Why become a member? ×

Dream basses that left you disappointed

9 minutes ago, casapete said:

You maybe know this already Dave, but the MM Sterling (US model) has a slimmer neck than the Stingray, and are a great bass. If I could only find a featherweight one it would be my go to instrument.

Our guitarist had 2 of them when he played bass in another band and he was telling me about them too.. Nice looking basses too.

Dave

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, casapete said:

You maybe know this already Dave, but the MM Sterling (US model) has a slimmer neck than the Stingray, and are a great bass. If I could only find a featherweight one it would be my go to instrument.

I used to have one for a brief period. Personally I prefer both the Stingray neck & sound, so I moved it on pretty quickly. However, it was a very nicely made bass and I can't remember it being at all heavy. 

• Like 2

Way back when they first came out, I saw a picture of an Ibanez AFR in a magazine and was intrigued. I've never seen one for real much less played one, what with them making hen's teeth look commonplace.

I now see that they've been reissued and even come up secondhand from time to time, so it's conceivable I might actually meet one one day. If so, I'm fully prepared to find it actually does nothing for me.

1 hour ago, peteb said:

I used to have one for a brief period. Personally I prefer both the Stingray neck & sound, so I moved it on pretty quickly. However, it was a very nicely made bass and I can't remember it being at all heavy. 

Wish I’d had it off you then Pete! I’ve had a couple of them and played a few more and have always been surprised that despite the smaller body dimensions compared to a Ray, they’ve never seemed much or any lighter. Would happily settle for a Ray or a Sterling if I could find one 8lbs ish. My search continues....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Wish I’d had it off you then Pete! I’ve had a couple of them and played a few more and have always been surprised that despite the smaller body dimensions compared to a Ray, they’ve never seemed much or any lighter. Would happily settle for a Ray or a Sterling if I could find one 8lbs ish. My search continues....

Unfortunately, this was getting on for 15 years ago! The trouble is what is heavy for one person isn't an issue for someone else - I have no problems with my 10lbs P bass (although I did once have a Jazz that was over 12lbs, which was a bit too much for me). The Sterling was certainly considerably lighter than the Precision, although I never actually weighed it. 

I've just gone and weighed my current Ray, which is supposedly fractionally over 8lbs. I never thought of it as a particularly heavy bass, but it might just mean that I need some new luggage scales! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

I've described at length elsewhere my disappointment at returning to a Rickenbacker after I'd had one as a kid - luckily it was a new purchase and went back for a refund the next day (it wasn't just I didn't get on with it, it was rubbish for £1600) and that's probably the worst, but, like Lozz, I've loved Stingrays when other people play them...I've had three or four, but they're just not me.

I've had an Alembic and a Sei, and while not disappointed with them, 'underwhelmed' is probably near the mark. Same with Overwater.

Having had a lot of basses, I now know enough about what suits me to not even consider some of my previous 'dream' basses, as I know they really, really wouldn't last long - I'm including Foderas, Statii, Wals and any Jazz clones, no matter how esoteric or Pixie Dust Enabled...

And on the upside, that's saved me a fortune... 😀

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nekomatic said:

Way back when they first came out, I saw a picture of an Ibanez AFR in a magazine and was intrigued.

Light weight, sounds, quality... at least you have to try one. Like Tony does here:

IMG-20210605-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.0216780faba3559a4e95172681f390ae.jpeg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I've described at length elsewhere my disappointment at returning to a Rickenbacker after I'd had one as a kid - luckily it was a new purchase and went back for a refund the next day (it wasn't just I didn't get on with it, it was rubbish for £1600) and that's probably the worst, but, like Lozz, I've loved Stingrays when other people play them...I've had three or four, but they're just not me.

I've had an Alembic and a Sei, and while not disappointed with them, 'underwhelmed' is probably near the mark. Same with Overwater.

Having had a lot of basses, I now know enough about what suits me to not even consider some of my previous 'dream' basses, as I know they really, really wouldn't last long - I'm including Foderas, Statii, Wals and any Jazz clones, no matter how esoteric or Pixie Dust Enabled...

And on the upside, that's saved me a fortune... 😀

Do you mind me asking what it was you didn't like about the Ric bass @Muzz. I had one in 80's and just found the tone very limited. I do have a hanckering for another one but would obviously try before buying.

Dave

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Having had a lot of basses, I now know enough about what suits me to not even consider some of my previous 'dream' basses, as I know they really, really wouldn't last long - I'm including Foderas, Statii, Wals and any Jazz clones, no matter how esoteric or Pixie Dust Enabled.. .

Very well put @Muzz, although if I had written that, Fodera’s, Statii, Wal’s and J’s would all be in the 👍 column. It would be very boring here though if we were all the same.

• Like 2

Not sure if Warwick basses are considered "Dream basses" but the Streamer I once owned and traded was one of the most "ordinary" bass I've ever owned. It excelled in no way at all and had no redeeming features. 

How they built a reputation on this bass I'll never know.

Have to say my Warwick Thumb NT is one of the best basses i've ever had so much that i've kept it since new in 89.

Warwick were populat in late 80's as the new "IN" basses. Did try a streamer and i quite liked that too but that's what makes this such an interesting thread. It highlights how we differ in our taste of basses.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Do you mind me asking what it was you didn't like about the Ric bass @Muzz. I had one in 80's and just found the tone very limited. I do have a hanckering for another one but would obviously try before buying.

Dave

I had a 79 4001 Jetglow (Geddy fantasist, obv...with a side order of Bruce Foxton) which was a big 'it's either this or a party' birthday present in 1980, and my first 'proper' bass. I loved it at the time, and when it came to a big birthday a few years ago, I had some money to splash out on an indulgence bass. It was one of the Walnut/maple ones (4003W), and all other considerations aside (the body ridge, the pickup cover, the daft bridge), with my eyes closed, it wasn't a £1600 bass (I note they're £2400 now...) - the nut was cut too high, there were dead spots on the neck, it wasn't resonant or 'alive'. It looked absolutely fantastic, but the thing didn't play or feel any better than some £200 basses I've played. The sound was a disappointment, too; thin and reedy, no umph to it. I could possibly have persevered, taken it to a luthier maybe, re-jigged my amp EQ, and all that, but after spending a good chunk of money I would've felt like a mug.

I'd definitely try before you buy, maybe I got a Friday Afternoon bass, but someone passed it through QC...even with a good one (and I'm sure there are some), those ergonomics haven't changed in the intervening years, but my tolerance of them had...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Very well put @Muzz, although if I had written that, Fodera’s, Statii, Wal’s and J’s would all be in the 👍 column. It would be very boring here though if we were all the same.

Yeah, one of the great revelations for me was that I'm basically a 'split-coil pickup in the P-position and John East EQ' Boy...all my keeper basses, from the Shukerbird to the actual Shukers, even to the Dingwall, are basically this... 🙂

...I've also found out I'm as shallow as a puddle when it comes to some things, hence the 'no Jazzes, no matter how marvellous' prejudice... 😐🙂

Edited by Muzz
  • Haha 2

Thunderbird. Adore how they look.

They look terrible on me, and sit wrong,

Rickenbacker 4003. Never ever got a sound I liked.

Gutted - it was stunning to look at.

Jaydee Supernatural. Didn’t suit the band I was in - wish I’d held onto it. Been refinished recently and documented on here.

status king bass. Loved the sound, the look - set off shoulder spasms. Gutted.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Thunderbird. Adore how they look.

They look terrible on me, and sit wrong,

Rickenbacker 4003. Never ever got a sound I liked.

Gutted - it was stunning to look at.

Jaydee Supernatural. Didn’t suit the band I was in - wish I’d held onto it. Been refinished recently and documented on here.

status king bass. Loved the sound, the look - set off shoulder spasms. Gutted.

So many parallels!

Thunderbird - too right. Look good on everybody but me. And yeah, totally uncomfortable for me - they are never going to balance due to the strap position. Defo a "look" bass as opposed to being comfortable.

Rickys- that about sums them up. Like playing a broom, look great... but that's about it... sadly.

Jaydee. They look so dated. Dont really get them... Yet loads of people said that I should get one. Never really given them a chance... but never really dug on the MK link. Having said that, an old teacher of mine has a Calibas - really plain... that looked great and sounded great.

I want to hear a King Bass without stupid 30s on... so it could potentially sound like a bass as opposed to a typewriter. I am quite drawn to Status but had a bad experience which means I'm not likely to ever go there. Modulus and Gould have gone silly money too... I just like the idea of quite a dinky bass.

18 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Not sure if Warwick basses are considered "Dream basses" but the Streamer I once owned and traded was one of the most "ordinary" bass I've ever owned. It excelled in no way at all and had no redeeming features. 

How they built a reputation on this bass I'll never know.

The thing is, as I’m sure you’re aware, what you think is awesome may be hopeless to someone else and vice versa. And if enough people’s opinions differ from yours, then they’ll build a reputation. I really wish people would get past the idea that because they don’t like something it can’t possibly work for anyone else or be any use. 

I don’t think I’ve ever had any prior expectations of any bass really, boutique or otherwise. Possibly Fodera and Sadowsky I suppose, which I’ll admit continue to leave me utterly underwhelmed every time I play one (YMMV). And the very rare 21 fret Rick I owned which I expected to sound similar to my other vintage Rics but with an extra fret. It didn’t, it sounded more like an old Jazz, so I sold it. But generally I just take them as they come. If I like them, great. If not, no problem. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2021 at 10:47, dmccombe7 said:

Our guitarist had 2 of them when he played bass in another band and he was telling me about them too.. Nice looking basses too.

Dave

Down to a single EBMM after years of having at least 2.  And the final one is a 2013 US Sterling, it's nowhere near as pretty as the last Ray I had but the neck is sublime and unlike many I prefer the harsher tone of the ceramic pup in series compared to the normal alnico parallel on the Ray.

Sorry Casapete mines above 9lbs...

• Like 1

I used to have a Rickenbacker 4001 copy made by Ibanez, a mate of mine that had recently bought a pucker 4001 Ricky tried mine and moaned that it played and sounded better than the real thing.

I'm a firm believer in the power of budget basses, I've played and got rid of numerous Squier and Fender Jazz Basses over the years, during lockdown I bought a J&D Jazz Bass from DV247 for a little over £100, I stuck in some Wilkinson pickups, put on a high mass bridge from Northwest Guitars and strung it with Elites Detroits flatwounds....it's the best JB I have ever owned and it has some serious thump to it.  It may not be anyone else's dream bass but it's now my main bass and I love it. 

• Like 2

On 09/06/2021 at 11:20, EBS_freak said:

I am quite drawn to Status but had a bad experience which means I'm not likely to ever go there. Modulus and Gould have gone silly money too... I just like the idea of quite a dinky bass.

I hang on to my Streamline as a possible ‘backup’ bass but, 9 times out of 10, I forget to take it with me to gigs 🤦‍♂️

Edited by molan