Why become a member? ×

VVT pot characteristics questions

Velarian

21 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I've seen hundreds of vintage Fender's with bad grounding because of a rusted washer on the output jack...

Sometimes, you can simply say : You are right, I didn't think about this.

There's no shame.

I bought an old MIM jazz with a problem with the output socket thread that prevented it being fully tightened. It appeared to be OK, but if the cable moved the socket it crackled like mad.

I replaced the socket immediately (and added explicit grounds), but I bet the guy I bought it off had just looped the cable through the strap and lived with it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I have a strong aversion to people soldering a Capacitor between two pots, straddling them. It's almost irrational, but there is a reason.

o9uo7qjc1dvcz9vcvspr.jpg

but the inherent Ground provided by the Mechanical connection to the controls-plate never bothered me

Fender used discarded floor tiles for inlays, in the early days.

Those caps are not supported and there will be a lot of strain on the legs as time goes on. Thos orange drop caps are nothing special apart from being orange. What worries me more is the ground wires soldered to the pots. It a nasty hangover from the original Fender wiring, and don't get  me started on bending the lugs and soldering them to the pot case as an earth. That puts a twist on the wafer in the pot and tension on the rivet. I know I will get people saying its always been done that way, but no self-respecting electronics company would wire a circuit like that.

• Like 2

I agree with all those points, so it is irrational that a chassis Ground to the controls-plate doesn't bother me, LOL!

I guess it's because I know in my ownership it wouldn't be an issue, but I can see how out in the wild, it could go awry for many ender users.

The other thing is those giant Capacitors are such overkill, rated for hundreds of Volts, & we're lucky to get 1 Volt from our instruments.

Also, if any pot comes loose & turns, there's a broken solder joint.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
spelling
  • Like 2

I got my replacement wiring loom from @KiOgon in double quick time and it’s a fine quality piece of work. Truly plug and play once I figured out which wires were which emanating from my pickups. John kindly answered my questions about this and once I’d plucked up the courage to cut the old pots off I was up and running in no time. Much improved control now and the switchable series/parallel feature is a useful bonus. 

• Like 3

On 11/06/2021 at 18:00, Killed_by_Death said:

The other thing is those giant Capacitors are such overkill, rated for hundreds of Volts, & we're lucky to get 1 Volt from our instruments.

Yes even the 63V Wima "Red Drops" I use are overkill but work perfectly.

• Like 1