Why become a member? ×

Who plays the cards they are dealt?

No, it's not about cards.

I've noticed, in varying places on this forum, different players saying they only use J necks or P necks, or certain profiles etc.

I'm not passing judgement on this at all but who just accepts what they have?

I've never really thought about it. I've obviously noticed the difference but have kind of seen it as the challenge of that particular instrument.

That's not to say I'm not fussy! I like low actions, light basses and won't play a bass with bad neck dive.

3 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

... who just accepts what they have?...

With the different basses and guitars I have, there's no commonality in necks/width/weight/profile/whatever. They're all the same to me (disclaimer : I'm not very good with any of 'em...). I can understand for a high-flying virtuoso preferring a particular set-up, but for most of us, I reckon it's just habit, and not having used other instruments. To each his/her own, or course. :|

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Unless you got gifted the only bass you have and had no say in it then why would you be playing any cards other than the ones you have up your sleeve, metaphorically speaking?

As in you buy a bass because of how it sounds or as I said about myself, you don't think to much about it, the neck, when you buy it. Sounds good, looks good having it.

Or, for instance, I was going on a tour for a show and needed a fretless for it. So I just ordered an ESP fretless 5 off Thomman in my price range and away I went.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand the question, I think!! A few years ago I was contemplating what would make up my "ultimate" bass if I were to have one made, its tough for a lefty to find the right specs off the peg, and this coincided with Sire being very kind to lefties and offering loads of combinations you didnt usually get at a reasonable price, maple board 5 string active JJ bass, for example. So I bought a Sire thinking I'd sell it on soon having got more familiar with aspects I may like or dislike for a custom build. I then got a tax rebate and went to Wunjos. They had two basses I liked. I chose the one that best suited the band I was in and bought it, no need for a custom bass. There was no faffing about with colour, neck profile, wood choices, anything like that, just "I like that one best, I'll have it!" and the US Stingray is my number 1 still, though many pretenders have come and gone since. If I was given infinite choice I don't think I'd have bought that bass, but now I've got it it's top dog and it's going nowhere. 

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

As in you buy a bass because of how it sounds or as I said about myself, you don't think to much about it, the neck, when you buy it. Sounds good, looks good having it.

The feel of the neck is one of the most important things, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not particularly fussed with regards to width or shape and I can normally adjust to most necks (as long as it isn't crazy wide), but I am picky about the finish of the neck. That's the main reason I got rid of a Squier Classic Vibe Precision, and a Fender Modern Player Jazz. I really didn't like how the finish felt.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I'm sorry, but the answer is people w/o the means to buy something that they like better.

Or people who stop agonising over minute details and get on with it. 

I still agonise over the minute details, I just think the clever guys and girls at Ernie Ball know better than me. 

1 minute ago, Doddy said:

The feel of the neck is one of the most important things, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not particularly fussed with regards to width or shape and I can normally adjust to most necks (as long as it isn't crazy wide), but I am picky about the finish of the neck. That's the main reason I got rid of a Squier Classic Vibe Precision, and a Fender Modern Player Jazz. I really didn't like how the finish felt.

Actually, I can agree with that. 

12 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I have no issues with either J or P profile necks. The only bass I've ever had issues with the neck profile was on a Wal.

Funny you should say that, i had a Wal about 1981, it was the cheapest one they did i assume ( otherwise i wouldn't have had it !) ... I hated it....it was horrible to play, as i recall it was the fingerboard that felt really awkward, I got rid of it within weeks.

Hence I always smile to myself when i see Wals going for stupid money and people raving about them.

11 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I'm sorry, but the answer is people w/o the means to buy something that they like better.

A typically swingeing 'broad-brush' opinion, but I doubt that it covers all the bases, or even some of 'em. Budget is a concern for some (many..?), but a more expensive bass is not a guarantee of being a better 'fit', so I disagree. -_-

• Like 1

to clarify my point, I started looking for something better, because I had money lying around, Rickenbacker 4004

heavy, neck too thick - sold it!

little by little I kept upgrading to the next more comfortable instrument & ironically ended up at the same price-point as that Rickenbacker, but in a much lighter & more comfortable Ibanez headless

It was The Most Comfortable instrument I ever owned, & that's when I realized I'm not cut out for playing, because I still had arm issues playing that, but another irony it switched to my strumming arm.

My issues were the weight of the instrument & just general comfort of playing, but of course I wanted a better sound as well, & the Nordstrand pickups do that.

I solved the weight 'problem' in two different ways. My 'go-to' bass is a Hofner Verithin, and for playing my sixer fretless, or any heavier basses, I sit down. No weight issues here. ;)

As for the sound : I play the sounds that the instrument has. They're all good, to me. I'm not trying to emulate anyone or anything. If it's rauque, I play rauque. If it's soft, I play soft. I'll play to whatever the bass/amp/cab has to offer, and make the best 'pig's ear' out of it that I can.
Disclaimer : I'm a drummer but have the same attitude to drums...

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

My first really good bass is my 66 Jazz which I bought from someone who did not know what he had. I also did not know what he had, I just knew it looked like Jaco's and I had to have it. It has set the bar for all basses since then and anytime I pick up J bass I feel "at home" in a way nothing else has. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I have no issues with either J or P profile necks. The only bass I've ever had issues with the neck profile was on a Wal.

I'll probably never venture into the Wal price bracket of high-end basses, so I'm a little intrigued by the comment Mick! How does neck profile on a Wal differ from the classic J or P?

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'll probably never venture into the Wal price bracket of high-end basses, so I'm a little intrigued by the comment Mick! How does neck profile on a Wal differ from the classic J or P?

The ones I've played have all had a softish 'V' profile which I definitely do not get on with. My one isn't. I'm not sure what it would be classed as, but it's different to all the others I had tried.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lord Sausage said:

I've noticed, in varying places on this forum, different players saying they only use J necks or P necks, or certain profiles etc.

I'm not passing judgement on this at all but who just accepts what they have?

I've never really thought about it. I've obviously noticed the difference but have kind of seen it as the challenge of that particular instrument.

I'll admit to having been someone who accepted what I had, but that's because I didn't know any different when I started.

Some 40+ years down the line, I now know what I like. Added to that, I now have an issue with my fretting hand which means J width necks are much more preferable, so standard P necks are out.

• Like 1