Why become a member? ×

What is the heaviest you comfortably listen to?

ubit

13 minutes ago, Russ said:

There's also some great prog metal stuff coming out of Australia - Karnivool, Voyager, Caligula's Horse, Plini and so on. I've also developed a new appreciation for "poppy" metal, and am on a big Amaranthe and Beast In Black kick at the moment! 

Have you heard Cog yet? Not quite as "heavy" as Karnivool et al, but a rather good band, well worth a listen. Another Aussie band.

2 hours ago, thodrik said:

anything with loads of drum triggers or has that highly polished Roadrunner America modern metal mix (i.e Five Finger Death Punch/Lamb of God type stuff, 

I'm with you on that F.F.D.P. and L.O.G. I really like!

Interesting replies guys. I have found myself nodding along to some pretty wild stuff that I would never have listened to before. I play music almost all the time on random so when I hear a really heavy number its usually isolated amongst anything from dance to classical. Possibly this allows me to enjoy these songs more as it might be too much to listen to a whole album but then again I would say that about any band.

• Like 1

Good to see Bolt Thrower and Kreator getting a mention, who I just LOVE. To be honest, those bands don't even strike my ear as "heavy" after so long listening to them, even though they are.

I would also put Carcass and Rotting Christ out there as two of my heavier/favourite rotations (hopefully seeing Carcass supporting Behemoth in October if Covid takes a hike??)

Side note to add: live, breath, eat, sleep, die for Megadeth. I have devoted my life to that band.

• Like 4

I enjoy listening to all kinds of stuff. Literally. 
one day I may be hitting the Handel , Bach or some such the next I might be listening to old school Bathory or older darkthrone. 
At the moment, I’m listening to a lot of doom - acrimony, electric wizard, cathedral etc.... and death- death, morbid angel, at the gates. 
I’m always taking a chance on cds on eBay- sometimes with pleasant results. 

As a Maiden fan I  would also listen to Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Obituary and the list goes on. This was in late 80s early 90's due to my friends different taste in music and influence. Never owned a tape, it was usually at someone else's house.

Although what I consider heavy stuff to my comfortable listening are old Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Sepultura...

Somehow , I never get hooked on Slipknot or like bands...

Apart from Maiden , heavier/ faster stuff I sometimes dipped in were  Annihilator, Accept, Running Wild. 

I just love 80' s metal and even 80' pop I must admit

Edited by SH73
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I'm not a massive metal fan, mainly due to the vocals. I love the musicality of metal, I really enjoy instrument metal, but as soon as some one starts screaming I remember it's not for me. 

Screaming may be not your cup of tea, but some vocalists in metal are just fenomenal, Bruce Dickinson, Ronnie James Dio R.I.P., Michael Kiske, Lemmy, Bon Scott ( sort of metal). These cannot be matched by Simon Cowells manufactured horse stinky poo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Screaming may be not your cup of tea, but some vocalists in metal are just fenomenal, Bruce Dickinson, Ronnie James Dio R.I.P., Michael Kiske, Lemmy, Bon Scott ( sort of metal). These cannot be matched by Simon Cowells manufactured horse stinky poo

I totally agree there are some great vocalists in metal, I'm just never drawn to them. 

18 hours ago, Fishfacefour said:

Merzbow anyone? 

Him, Pain Jerk and Incapacitants! 
All awesome.

16 hours ago, Skybone said:

No SWANS fans then?

Or Neurosis.

Or Autopsy.

Etc.

Definitely SWANS and Neurosis.

I’m also partial to:

Death

Sunn O)))

Godflesh

early Scorn and Pitch Sifter

Painkiller, James Plotkin’s stuff, NON, Throbbing Gristle,  Ufomammut… they all get pretty heavy too 

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 2

I can handle as heavy as it gets really, but I prefer (as previously mentioned) some contrast. 

Killswitch and Soilwork are favourites. Love a bit of Mudvayne. Anything with Devin Townsend. Tesseract get quite a few spins, along with a few other djenty bands, Meshuggah, Periphery. 

My YouTube music radio stations are entertaining - everything from John Mayer and Fleetwood Mac to Mudvayne and Ziltoid! 

• Like 1

I love old style heavy music, but can't be doing with too much screaming. 

That said, I love Deep Purple and Gillan could scream with the best of them. But not too keen on Iron Maiden or White snake due to the vocals.

Love RATM - also a bit screamy. It's difficult to define that particular thing that turns you on to a sound.

It's kind of weird as I've leapfrogged right over Black Sabbath, NWOBHM, Iron Madien , Judas Priest and all the US stuff from the 80s to those bands that took a cue from Pantera e.g. Lamb of God, Gojira etc plus Slipknot, Rammstein, early Slayer and a few metalcore bands like While See Sleeps. I draw the line at Nordic black metal, Behemoth and all that very dark stuff.

But there's heavy and there's also heavy in another way as in  'difficult' or 'inaccessible'. I'm a big fan of Warp style electronica.  I've played some Autechre to friends and it does their heads in as does minimalist German techno e.g on the Kompact and Kompost labels.

Reading some of the band names quoted here is scaring the beejeezus outta me, what next? ffs....Anyway what happened to nice cosy names like Deep Purple, Robin Trower, Pat Travers,  AC/DC, Free, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy....you younguns!  haha

• Haha 1