Why become a member? ×

Fender American Performer Mustang or JMJ

Folkesy

Hi all,

I am looking to add a Mustang bass to my collection. I have been browsing and have narrowed it down to the American Performer or the JMJ. 

I know many Mustang purists don't like the Jazz pickup looks on the performer series but I quite like the look of it and really like the arctic white. The JMJ has amazing reviews online but I am not sure about buying a road worn guitar.

With the US performer coming in at £899 and the JMJ at £949 I would be interested to hear some other views? 

At the moment I'm leaning towards the American performer model. Any help greatly appreciated 🙂

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/181120335102008--fender-american-performer-mustang-short-scale-bass-arctic-white

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170703312072008--fender-justin-meldal-johnsen-road-worn-mustang-short-scale-bass?gclid=CjwKCAjwtdeFBhBAEiwAKOIy566y-wscMS9mBlwOvyop89s3AJXXVRRZPJlP1eSuupJ2Nu4_QHyNIhoC7f4QAvD_BwE

Get both, try them, send one back...  😉  It's the only way to be sure.

IMHO the J pup is pretty useless on a Mustang, simply not needed.

JMJ is the best of the Mustangs (If you like the neck width and can't find a great 70's one)...

Road worn? Meh, who cares - it's going to get some dings eventually and pre-dinged is kind of liberating....  YMMV

• Like 3

The pickup in the JMJ is a bit special and you can’t buy as an upgrade from Seymour Duncan (yet). Also, the build quality on the JMJ is very good indeed, coupled with quality hardware. My only complaint with mine is that the relic dings are often too uniform and start to form a pattern (nails on a roller type of thing). But that’s only when you start looking up close. Other than that, I’m very, very impressed with mine, even the nitro finish on the neck seems to have been dried correctly (something my old RoadWorn P fell short on) and doesn’t stick to my hand after playing for a while (I have a history of this with nitro including, Gibson and PRS). I can’t comment on the Performer as I haven’t played one. I have played the Vintera version, which was rather good and the Performer should be an upgrade from that (you’d hope).

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback both. 👍👍

Yes, the JMJ does look amazing and the reports on the pickup are great. 

I think I'm going to go for the American Performer for now and see how I get on with it and then if I really like it maybe save up and try to get hold of a more classic Mustang style in the future (JMJ, CIJ etc). 

My other basses are Jazz configuration and I use the bridge pickup alot, so I like the idea of having the jazz pickup available.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RaNoFuNkY said:

What's the difference in neck profile?

I rate my American Performer

I believe the JMJ has a C Shape neck profile and the American Performer has a Modern C Shape neck profile. 

Good to hear there are some basschatters who rate the American performer. Most of the discussion I could find online was around the JMJ. 

19 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

There's a very nice Mustang in the For Sale section at the moment.

I saw that one and it looks lovely and a very good price too. It's the player series with the toggle switch pickup selector and a classic PJ set up. The write up on these are great too. 

Just now, RaNoFuNkY said:

NOO! Not this again - which is slimmer - C or modern C? Their website picture is awful - it looks asymmetrical! 

I think (but may be wrong) from one of the many videos that I watched that the modern C is slightly slimmer than the C. 

I've owned and sold a Performer and still own a JMJ. Both are really nice but the JMJ edged it for me with the nitro finish and slightly chunkier neck. The Performer is much more modern feeling and can get a wide variety of tones. But the pickup on the JMJ is great. I've just switched from the stock flats on the JMJ to rounds ... which I didn't think I'd ever do ... but it sounds awesome with the rounds too 😀

• Like 2

On 10/06/2021 at 20:54, Bix said:

I've owned and sold a Performer and still own a JMJ. Both are really nice but the JMJ edged it for me with the nitro finish and slightly chunkier neck. The Performer is much more modern feeling and can get a wide variety of tones. But the pickup on the JMJ is great. I've just switched from the stock flats on the JMJ to rounds ... which I didn't think I'd ever do ... but it sounds awesome with the rounds too 😀

Exactly right, the Performer whlist it was a very nice bass was a bit 'sterile' the JMJ is full of mojo and tone still love it and I've had a PJ MiM, MiJ, Performer and the JMJ is a keeper 

• Like 2

The JMJ arrived today and wow, these pickups are very special. The tone knob is fantastic too even with it fully off the notes are clear. 

I am really enjoying this bass and I'm even enjoying the road worn finish 😳!

Thanks for the advice. 

PXL_20210618_150022861.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Folkesy said:

The JMJ arrived today and wow, these pickups are very special. The tone knob is fantastic too even with it fully off the notes are clear. 

I am really enjoying this bass and I'm even enjoying the road worn finish 😳!

Thanks for the advice. 

Yes, it's great when a tone control has a decent taper and isn't either on or off. I find the JMJ's tone control very similar to my old '63 P Bass, which is a good thing. Continue to enjoy your new purchase but beware, these little things are addictive.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/06/2021 at 23:21, Adee said:

Exactly right, the Performer whlist it was a very nice bass was a bit 'sterile' the JMJ is full of mojo and tone still love it and I've had a PJ MiM, MiJ, Performer and the JMJ is a keeper 

I’ve recently switched to Mustangs and have accumulated three JMJs. Managed to find a US Performer in white and it was delivered today, sadly my impressions are the same, the JMJ is full of character where the Performer seems sterile and empty in comparison - I’m talking in feel more than sound wise - so sadly I’ll be returning it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1