Why become a member? ×

What is the heaviest you comfortably listen to?

ubit

Monster Magnet

More a fan of the Zepplin, Budgie, Alice Cooper, Hawkwind and Motorhead styles of music.

Never 'got' the Heavy Metal Metalica, Megadeath, Slayer thing. Always came across as a joke or a toy.

But, each to their own, The style of music certainly has its fans, a music can be such an important part of of life, particulatly in ones teenage years, it was for me, whatever gets people together to enjoy has got to be a good thing.

Eldest is into My Chemical Romance, not my cup of tea, but great to see the pleasure it brigs them, and we have tickets for whenever the 'Reformed' Milton Keynes gig... whenever it gets rescheduled.

Cradle of filth, Dimmu Borgir, Morbid angel, Mushroom head, Slayer, Pantera, Killswitch engage, raging speedhorn, sikth..... I like a bit of everything and anything generally but I draw the line at things like Nile and 'agoraphoboic nosebleed' where it's someone growling incoherently down a mic for 5 minutes while a guitar shrieks in the background.

Edited by Sarah5string

4 hours ago, ubit said:

What you mean like this? I like this.

This must take some vocal dexterity.

Jinjer have basically created their own video genre on Youtube - the "Pisces Reaction Video", full of people who are lulled into a false sense of security by the gentle intro, which inevitably turns into a fishy-gape "WTF" moment when Tatiana changes gears for the chorus... 

Incidentally, Eugene from Jinjer is one hell of a bass player. 

Some extreme metal musicians are nothing like their stage personas when offstage. George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher from Cannibal Corpse is a prime example. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grandad said:

"In more extreme forms of the genre though, the lyrics can get downright disgusting. Whether it be about cannibalism, rape, self-mutilation, or sexual deviancy – for better or for worse (mostly the latter), heavy metal has had some of the most deplorable and abhorrent messages scattered across its twisted backbone over the years."

I'm afraid to say there is some truth in the above quote. 

I really don't want to listen to such stuff. 

I think some Zappa is probably the heaviest music I would listen to nowadays. I like his tongue in cheek attitude. 

My current delve through the history of C&W has lead me in the opposite direction to seek out 'nice' music. Nice to listen to, nice to play, nice to sing along to. 

That and back to practicing with my Jazz quartet, which of course is nice. 

Extreme metal is the musical equivalent of a splatter-gore horror film, and, like the Evil Dead or any of Peter Jackson's early films, mostly has its tongue firmly wedged in its cheek and is mostly not to be taken too seriously. 

If you could quite happily watch a horror movie and then come out with a Mary Whitehouse-style comment like the above, you're doing it wrong. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Russ said:

Jinjer have basically created their own video genre on Youtube - the "Pisces Reaction Video", full of people who are lulled into a false sense of security by the gentle intro, which inevitably turns into a fishy-gape "WTF" moment when Tatiana changes gears for the chorus... 

Disagree. Opeth have been doing that since their first album 'Orchid' in 2000.

8 minutes ago, Russ said:

Incidentally, Eugene from Jinjer is one hell of a bass player.

couldn't agree more mate, I love this!

3 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Disagree. Opeth have been doing that since their first album 'Orchid' in 2000.

Youtube didn't come out until 2005. :D

But yes, the "chiaroscuro" vocal thing has been around for a while. I mean, you can go back to stuff like Cemetery Gates by Pantera to hear that sort of thing, and that came out in 1990. I think the Jinjer example is a little bit different, as most people don't expect to hear a full-throated death metal roar coming from a woman. 

Edited by Russ

I was the only kid at school with long hair who never even had an Iron Maiden phase. About the heaviest I can listen to is Guns N Roses and they are not my favourites. I spent a lot of time on the rock scene playing punk and glam type stuff but came to it via my parents rock n roll records and more of the 80s alternative bands. I do have a Death metal cookbook though which was bought as a present for my last birthday!?! I cook heavier than I listen.

2 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I was the only kid at school with long hair who never even had an Iron Maiden phase. About the heaviest I can listen to is Guns N Roses and they are not my favourites. I spent a lot of time on the rock scene playing punk and glam type stuff but came to it via my parents rock n roll records and more of the 80s alternative bands. I do have a Death metal cookbook though which was bought as a present for my last birthday!?! I cook heavier than I listen.

There is a well-documented link between extreme metal and cookery. Observe:

Iron Maiden is probably my limit and only on rare occasions altho when i hear a song being played somewhere i enjoy it.

On occasion i have listened to Metallica but would never buy anything by them.

I was brought up mainly on Prog / Jazz rock / classic rock like Rush, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Kiss kinda thing.

Dave

Just now, Russ said:

There is a well-documented link between extreme metal and cookery. Observe:

I think that's literally the guy who wrote the book. He swears a lot, especially considering he's only making a simple pasta sauce but I adapted some of his recipes for a more wholesome culinary experience.

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I was brought up mainly on Prog / Jazz rock / classic rock like Rush, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Kiss kinda thing.

I was too mate but that was my original point. I have found my musical tastes have developed and evolved over the years. I STILL  love these old bands and Rush are my all time favourites but I LOVE hearing new music and finding new bands. I find I can listen to music from all genres and enjoy it.

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Russ said:

Youtube didn't come out until 2005. :D

But yes, the "chiaroscuro" vocal thing has been around for a while. I mean, you can go back to stuff like Cemetery Gates by Pantera to hear that sort of thing, and that came out in 1990. I think the Jinjer example is a little bit different, as most people don't expect to hear a full-throated death metal roar coming from a woman. 

Ha, yes - I understand you meant the video aspect rather than the vocal style. Nothing like listening to a melodic, peaceful line of song knowing full well that someone's going to start shouting any second ..

Also, not trying to be an arse or anything, but Angela Gossow was doing the death metal vocals when she fronted Arch Enemy a good twenty years ago...

44 minutes ago, Russ said:

Extreme metal is the musical equivalent of a splatter-gore horror film, and, like the Evil Dead or any of Peter Jackson's early films, mostly has its tongue firmly wedged in its cheek and is mostly not to be taken too seriously. 

If you could quite happily watch a horror movie and then come out with a Mary Whitehouse-style comment like the above, you're doing it wrong. 

Well I suppose I like to experience some level of jouissance from Art in all genres. 

If that is not there then it's not for me. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Jinjer have basically created their own video genre on Youtube - the "Pisces Reaction Video",

Don't get me started on reaction videos - I must admit  I have never watched on, but wtf? Really just watching random strangers reactions to stuff? Youtube has become really hard to search recently, you used to search for what you wanted and find it, and now you just find a lot of "x reacts to y" video. I mean, I know there is a lockdown so nothing much is being produced but still.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

full of people who are lulled into a false sense of security by the gentle intro, which inevitably turns into a fishy-gape "WTF" moment when Tatiana changes gears for the chorus...

Damn, should have recorded my reaction to that then.

44 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Ha, yes - I understand you meant the video aspect rather than the vocal style. Nothing like listening to a melodic, peaceful line of song knowing full well that someone's going to start shouting any second ..

Also, not trying to be an arse or anything, but Angela Gossow was doing the death metal vocals when she fronted Arch Enemy a good twenty years ago...

Yep, but she only ever did screaming, she never really did the melodic thing. Her successor in AE, Alissa White-Gluz, is worth hearing though, as, like Tatiana from Jinjer, she does both and does them pretty well. 

Angela resurfaced recently and did a song with Amaranthe (whom she manages). It's pretty good, she's still got it. :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Youtube has become really hard to search recently, you used to search for what you wanted and find it,

It's so annoying now because even with ad blocker you are forced to watch an advert and more often than not two adverts every time you want to watch a video

• Like 1
  • Sad 1