Why become a member? ×

What is the heaviest you comfortably listen to?

ubit

On 08/06/2021 at 15:00, Machines said:

Drag the slider to end of video. Click restart.

No ads.

I am happy to watch 5 seconds of an ad so that the content creator makes some money, most channels I watch regularly have less than 1M followers, I look at it the same way as buying EPs etc. 

• Like 1

Hmm. Interesting question, as so far as I’m concerned I’ve never heard anything heavier than the end section of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. And I love SBS. Of course I’ve listened to loads of stuff that most people would think is much, much heavier, but for me it just isn’t.

That quibble aside, I probably go about as heavy as the heaviest bits of Babymetal (say something like BxMxC) but it really does depend. And if your tastes are way beyond that, that’s absolutely fine by me. 

• Like 3

On 08/06/2021 at 14:15, bassintheface said:

My mate is the guitarist in this band - not a massive fan of this style generally but I totally respect the skills and playing chops etc....

I love Xerath! Too bad they disbanded in 2017, the 3 albums I have from them are all awesome. Djenty, orchestral, and pretty intense. 

5 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

I love Xerath! Too bad they disbanded in 2017, the 3 albums I have from them are all awesome. Djenty, orchestral, and pretty intense. 

Yeah, all great players.

Owain the guitarist and I were in our first band together in the late 90's for a few years.

He's stinky poo hot to be fair.

We're still in touch. He went off to ACM Guildford but is now back local.

It doesn't get much heavier than this, and it's one of my favourite tunes:

I'm good with anything slow and heavy, it's the fast thrashy or growling/screaming stuff that I can't handle much of (unless listening live, then I get stuck in!). 

Or another type of heavy, Autechre are great but this pushes me beyond what I'd comfortably listen to....an uncomfortable listen is good sometimes though!

Edited by SumOne

6 hours ago, SumOne said:

It doesn't get much heavier than this, and it's one of my favourite tunes:

I'm good with anything slow and heavy, it's the fast thrashy or growling/screaming stuff that I can't handle much of (unless listening live, then I get stuck in!). 

Or another type of heavy, Autechre are great but this pushes me beyond what I'd comfortably listen to....an uncomfortable listen is good sometimes though!

Oh yes, Electric Wizard are awesome, that huge , bassy wall of fuzz is awesome, that particular one is probably my favourite by them

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 2

I don't have a problem with the music in Heavy Metal and all of it's spinoffs but I do have a problem with the posturing which gets more and more cliched as the years pass. I long ago learned that this approach is for young people who express themselves in ways that reflect the zeitgeist of the day and in ways that suggest only a limited perspective on the historical/cultural context in which things take place. In short, I am not the audience they are seeking to appeal to.

Motorhead, Zep, Deep Purple, The Who, Iron Butterfly, Mahavishnu Orchestra - they have all been accused of being too heavy, too fast and too loud. It's all 'kin marvellous.

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 2

Loving so much of the links so far. 

When I first heard this it reminded me of slayer. It totally challenged me (which I love). 

And one of the heaviest gigs I ever went to was the Bug in a tiny club with a sound system 10 times to big for the space. Kevin Martin has worked with Earth and Justin broadrick from godflesh as well as all the dancehall and grime artists. A really interesting Venn diagram of my interests! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fishfacefour said:

When I first heard this it reminded me of slayer. It totally challenged me (which I love). 

And one of the heaviest gigs I ever went to was the Bug in a tiny club with a sound system 10 times to big for the space. Kevin Martin has worked with Earth and Justin broadrick from godflesh as well as all the dancehall and grime artists. A really interesting Venn diagram of my interests! 

Yeah the Bug is excellent and I like his other stuff too. I saw him DJing and Poison Dart got about 6 reloads- some intentional but mostly as he was playing vinyl and when the bass kicked in (or perhaps also people jumping about) it kept making the needle skip!

Edited by SumOne

3 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Yeah the Bug is excellent and I like his other stuff too. I saw him DJing and Poison Dart got about 6 reloads- some intentional but mostly as he was playing vinyl and when the bass kicked in (or perhaps also people jumping about) it kept making the needle skip!

Man, the bass weight on this is insane! 

Reminded me of a sound system as a teenager and having to leave as the bass was hurting my insides 

52 minutes ago, Fishfacefour said:

I think you have landed on the wrong thread.

2 hours ago, ubit said:

I think you have landed on the wrong thread.

Why? 

Heavy doesn't always equate to metal. 😁We've already had wagner and Stravinsky. 

I'm genuinely interested to hear what others thought of death grips. Their ex-military album felt so much like a metal album to me. 

Is it heavy or is it extreme? 

3 hours ago, Fishfacefour said:

on paper I should love The Bug. But I've seen him 3 times. The Bug, The Bug & Dylan Carlson and as Zonal and it's never clicked with me.

13 minutes ago, Fishfacefour said:

Why? 

Heavy doesn't always equate to metal. 😁We've already had wagner and Stravinsky. 

I'm genuinely interested to hear what others thought of death grips. Their ex-military album felt so much like a metal album to me. 

Is it heavy or is it extreme? 

I used to be in a band with a drummer who absolutely loved Death Grips, based from his love of the drummer Zach Hill's work in Hella. He is a pretty incredible drummer.

I don't mind the music but I totally went off the band after they either no-showed or half-arsed a bunch of live performances, with the Lollapalooza no-show/debacle being the worst. Owing to that I really stopped paying much attention to them after about 2015.

I think there's a few different types of heavy. There's the thrashy heavy of Slayer or the death heavy of Sepultura or the slow crushing doom heavy of Yob. 

I love the slow doom type heavy which makes you feel like the world is ending and Satan is rising with demons to destroy your soul. Its really lovely on a sunny afternoon. 

Where I feel challenged is thrashy grundcore like Napalm Death. I find it uncomfortable to listen to but that's how it should be. It's not intended as easy listening elevator music.