Why become a member? ×

Adding new FX

mik900

I currently run 2 pedals: A Boss tu3 tuner and Sansamp. I use one power feed to the tuner and daisy chain to the Sansamp. I plug into the tuner and output via Sansamp.This works fine.... I now need to add a chorus pedal, which I guess I'll put in between the two in the signal chain(is that correct??)

Q1.Will I now need a separate power supply unit?

Q2. If so which one would best suit

Many thanks in advance.

I could be wrong but if you get a daisy chain cable, you can run a few pedals via the boss tuner?

Funnily enough, I just bought a 1 Spot combo pack from Guitarguitar that can run 8 standard pedals from the one plug, cost £35. Cheaper than a brick power block but no good for some kinds of pedals.

2 hours ago, mik900 said:

fine.... I now need to add a chorus pedal, which I guess I'll put in between the two in the signal chain(is that correct??)

Yes - tuner>chorus>amp (real or simulated) is the general way.

Especially don’t feed a chorused signal into the tuner.... makes it harder for the tuner to recognise the pitch.

Edited by Nail Soup

Some people prefer their modulation after their preamp, so you might prefer the sound of the chorus after the sansamp. If you use the SA for distortion, that'll give an even more intense chorus effect. It really does depend on the chorus pedal, and what your ears prefer. There is no wrong order :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WinterMute said:

Ah, chorused distortion or distorted chorus... 

If you like the sound of a chorus, put it after the sans amp, if you're into tonal change that doesn't lessen the distorted edge, put it before.

Exactly how I phrase it. If you don't want your distortion "Washed" over, keep it last.

2 hours ago, mik900 said:

Can you explain in layman's terms??

That was layman's terms..! o.O

Difficult to put more simply, but the Power Supply Unit (PSU, or 'brick'...) is rated to be able to supply up to a certain current (expressed in amps ('A'...), or milliAmps ('mA'...). Any pedals connected must draw (consume...) less, when added together, than the PSU can deliver. So, as an example, a PSU rated for 500mA is OK for one pedal drawing 100mA, or even up to five at a push (but no more; best to have a small margin, so four would be a better limit...), The same PSU can supply a single pedal consuming 300mA, but not two of 'em. Is that clear enough now..? :/ 

Edited by Dad3353

You should be able to find out how much power that the pedals need and then get a suitable power supply. Do check first as Badhands says above, some pedals use different kinds of power such as centre positive and such like.

The 1 Spot I posted above is fine for me as my needs are simple and straight forward (3 9v 100ma pedals) but it is still a decent power supply but I would avoid the (sometime) cheap power bricks that you can buy from Amazon, E bay etc.

There are 2 different connectors that  ehx have used over the years, the original ones were 3.5mm jack plugs, but most of the more recent pedals use the same barrel connector and polarity as boss et Al, the bass clone is barrel connector (have one on my board.) 

Matt

• Like 1

you should be fine as long as your power adaptor can supply enough current, remember that only tuner pedals have 2 power sockets so you will need a daisychain or a splitter cable.

by my calculations the max power draw that those 3 pedals will need is 110mA with the tuner in high brightness mode, that's not a huge amount so unless your psu is very weedy you will be fine.

Matt