Why become a member? ×

What is the heaviest you comfortably listen to?

ubit

9 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Obitury - Slowly we Rot

Cannibal Corpse - I Cum Blood

Anything after is pretty much nothing new or any more 'extreme'.

Edited by Graham

22 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Obitury - Slowly we Rot

Cannibal Corpse - I Cum Blood

Anything after is pretty much nothing new or any more 'extreme'.

Encouraged me to go back and listen to Reign in Blood after a long break.

It is very prescient. Has anyone else noticed it's got Vladimir Putin/Dobbie the House Elf on the cover?

image.png.ef37b19ade892a844bee023b46ef80d3.png

• Haha 1

"In more extreme forms of the genre though, the lyrics can get downright disgusting. Whether it be about cannibalism, rape, self-mutilation, or sexual deviancy – for better or for worse (mostly the latter), heavy metal has had some of the most deplorable and abhorrent messages scattered across its twisted backbone over the years."

I'm afraid to say there is some truth in the above quote. 

I really don't want to listen to such stuff. 

I think some Zappa is probably the heaviest music I would listen to nowadays. I like his tongue in cheek attitude. 

My current delve through the history of C&W has lead me in the opposite direction to seek out 'nice' music. Nice to listen to, nice to play, nice to sing along to. 

That and back to practicing with my Jazz quartet, which of course is nice. 

Edited by grandad

7 minutes ago, grandad said:

"In more extreme forms of the genre though, the lyrics can get downright disgusting. Whether it be about cannibalism, rape, self-mutilation, or sexual deviancy – for better or for worse (mostly the latter), heavy metal has had some of the most deplorable and abhorrent messages scattered across its twisted backbone over the years."

I think some Zappa is probably the heaviest music I would listen to nowadays. I like his tongue in cheek attitude. 

My current delve through the history of C&W has lead me in the opposite direction to seek out 'nice' music. Nice to listen to, nice to play, nice to sing along to. 

whilst I agree, Infant Annihilator above being one such example. If the video didn't have lyrics I wouldn't have a clue what they were talking about. I think sometimes these lyrics are thrown in as shock value in much the same way as devil worship was played with tongue in cheek back in the 80's. A lot of those bands were decried by the church as being evil and they used to laugh as they supped their tea and biscuits at the ones who were sucked in by the act.

• Thanks 1

I'm slowly coming around to Cookie Monster Opeth - it's gone from "turn off" to "laugh at" to "hang on there's some pretty good music under there", which I'm still moving in the right direction from. Also I've got an new Opeth T-shirt in pink which is nice.

Otherwise Magma, Tool and assorted scandanavian prog and jazz are sitting happily at the "difficult" end of the spectrum at the moment (varying the definition of "heavy" a bit). Also, speaking of which, Panzerballett:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, toneknob said:

I'm slowly coming around to Cookie Monster Opeth - it's gone from "turn off" to "laugh at" to "hang on there's some pretty good music under there", which I'm still moving in the right direction from. Also I've got an new Opeth T-shirt in pink which is nice.

Otherwise Magma, Tool and assorted scandanavian prog and jazz are sitting happily at the "difficult" end of the spectrum at the moment (varying the definition of "heavy" a bit). Also, speaking of which, Panzerballett:

Nah, cookie monster ok but out of time? I can't be doing with that!😉

18 minutes ago, toneknob said:

speaking of which, Panzerballett:

Now that's what I call a good cover!

And talking of Painkiller, I tend to like much of Mr Zorn's stuff - saw him once with Bill Laswell on Bass and Dave Lombardo on drums, and the only bit I didn't like was Lombardo's double kick drum stuff.

Anyway, this is my sort of heavy - Naked City, varying from smooth dinner jazz, to free jazz to absolute screaming racket:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grandad said:

55 minutes ago, ubit said:

whilst I agree, Infant Annihilator above being one such example. If the video didn't have lyrics I wouldn't have a clue what they were talking about. I think sometimes these lyrics are thrown in as shock value in much the same way as devil worship was played with tongue in cheek back in the 80's. A lot of those bands were decried by the church as being evil and they used to laugh as they supped their tea and biscuits at the ones who were sucked in by the act.

Opera anyone?

There really isn't anything new. Most lyrical subject matter in the various forms of metal have already been covered in one form or another, by Opera 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandad said:

For sure you won't find any deviancy on a Zappa album...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

They would have nowt to do with any form of sardonic wrath, more like Dionysian frenzy!

Because the Church of Satan is about hedonism and carnality, not devils, gods and anti-gods...

I thought the core belief in Satanism was neutrality?

Although, I am aware that there is more than one school of thought regarding what true Satanism is/means.

1 hour ago, ubit said:

I take most of this stuff with a pinch of salt. It’s largely Theatre and contrived controversy. As for some of the historical practices of established religion there are some things that are genuinely shocking and more warped than some gangly Norwegian teenagers can ever dream of.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grandad said:

This was pretty popular on mainstream radio last year: