Why become a member? ×

Spare bass .. do I really need one

Guest BassAdder27

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My brother had a Gibson with robot tuners. He strummed it and it literally unwound one of the strings so it fell off 🤣

I had a gibson darkfire, the mother of the robotic tuners. It was fantastic. Ok, sometimes it took a couple of goes and the wiring was absolutely appaling, but if you fixed gibsons shocking QC, it was a great guitar, and it never had a problem tuning.

Would have another one in a heartbeat but they have got quite expensive now.

It may sound somewhat harsh, but I rarely re-hire musicians (permanent or dep) who don't turn up suitably prepared. When I 'hire' professional musicians, I expect a professional approach; excellent musicality, good personal hygiene and suitable appearance, spare equipment, good time keeping, clear communication skills etc. For me, professional musicians should have the 'tools and a spare' to cover for most reasonable eventualities. 

Edited by MuddBass
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I've attended a gig, i.e. as an audience member, where the guitarist's amp died (btw I didn't know the guy) and he had no idea what to do; it ruined the experience for me to the point where I eventually went and retrieved a powered speaker from my van and lent it to him for the rest of his gig! 

I had a similar experience. I went to the Crawdaddy Club to see the Yardbirds (1967). I got there early, and during the sound check Chris Dreja's P bass didn't work. I went home and fetched my bass. There were some raised eyebrows and nudge, nudge comments from Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck when I turned up with my Framus Star Bass! But it worked and Chris was very thankful at the end of the evening.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I got there early, and during the sound check Chris Dreja's P bass didn't work. I went home and fetched my bass. There were some raised eyebrows and nudge, nudge comments from Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck when I turned up with my Framus Star Bass!

As you do...

2 hours ago, MuddBass said:

It may sound somewhat harsh, but I rarely re-hire musicians (permanent or dep) who don't turn up suitably prepared. When I 'hire' professional musicians, I expect a professional approach; excellent musicality, good personal hygiene and suitable appearance, spare equipment, good time keeping, clear communication skills etc. For me, professional musicians should have the 'tools and a spare' to cover for most reasonable eventualities. 

To be honest, I would take that as a given for a gig such as you would offer.

Personally, I wouldn't do any gig without a spare and always have two of the same bass so that there is minimal impact if I have to change. Only ever actually needed a spare once in about 47 years but each to their own. I don't want to run the risk of anything happening but if people are then they accept the consequences if something does come unstuck.

You'd be dead miffed if your emergency plumber turned up and his only 12mm spanner snapped.

• Like 1

Must admit when we used to tour I also had a backup amp with me, trusty Ashdown RM500 (ably backing up my ABM600)  fitted easily in my leads/pedals/gumf box, kept at the side of the stage with my backup bass. Any problems sorted quickly.

• Like 1

This is another one of those threads (like using a compressor) that turn up regularly on BC. The responses pretty much show where the poster is on the evolutionary ladder of bass players – not whether they take a spare or not, but their reasons for doing (or not doing) so!

Whether I take a spare depends (as ever) on the gig. I take a spare bass to the vast majority of gigs, especially if it is: a) a big show, and; b) where I am travelling in my own car or a shared van, etc. If there are likely to be difficulties with getting to or from the gig, if it is a multi-band affair where there are more chances of gear going astray and easier to borrow a bass in an emergency, or if it isn’t a particularly important show then I am more likely to risk it and just take the one.

In over 40 years of gigging, I have only needed a spare bass four times. But in accordance with Murphy’s Law, they were all pretty big gigs, including the biggest audience (of about 3,000) that I have played to in the last 15 or 20 years.

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

Open question not to demonise - for the ones who fervently against taking a spare, if you did (unfortunately) have a failure which would have necessitated having a spare to solve the issue would it change your perception or would you write it off as one of those things?

Would  it also depend on what gig, size, function etc.

Genuine interest, because some people here have developed their practice based on personal misfortune or misfortune to those they know.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chris_b said:

There were some raised eyebrows and nudge, nudge comments from Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck when I turned up with my Framus Star Bass!

FE47F9B3-D760-4C9D-BE36-5D9CBEB010A6.jpg

The Bass Gallery would like £995 for this please. A lot less than what a mid 60s P would cost, I guess, but still an awful lot more than sod all 😊

• Like 1

I always take a spare where it’s feasible. I favour the cheapo backup option to keep the insurance premium sensible, and also because “my jag wouldn’t start so I went in the merc” sounds nowhere near as much fun when drunkenly recounting the tale at a later date as “..so I fired up the reliant and off we went!” 🙂

Our rhythm guitarist is ‘that guy’ when it comes to gear maintenance and associated malfunctions. He had yet another string break and proceeded to change it on stage, mid song. We just carried on playing and he managed to come back in for the last few bars. Unfortunately for him, he had a GoPro pointed straight at him, so the lead guitarist took the footage of the string replacement, speeded it up, set it to the benny hill theme and sent it round. It got the point across.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Indeed - Just 2 Jazz basses, a Fender Bass V, a fender Bass VI and a couple of alembics.

Check out the attached...in his own words. The guy was seriously "unprofessional" 😂

On 24/02/2021 at 23:38, Al Krow said:

John Paul Jones Interview: Part 3 | ELIXIR Strings - YouTube [3.03] Apparently he only had one bass even when he started with Led Zep.

Damn that must have made taking a spare along a bit tricky...😁

Nice video btw.

On 01/06/2021 at 17:09, AndyTravis said:

Ive had an amp Die onstage at the Deaf Institute in Manchester. That was grim. 

I'm having 'nam like flashbacks to a gig in Leamington Spa and my Carlsbro BG150 stack developing a dry joint mid set - saved by a bass player in the audience who ran home and returned with his own head for me to use (and told the Singer and guitarist what a pair of cnuts they were for giving me so much grief for it in front of the crowd)

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Check out the attached...in his own words. The guy was seriously "unprofessional" 😂

It seems to me that you're just scouting for an argument. Highlighting a famous bass player that didn't have more than one bass for a live performances does not remove the risk.

I wouldn't call it unprofessional, more unprepared and willing to take the gamble. As I said before, I think the gamble is easier to take with a passive bass and a new set of strings.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nibody said:

I'm having 'nam like flashbacks to a gig in Leamington Spa and my Carlsbro BG150 stack developing a dry joint mid set - saved by a bass player in the audience who ran home and returned with his own head for me to use (and told the Singer and guitarist what a pair of cnuts they were for giving me so much grief for it in front of the crowd)

I was in ‘nam, Man…you weren’t there…man

vietnam?

nah man…Chelten(h)am…

• Like 1

Never to rehearsal, but I usually take a spare to a gig. At least, I always keep a set of old strings in my gig bag and a roadie wrench!  

I've never snapped a string, but I had one unravel at rehearsal when the sharp edge of the tuning post cut through the windings.  I found out much later that DR coloured, coated strings are not meant to be trimmed down, which I did. So my bad.  Only other issue I've had is a strap button working it's way loose but I manged to get to the end of the set without changing bass, then fixed it in the break (so much for straplocks if the button works loose!) I've since abandoned installing straplocks and just use a rubber washer and leave the strap on each bass - there's much less chance of a screw working loose if I never replace it.

Touch wood, I've never had to use a backup bass due to a failure, but I bet if I didn't take one, then sod's law I'd need it.

Spare backline however...

After a catastrophic failure after my old Markbass LM2 suffered a small drop I started taking a spare head to gigs. Then I replaced the spare head with a flyrig type DI to go direct to FOH if need be. Now however, me and my two guitarists each use a helix and frfr speaker, one of them also bring a helix stomp as a backup which was can all use, and each FRFR speaker has multiple inputs, so there's spare channels everywhere, not to mention we now also go direct to FOH as well depending on the gig. 

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

FE47F9B3-D760-4C9D-BE36-5D9CBEB010A6.jpg

The Bass Gallery would like £995 for this please. A lot less than what a mid 60s P would cost, I guess, but still an awful lot more than sod all 😊

This is the bass. . . . . . . . probably worth 10/- by the time I'd finished with it!

image.thumb.jpeg.4c95a0bee24001c08813a8750796c233.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yep - all he had was the one jazz bass. :D

tumblr_m9spzmj29a1robxkbo1_500.jpg.c95dcc14b06ebe071706dca81152f57c.jpgtumblr_nhmf1yGMXQ1sc8jago1_500.jpg.406a951700a325c0f4f5716de3f9d20e.jpg

Good stuff! Hope he wasn't telling porkies on that video interview then - and did he take them both to the same gig? But he clearly discovered the benefit of having a 5 string bass, whilst he was at it 😁