby Blitz's voice so sorry, no Overkill for me either.

5 hours ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Snap! Although I have never heard of Dead Head (Dutch band? - thanks Google)

Correct, might also want to check out Sinister, Gorefest and Pestilence if you like going Dutch.

24 minutes ago, Bolo said:

Correct, might also want to check out Sinister, Gorefest and Pestilence if you like going Dutch.

Can’t any metal bands buck the trend and call themselves something like Sunday Lie In, Wholesome fun or Tea with Nanna instead?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Can’t any metal bands buck the trend and call themselves something like Sunday Lie In, Wholesome fun or Tea with Nanna instead?

Be careful what you wish for ..

Who remembers this unfortunate incident involving Anthrax:

During the 2001 anthrax attacks in the United States the band changed its website, providing information about the disease after people began searching "anthrax.com" on internet search engines. Amid a potential PR nightmare, Anthrax issued a press release on October 10, 2001, joking that the band's name would be changed to "something more friendly, like 'Basket Full of Puppies'." Anthrax dispelled any name-change rumors derived from the press release at the November 2001 New York Steel 9/11 benefit concert, when they took the stage in boiler suits with a different word on each one which ultimately read "We're not changing our name". Bello has stated they did so after receiving support from members of the NYPD and FDNY, who believed that changing the name of the band would send the wrong message. A picture of the band in the suits is on the inner tray card of We've Come for You All.

I also recall reading an interview at the time in Kerrang or some other metal mag, when one of the guys in Anthrax stated that in the event of being targeted in an actual Anthrax attack, he refused to die an ironic death.

We can laugh about it now 😁

Edited by MHMSWC#03
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, tegs07 said:

There's always Party Cannon.

The choice is between innocent pop music which is adults singing about how badly they want to make love to teenagers, hip hop about how badly they want to do crime, metal about how people should stop doing awful thing (and naming all those thing in gross detail), or jazz about skeee bop bop dowop paah.

32 minutes ago, Bolo said:

There's always Party Cannon.

The choice is between innocent pop music which is adults singing about how badly they want to make love to teenagers, hip hop about how badly they want to do crime, metal about how people should stop doing awful thing (and naming all those thing in gross detail), or jazz about skeee bop bop dowop paah.

Not heard of party canon. Pop increasingly seems to be compromised of actual teenagers singing about being teenagers, hip hop has developed a social conscience so in some ways going full circle. I have no idea about new metal bands. I’m still stuck in the Motörhead/Sabbath dark ages. 
Edit: Forgot Jazz. Will add blues to this. Another poster on Basschat is in a blues band and described his audience as “grey hairs and no hairs” which is my experience of going to gigs of the genre. Real shame and needs new blood and energy. Thankfully metal seems to keep re-inventing itself and has so far escaped the demise.

Edited by tegs07

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Not heard of party canon.

Party cannon are the group on that poster that is around (Probably also on this thread somewhere) that stand out as the only non-conforming metal group - ie, all the other groups are in white text on black with spidery scrawly can't-really-read font, and party canon are baloon letters in colour!

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Party cannon are the group on that poster that is around (Probably also on this thread somewhere) that stand out as the only non-conforming metal group - ie, all the other groups are in white text on black with spidery scrawly can't-really-read font, and party canon are baloon letters in colour!

Ta. Just played them on you tube. Not my bag. They appear to have a creature from a bad sci-fi film as a lead singer.

12 hours ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

also recall reading an interview at the time in Kerrang or some other metal mag, when one of the guys in Anthrax stated that in the event of being targeted in an actual Anthrax attack, he refused to die an ironic death

I've never forgotten that line. iirc he had got himself some anthrax antidote ready. Does that sound right?

• Like 1

Metal isn't the first to come out with dodgy lyrics. Look at most sixties songs. Grown men leering at young girls and we shouldn't be doing this because you are too young etc.Some of the songs are totally paedo!