Why become a member? ×

Today's Tip:

guyl

The 2 9v batteries in my onboard aguilar preamp seem to last forever and I kinda forgot they were even in there! :)

The last couple of gigs, my sound has been a bit dull. It never distorted or faded, so I just assumed I desparately needed new strings/lead/ear wax removing/amp service etc.

Changed the batteries last night and WOW! what a difference!

So ..... I know it's ultra obvious but ...... don't forget to change your batteries!

Here's the real tip.

Ask for batteries for your birthday. That way you'll always know when they were last changed , always change them and (in my experience of my basses with 'normal' use) they'll never go flat on you.

Oh - don't ever pinch the PP3 out of the smoke alarm as this can prove highly dangerous in the event of your wife finding out !!!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='447306' date='Mar 27 2009, 02:35 PM']Oh - don't ever pinch the PP3 out of the smoke alarm as this can prove highly dangerous in the event of your wife finding out !!![/quote]

I've got no excuse with a Maplin across the road, and a 24 hour Tesco a 2 minute drive away :)

[quote name='The Funk' post='447455' date='Mar 27 2009, 04:14 PM']I started a battery thread somewhere. There are some excellent deals online for 9V batteries.[/quote]

Search Amazon for Procell 9v. Pack of 10 for about £10. That's all you need.

Edit: oh, and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17154"]here's your thread[/url] Syed.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

It happened to me once during a gig. Luckily both my stage basses have a passive switch (idiot proof!) so no major drama.

I get GP batteries on discount if i buy a box, unfortunately taking a box of batteries to a rehearsal attracts the attention of your guitarist who after seeing it will never ever buy a battery again knowing he can just scrounge off you!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='447306' date='Mar 27 2009, 02:35 PM']Here's the real tip.

Ask for batteries for your birthday. That way you'll always know when they were last changed , always change them and (in my experience of my basses with 'normal' use) they'll never go flat on you.

Oh - don't ever pinch the PP3 out of the smoke alarm as this can prove highly dangerous in the event of your wife finding out !!![/quote]
I asked for batteries for my birthday and nobody bought me any :)

[quote name='josh3184' post='447523' date='Mar 27 2009, 06:12 PM']when my $$ came through it worked for 20seconds then died. I thought it was broken! After multiple worryings and giving the electrics a look I changed the battery just in case and lo and behold, the simplest fix ever :)[/quote]

& the REAL funny bit is- ya could've pulled UP the vol. pot & gone passive anyway :rolleyes:

I like the way the $$ is same vol. in passive & active mode- just has EQ w/ active!!

2 Rechargeable PP3's and a charger off ebay for £15. Now I take out the batteries every week and charge them. I also keep a spare duracell in my bass case incase I forget the others.

It took me a few weeks to get into the routine, but 2 years later and it's second nature.

I had an embarrassing experience with a Tesco PP3 battery once.
:)
No, nothing like that. Basically the Tesco PP3s are a couple of mm shorter than everybody else's, so they were making only intermittent contact with the, errm, contacts in my Status' battery box. So it kept cutting out.
So the moral is, Tesco PP3s? nein danke. I too buy the Duracell Procells ten for a tenner. Brilliant value.