Why become a member? ×

What is the heaviest you comfortably listen to?

ubit

19 minutes ago, Russ said:

Yep, but she only ever did screaming, she never really did the melodic thing. Her successor in AE, Alissa White-Gluz, is worth hearing though, as, like Tatiana from Jinjer, she does both and does them pretty well. 

Angela resurfaced recently and did a song with Amaranthe (whom she manages). It's pretty good, she's still got it. :)

If the October Behemoth/Arch Enemy/Carcass tour does go ahead, I will get to see Alissa 👍

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Russ said:

Amaranthe

That sounds to me like a Finnish entry for the Eurovision Song Contest!

I much prefer this, which is both heavy and like nobody else - like a Cardiacs of the metal world! And performing in a clothes shop, with no black clothes for the whole band!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Amaranthe always seemed like prime Eurovision fodder to me, especially in the post-Lordi world! They're heavy enough for the hairy headbangers and yet poppy enough for the masses. One of those "something for everyone" bands. 

Bonus points to you for the first mention of The Cardiacs on this thread. :D

11 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I much prefer this, which is both heavy and like nobody else - like a Cardiacs of the metal world! And performing in a clothes shop, with no black clothes for the whole band!

I really like Rolo Tomasi, their most recent album is particularly good 

2 hours ago, ubit said:

I was too mate but that was my original point. I have found my musical tastes have developed and evolved over the years. I STILL  love these old bands and Rush are my all time favourites but I LOVE hearing new music and finding new bands. I find I can listen to music from all genres and enjoy it.

I've gone the other direction. My 2nd band is a more blues based rock band covering Tony Joe White, JJ Cale, John Mayall, Peter Green, Eric Clapton, Commitments (not Mustang Sally tho 😀) with a few rock songs thrown in but its a style i had never really done before. Its not that laid back slow guitar solo style blues stuff which i have tried many years ago and didn't like it. What it did was highlight an interest in some of those bands and more away from heavy rock.

I just cant get into that really heavy metal stuff like Metallica and heavier. I've tried listening and it just does nothing for me at all. Same with Dream Theater. Great individual musicians but put em all together and nowt for me i'm afraid.

I am more of a prog fan than anything else and would like nothing better than doing Prog covers but can't get the staff these days. 😁

Dave

I did hear a Rammstein album once and was quite impressed. 

Dont laugh but it was a management training course i was on and the guy that was running it had asked his daughter to put some songs on his MP3. That's what she put on and the guy played it at the breaks for coffee or lunch which was all brought in for us.

Think that might be the heaviest i've enjoyed.

Dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ubit said:

It's so annoying now because even with ad blocker you are forced to watch an advert and more often than not two adverts every time you want to watch a video

Its a shame that, but they really want you to sign up to the paid service. I assume it would just get harder and harder to use until you have no choice, but they have to keep the free option there, because they made all those promises about it being free for ever.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

It really does, its very 'how metal groups are supposed to sound'.

56 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

See, where i couldn't really listen to that for long, primarily due to the singing, I can appreciate it more because they are doing what they want to do because they want to do it, rather than it being the thing that people do, like a lot of the previous metal stuff. That is what the yoof should be doing.

I guess eventually they will all put on black viking inspired clothes, get a band logo with monochrome spikey fonts, and sound like everyone else, but in the mean time it is good!

1 hour ago, ubit said:

It's so annoying now because even with ad blocker you are forced to watch an advert and more often than not two adverts every time you want to watch a video

I dont get adverts on youtube when i watch things ?

34 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I can't watch anything on youtube without adds

It’s got really bad since they changed the terms of service to allow ads to be automatically inserted on anything, even if the owner didn’t have monetisation enabled and doesn’t want ads.

I don’t mind ads at the beginning and ends, but the mid-roll ones are dire.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

It’s got really bad since they changed the terms of service to allow ads to be automatically inserted on anything, even if the owner didn’t have monetisation enabled and doesn’t want ads.

I don’t mind ads at the beginning and ends, but the mid-roll ones are dire.

I had no idea there were ads. I honestly dont get any at all.

Dave

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I had no idea there were ads. I honestly dont get any at all.

Dave

You are so lucky mate. Do you have an ad blocker by any chance? I have one but it doesn't work anymore for Youtube

• Like 1

I get ads like crazy when watching youtube on my phone. The algorithm they have for working out a suitable pause in the broadcast to break for an ad is hilariously bad.

On my desktop PC (probably because I'm signed into google elsewhere), no ads. But also I have Adblock Plus installed.

17 minutes ago, toneknob said:

On my desktop PC (probably because I'm signed into google elsewhere), no ads. But also I have Adblock Plus installed.

I have Ad block plus and I get lots of ads