Why become a member? ×

Is now good time to be buying 'quality' musical instruments

TJ1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah, that’s a good idea mentioning BC, ultimately it’s what you’re happy with , as tegs says, the neck is an easy fix , but they should compensate you something for being misleading 

Well said !  They have lost business already just from this thread.  Not what I would have expected from BD.  Surely there must be someone from BD on this forum?  I was looking at a pedal and some strings this month, wont be using BD.  Also 9/10 rating mistake!!!  Bovine IMO..........complacent.  They have offered the refund as per sale of goods act.    That is not attention to detail and I actually find it quite arrogant.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Machines said:

Don't forget BassDirect sell many instruments as commission sales. As such they don't set the price (the owner does) and they'd have to seek their permission for any discounts.

Ignorance is no plea of innocence but I appreciate your point sir.........

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah, that’s a good idea mentioning BC, ultimately it’s what you’re happy with , as tegs says, the neck is an easy fix , but they should compensate you something for being misleading 

Indeed !.. In fact  I've just pinged them another mail saying I'm not happy at all...oh and btw we've been discussing this on BC for the last hour and the comments are not overly favourable to your firm !

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Machines said:

Don't forget BassDirect sell many instruments as commission sales. As such they don't set the price (the owner does) and they'd have to seek their permission for any discounts.

No idea if this was a commission sale or their bought in stock.. Either way they've admitted being misleading, that should come out of their pocket tbh

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Indeed !.. In fact  I've just pinged them another mail saying I'm not happy at all...oh and btw we've been discussing this on BC for the last hour and the comments are not overly favourable to your firm !

They've had more than this thread about similar issues and I know they moderately often rush ads online and reuse previous  descriptions without proper edits. 

The owner knows how he's doing business and I've definitely had disagreements with him over things in the past, but I'll keep going there as overall, they have the best stuff out there. And it's just down the road 🤣

1 minute ago, Machines said:

They've had more than this thread about similar issues and I know they moderately often rush ads online and reuse previous  descriptions without proper edits. 

The owner knows how he's doing business and I've definitely had disagreements with him over things in the past, but I'll keep going there as overall, they have the best stuff out there. And it's just down the road 🤣

Fair comment but I have come to expect more from them.  In this day and age of online business they have shirked responsibility, customer attention, their own mistakes and attention to detail.........

4 minutes ago, Machines said:

If they're near you then it's not too tragic, and makes sense..if I was local and popped in, I'd have had a look at it in person and likely been able to strike a deal with a few quid off, bearing in mind the few issues with it. Dealing face to face is always best !

1 minute ago, PaulThePlug said:

I'd be starting with a return at full refund...

See if they would like to get the issues addressed...

Or them to start the ball rolling re-assessing the value.

I'd be getting em to arrange to collect it... otherwise they are less likely to be forthcoming..

I shall await their reply to my last email, they would've gone home by now and I won't get anything til tomorrow for sure !

I think there are definitely bargains to be had, assuming you hope that things will get better.

Just picked up a two year old Gibson J45 acoustic in literally as new condition on ebay for £1250, which retails new for well over £2000. OK it's not a bass, but in the icon stakes it's at least equal to the Stingray, and as such I am willing to live on Morrisons baked beans and bran flakes to take advantage of the poor dentist who sold it.

And yes given the opportunity or more likely need I would sell it in the future, albeit reluctantly.

• Like 1

Very poor service, I don't know where they've seen SUBs selling for £800 as even really good ones don't fetch that. The most recent completed one on ebay went for £460 and was in comparable condition if not slightly better.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Very poor service, I don't know where they've seen SUBs selling for £800 as even really good ones don't fetch that. The most recent completed one on ebay went for £460 and was in comparable condition if not slightly better.

Don't suppose you've got a link ?

8 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

This one is very tidy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402919180648D

I would replace the pick guard though.

Yes I'm not struck on the "tread plate" pickguards either...That one appears to be "collection only"  from the midlands so isn't really do able for me !

Tbh if they were dead common on evilbay I'd tell them to go poke this one and they could have it back... But if they're not that easy to acquire I'd be better to hang on to it and live with/sort out, the neck finish issues.  Also on the keeping it side, I like the all black finish too, I'm not overly keen on the other colours they seem to come in !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machines said:

Exactly. 

Basically they have offered to collect and refund, as well as apologising for the mistake in rating the bass as being in 9/10 condition. I don't see what else they can do seeing as they don't actually own the bass and can't go against the owner's instructions.