Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a stand.

silentbob

I've been given permission by the wife to display a bass in the corner of the living room. I'm looking for a wooden stand, but not 100% sure what  type exactly. Don't really want to be paying the £100+ for the hanging type, but cautious that most of the A Frame type look better suited to lighter acoustic instruments. Any recommendations? 

I had an “ultimate” stand - it was wicked, loved it.

it was expensive, about £50

Then after about 10 years - just standing, not gigged or packed down frequently or used other than as a stand…the locking mechanism just gave way and the bass took a tumble (don’t worry Basschat buyers it’s my fretless which I still own) - and I was gutted. I couldn’t fix it as the red locking part encapsulated the bolt and washer, so without destroying it - it was a lost cause.

I need a double stand. 

I have a rack for 6, and I have 2 further instruments needing a house. Nope, need space for 9. FFS. Just remembered the bass I’m putting together and a guitar which miraculously appeared today.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Sad 1

On 01/06/2021 at 22:15, Frank Blank said:

The Hercules GS414B. Not wooden I know but you barely see the stand behind the bass. I swear by Hercules stands.

Agree - Hercules stands are well engineered. I have one, and my sax stands (including the one for the very heavy bari sax), and my orchestral music stand are all Hercules stands. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Doddy said:

For wooden stands, these looks smart but not cheap 

https://ruach-music.com/product-category/guitar-stands/#

Personally, I've used Ultimate Stands for years. I find them to be more solid than Hercules.

Out of interest - was I just really unlucky with mine, or have you had any niggles?

I assume you want a wooden stand because it'll look nicer in the lounge - but my recommendation is for a stand which you can barely see when there's a bass in it.

The trouble with the neck grabbing type stands is that you can see the long pole behind the neck from most angles. And the problem with lots of A frame types is that the bass leans back a lot so it takes up more room. 

The Ibanez PT-32 is great - folds down to fit in a gig bag, nearly flat - and it's really s table with an instrument in and leans back much less than the Hercules Mini. As I say, with a bass in the stand you can barely see the stand at all, so it's visually pleasing too.

The only hiccup - it's not great with offset bodies

Cheers

ped

• Like 1

Another Hercules fan. I have four of them. Three are the ‘hanging’ type (a 1, a 2 and a 3 instrument stand) and the other one is this little fella (the stand, not the dog) which is ideal for a corner of the living room. Small footprint, takes any bass that I’ve tried in (other than my Sandberg 48/Alembic Spyder/Warwick Reverso/any other pointy type bass) and it folds away to hardly anything when not in use (can of Coke for scale).

As @ped mentioned, these types of stands look a bit odd with offset bodies (as shown) but I find they are very stable.

I know it’s not made of wood, but for £25 (bag included 😂), it does the job.

6BD05360-C1DD-4A85-AC0B-BF3CF47E30C4.jpeg

B48644DE-482C-4652-AF6C-B8C093257AAE.jpeg

17A7F81B-B78A-455B-8D5A-65B8AC1D4DC3.jpeg

43F7935E-C44B-4708-AC42-120A61B12734.jpeg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Out of interest - was I just really unlucky with mine, or have you had any niggles?

I did have one where the clip broke, but I put that down to being used solidly on gigs for years and general wear and tear. I bought a Hercules to replace it, and the locking yoke broke after a couple of months.  I've got 4 Ultimate stands now, and they are pretty much all I've used live for the last 20 years.

39 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Another Hercules fan. I have four of them. Three are the ‘hanging’ type (a 1, a 2 and a 3 instrument stand) and the other one is this little fella (the stand, not the dog) which is ideal for a corner of the living room. Small footprint, takes any bass that I’ve tried in (other than my Sandberg 48/Alembic Spyder/Warwick Reverso/any other pointy type bass) and it folds away to hardly anything when not in use (can of Coke for scale).

As @ped mentioned, these types of stands look a bit odd with offset bodies (as shown) but I find they are very stable.

I know it’s not made of wood, but for £25 (bag included 😂), it does the job.

6BD05360-C1DD-4A85-AC0B-BF3CF47E30C4.jpeg

B48644DE-482C-4652-AF6C-B8C093257AAE.jpeg

17A7F81B-B78A-455B-8D5A-65B8AC1D4DC3.jpeg

Yeah, old favourite of mine

7A937A84-DBFF-4D6D-9C05-548EBAF8B2BC.jpeg

• Like 1

On 04/06/2021 at 10:04, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Got one but rarely use it....it feels too small to be safe.

However....they are convenient, fold down into a small package and do come in their own draw string bag. I can see why people recommend them, maybe it's my trust issues...

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Got one but rarely use it....it feels too small to be safe.

However....they are convenient, fold down into a small package and do come in their own draw string bag. I can see why people recommend them, maybe it's my trust issues...

I probably wouldn't use it for a gig, but that big old bit of foam at the top of the back rest is pretty well designed.

4 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

If you want your bass knocked over by accident get the tiny stand. 👍

Kind of depends on the application though doesn’t it? Different stands for different needs

2628E53D-2453-4765-9D23-80E2B44C1F69.gif

Also, be mindful of the effect of a nitro finish on the vast majority of stands. I have had both Hercules and Ultimate stands (and they're great stands - though the Hercules ones gave out after a while) and have resorted to a beer towel across the bottom to prevent the finish sticking to the stand.

I would still go with the Ultimate stand though.