Why become a member? ×

What is the heaviest you comfortably listen to?

ubit

1 hour ago, acidbass said:

Ghost are probably my favourite metal band since Metallica.  Absolutely fantastic

Ghost are interesting.

Metalheads can be rather fickle sometimes. Desperate for something new to come along after years of metalcore/screamo and when it does i.e. classic metal riffs and powerful clean vocals albeit with pop style hooks and lyrics about devil worship, they don't like it!

I saw them in Portland, OR in 2019 - absolutely fantastic live show. 

• Confused 1

The early hoo-haa over them was very funny. The demo got a lot of kvlt interest and they released a 7" for Elisabeth, I think. Once they started getting popular and the pop sensibilities started to shine through, the kvlt elite started having a meltdown. I saw a video of one chap burning his copy of the 7" 😂 What a plonker.

Anyway, when I think heavy, I usually think this album. Heavy as a very heavy thing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I think there's a few different types of heavy. There's the thrashy heavy of Slayer or the death heavy of Sepultura or the slow crushing doom heavy of Yob. 

I love the slow doom type heavy which makes you feel like the world is ending and Satan is rising with demons to destroy your soul. Its really lovely on a sunny afternoon. 

Where I feel challenged is thrashy grundcore like Napalm Death. I find it uncomfortable to listen to but that's how it should be. It's not intended as easy listening elevator music. 

Nothing like a hot, sunny day to make you want to blast some atmospheric black metal 👍

3 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Ghost are interesting.

Shortly after emerging back into society following several years of caring for my offspring in a vacuum-like existence, I found myself once again in a rock club with my old pals, re-living the heavy metal lifestyle of my youth. Sitting there with my pint, I pointed at the ceiling and said to a mate, "What's this??" as a Ghost track filled the dancefloor. "It's Ghost!" he said. And then added, "It's post-metal!"

I stopped listening to him after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Nothing like a hot, sunny day to make you want to blast some atmospheric black metal 👍

Shortly after emerging back into society following several years of caring for my offspring in a vacuum-like existence, I found myself once again in a rock club with my old pals, re-living the heavy metal lifestyle of my youth. Sitting there with my pint, I pointed at the ceiling and said to a mate, "What's this??" as a Ghost track filled the dancefloor. "It's Ghost!" he said. And then added, "It's post-metal!"

I stopped listening to him after that.

Post-metal?

Royal Mail employees who got together to make some heads bang? 😂

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Post-metal?

Royal Mail employees who got together to make some heads bang? 😂

Post-metal is a genuine genre (see Cult Of Luna), but it sounds almost nothing like Ghost

I never really listened to Ghost before and since they were mentioned above I thought I'd give it a bash. I won't be listening to them again. They sound like a cheesy pop group sampling some bad Swedish metal riffs. They are the ABBA of metal 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I never really listened to Ghost before and since they were mentioned above I thought I'd give it a bash. I won't be listening to them again. They sound like a cheesy pop group sampling some bad Swedish metal riffs. They are the ABBA of metal 

Hence their popularity on the festival circuit

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Yeah, I can't get on with their synthyness ... It was very much a case of "How long have I been out for??" and "Come back, Judas Priest. All is forgiven." 😆