Why become a member? ×

Depressing YouTube Video - Davie504 content

Crawford13

Oh man, this came up on my feed tonight, and it has left me, well let's say sad for want of a better word. 

The guy just butchers guitar solos on bass and makes a hash of it. I couldn't make it to the end of the video so I apologise if he addresses the poor playing at the end. How does this guy have 9M subs? 

I have actually warmed to Mr 504. He obviously has a market which is totally not us and he is hitting it well. His tongue is firmly in his cheek most of the time. I wish him well. 

Edited by owen
  • Like 8

38 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I unfortunately managed to land on Sultans of Swing, right notes I think but no feeling, so nothing like a solo really.

It only gets worse I made it to sweet child of mine, but he basically started playing random notes not even in the correct rhythm I gave up. 

6 minutes ago, owen said:

He obviously has a market which is totally not us and he is hitting it well

Yup totally agree with this. Unfortunately I can't handle his tone, and this video was particularly poor in my opinion. 

David's saving grace in my opinion is that he introduced me and I'm sure many other to Charles Berthoud. I'm pretty sure he is the most technically proficient bass player I have ever seen, plus he is very creative. I have a lot of time for him. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

David's saving grace in my opinion is that he introduced me and I'm sure many other to Charles Berthoud. I'm pretty sure he is the most technically proficient bass player I have ever seen, plus he is very creative. I have a lot of time for him. 

Charles Berrhoud is a very good player, and may be the poshest person on YouTube! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Charles Berrhoud is a very good player, and may be the poshest person on YouTube! 

He's probably the most technically proficient bass player I've ever seen. More so even than the likes of Wooten. Plus he's incredibly musical with it. 

I worry about his "employability" though, would being a Youtuber who makes funny bass videos go against him if he was looking for a gig, or is it good advertising? Same with Davie (who's good, but not exceptional). 

39 minutes ago, owen said:

I have actually warmed to Mr 504. He obviously has a market which is totally not us and he is hitting it well. His tongue is firmly in his cheek most of the time. I wish him well. 

Yep, there are plenty on YouTube who are far less proficient who take it far more seriously :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russ said:

He's probably the most technically proficient bass player I've ever seen. More so even than the likes of Wooten. Plus he's incredibly musical with it. 

I worry about his "employability" though, would being a Youtuber who makes funny bass videos go against him if he was looking for a gig, or is it good advertising? Same with Davie (who's good, but not exceptional). 

I get what you mean, by the looks of it he has started to make a pretty decent living through YouTube. 

I reckon he can also groove with the best of them if that's what he chose to do. Probably never find out though, as I fear you may be right. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Russ said:

You’re getting it all the wrong way round.

The cash is in the YouTube videos and endorsements not playing bass on some pointless jazz funk record nobody ever buys. 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

The cash is in the YouTube videos and endorsements not playing bass on some pointless jazz funk record nobody ever buys. 

Yep, it sure ain't like it used to be is it Lawrie :(

9 hours ago, Beedster said:

Yep, it sure ain't like it used to be is it Lawrie :(

Very true! I gave up my dreams of playing professionally when I realised the reality was less rock and roll and more Summertime and Autumn Leaves. (Plus I probably wasn’t very good!)

Guess these YouTube people can make money on their own terms, and just because I don’t understand it doesn’t invalidate it.

In fact, I’m proud when the stuff young people do leaves me bemused, it’s the way it should be!

9 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I follow a small guitar channel where the guy posting is a 50-something guitar teacher living in a very depressed part of the UK. On one of his occasional live chats he said that doing YouTube tutorials (free) with expanded stuff like transcriptions for Patreon subscribers (paid) and paid on-line courses has transformed his finances to the point that he can make a decent living instead of being continually hand-to-mouth.

I think it's great that another path has opened for talented people to make a living out of music.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

I follow a small guitar channel where the guy posting is a 50-something guitar teacher living in a very depressed part of the UK. On one of his occasional live chats he said that doing YouTube tutorials (free) with expanded stuff like transcriptions for Patreon subscribers (paid) and paid on-line courses has transformed his finances to the point that he can make a decent living instead of being continually hand-to-mouth.

I think it's great that another path has opened for talented people to make a living out of music.

I would be interested to see him. Could you give me a link?

9 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

If you don't get to play live what's the fkin point? 

Fun. Control. Money. No drunk punters pouring lager on your pedals. No useless ‘sound man’. No load in/out. No ‘sex on fire’!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3