Why become a member? ×

12V 1200mA power brick?

Hi all

I have a Dave hall VT2 EQ pedal that runs from its own power supply at 12V (doubled to 24V?) at 1200mA

I'd love a power brick to supply it and my other 2  - 9V pedals, a compressor and a TU3 tuner.

Does such a thing exist?

Would less mA be a problem? ie 12V and 500mA.

I always get confused between too much or less voltage and milliamps.

Not 24v (dont feed 24v into it!)

- looking at the manual, it looks like 1200mA 12v is the required draw.

Less mA would be an issue - you can use an adapter with a higher mA rating and the pedal will only draw what it needs. So for example, if you used a 2000mA (2A) adapter, the pedal would only draw 1200mA worth from it, leaving 800mA headroom on the adapter. If your adapter could only supply 500mA, the pedal will attempt to draw 800mA and the adapter will not be able to supply it... and the adapter will likely get hot (and fail) pedal will likely not operate properly as under standard load, the components will require that 12v at 1200mA.

It depends what your compressor is - but getting a dedicated pedal board power supply that has 12v at 1200mA is going to be expensive.

As you are only using 2 other pedals, I would look at a little 9v adapter to power those (using the through on the TU3 to daisy chain power to your compressor) - and use a 12v 1.2A (preferably more, probably 1.5-2A) to power the DHA.

A couple of inline transformers mean you could hide the blocks nicely under the board - or are small enough to keep on top of the board if needs be. (Just need a Y cable into the two transformers). Make sure you use get the polarity right - guitar pedals tend to me centre negative... which is not typical - so you may need a little polarity changer adapter.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I have the original power supply for the DHA pedal so I'm using that but it just looks a bit messy. I was hoping to get a cheap brick to power them all (the compressor is just a Boss LMB 3) but I think its going to be a no no with that large mA draw.

It was just that I sometime get drops in volume from the pedal board to the amp for a few seconds and I was wondering if it was a power supply issue.

The tuner and compressor are just daisy chained from a 9V adaptor. I think I shall have to play around with it all.

I go tuner, compressor, DHA pedal in that order, maybe I could swap that around. I just hope the issue isn't the DHA pedal, that's all :(

1 hour ago, Matt P said:

a laptop style 12v supply with a splitter and a 12v to 9v supply would work, and should be slim enough to hide under a board,

something like this would work well? - Fame LEF-329 Mini Power | DV247 | en-GB 

Matt

That is a really neat solution.

Most 12v laptop supplies give you 5A@12v so splitting that out to the block you posted and then the other split to the DHA sounds bang on the money.

How about a buck transformer - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401569620058?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=401569620058&targetid=1278608951176&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1007151&poi=&campaignid=12126090633&mkgroupid=123610917838&rlsatarget=pla-1278608951176&abcId=9300481&merchantid=7254364&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--GFBhDeARIsACH_kdaDOlfLNjOVFuqnoqLND1NQA-0afP3zq_gRTmbZFG__-MMbBZTkCvUaAilDEALw_wcB

- split into that... into the tuner and then power daisy chained from the tuner output DC socket to the compressor.

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

12v dc can easily be dropped down to 9v using a 7809 voltage regulator, you’d need to invert the dc supply though, as the laptop supply would be centre positive.

if it were me i would cut the plug off, shorten the cable a fair bit, and then solder on new connectors with the right polarity, it could be done with screw terminal connector blocks if soldering wasn't possible (I have done this in the past when i ran out of new plugs and needed a board finishing, it worked well enough that i didn't bother to rewire it when the plugs arrived)

CPC have 12v 5A power supplies at very low prices, 12V, 5A, 60W, Desktop Power Supply, IEC C14, 2.1mm Plug (farnell.com)  

Matt

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Try the Truetone One Spot Pro. I have a low profile CS6 under my Nano+ board. 

Total draw for all ports on the power supply must not exceed 1600. The ports are configurable, so you can set two from 9v to 12v and two others from 9v to 18v. 

According to https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/is-there-a-reason-to-purchase-truetone-cs6-over-cs7.2006469/post-27896512 the labels on the ports are cosmetic. 

You could get a https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Truetone-1-Spot-mA-Meter-Pedal-Power-Measuring-Device/27KR to confirm the draw is the same through your PSU and via the CS6.