Why become a member? ×

NS EUB ordered!

orm-irian

Sorry, just me geeking out that I've finally been able to order an NS WAV 5 eub, set up with trad flat sound strings and raised bridge, and with an endpin so I can play sat down in my wheelchair.

I've been wanting one of these for literally almost a decade, since my disappointment trying to play an acoustic upright (I bought a lovely old Stentor, but my mutant arm couldn't cope with their body size).

That's all, just excited to get into it! It's so great now compared to a decade ago, you can just go online and find free video lessons and so on, while I'm looking for a local teacher.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm actually going to try out their stock endpin - I can return it if it doesn't work (or use it as a model for something better before I return it), I've got some ideas up my sleeve but need to actually have the bass in my hands to work out what will work best.

in other news, someone in the US pointed me to a thing called a ninomute that makes EUBs sound way more acoustic-like, and wanted to sell me one for $50 plus shipping (and then VAT and the UK charging me £10 to collect that), so I took a good look at the thing in a couple of video reviews, and realised I can make my own for like 50p.

It's literally just a strip of compact foam with slices into it that fit over the strings, up against the bridge. Different thicknesses give more or less dampening, so you can have more or less "thump". I've got an old leather belt and some packing foam that'll do the trick fine, I can experiment with different thicknesses and then have a couple handy for different sounds.

Edited by orm-irian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1