Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a drill..

uk_lefty

Can anyone recommend me a drill for doing tiny tiny works like creating the holes for installing new pups? I upgraded the pups for my bitsa but the screw holes are on different places. The drills I have are serious kit that are hand me downs from my electrician father in law, no good for small delicate works like this! Looking to do an Amazon Prime order today because I'm impatient. 

Thanks in advance... 

Would something like this do the job? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071G1GG8D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_YR7MDRGXER6C07WVCFJC

Edited by uk_lefty

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Can anyone recommend me a drill for doing tiny tiny works like creating the holes for installing new pups? I upgraded the pups for my bitsa but the screw holes are on different places. The drills I have are serious kit that are hand me downs from my electrician father in law, no good for small delicate works like this! Looking to do an Amazon Prime order today because I'm impatient. 

Thanks in advance... 

Would something like this do the job? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071G1GG8D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_YR7MDRGXER6C07WVCFJC

I had a cheap one of these, it died fairly quickly... I splashed a few quid more and got a Wickes one and it's far better. However, as these reviews suggest: "it’s more better (sic) if you just want an electric screw driver but wouldn’t advise if you want it for a drill. ...the drill moved around as it’s not strong enough to stay in one place" and "Very lightweight but suitable for small jobs around the house. The chuck is a bit wobbly so it is better suited to screwing and not drilling", I would not recommend this (or anything like it) at all as a drill.

I second BRX's recommendation, Dremels are great. 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

I use my cordless 18v dewalt combi drill for jobs like this. Complete overkill to drill a 1.5mm hole in a guitar, but the chuck has no visible run-out so it is very precise. The small 2ah battery pack keeps the weight manageable for 1 hand unsupported operation.

• Like 2

I'm going to throw a little bit of advice here.  My grandfather did carpentry on the side.

Rather than buying a drill bit, if you need a tiny hole, find a round wire nail the width of the hole you want to make, nip off the head at a slight angle with pair of snippers, put it in your chuck and you're done.  It'll be sharp enough to go through any wood.

A 1mm steel nail will be inherently stronger than a 1mm bit (half the shaft of which is grooved to eject shavings).

• Thanks 1

I have the ryobi version of the one you posted and it's not really much use for drilling, for fine work (under about 2mm) I use a pin vice drill, if the bit is sharp it will take very little effort to make the hole. 

I have one just like this Link

Matt 

10 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Thanks everyone. I got a primary school style hand drill and bought a set of very small drill bits. Job done accurately and no drilling all the way through or slipping around. 

Well Done ! Do you know what type of wood you were drilling into ?

Edited by rmorris
omission of punctuation,

On 01/06/2021 at 14:01, John Cribbin said:

I'll tick the Dremel type multi tool as well. Don't use mine very often, but it's got me out of more than one hole when nothing else will do.

I'd recommend that too. Not necessarily Dremel but that type of rotary multi tool. 

Possibly with a stand depending on how confident / fussy you're being - although obviously not useful for a contoured surface. But you can use the polishing accessories for the fret ends etc. too.

I have both 14.4V and 18V Bosch battery ones.. the smaller one is great for smaller work like pickup screws. Make sure you've plenty of drill bit length to go through the hole in the pickup and deep enough into the wood for the length of the screw.