Why become a member? ×

Is now good time to be buying 'quality' musical instruments

TJ1

That is those basses or other instruments of a professional or posh standard, because of the effects of the lockdown on live musicians and the fact that affluent amateurs may have to be cutting back:

Opinions appreciated - & don't have to contain gospel/scientific truth.

22 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

what would you class as a , professional or posh instrument 

That would be something like an EBMM Stingray or in the acoustic world a USA Martin or Gibson.

Prices for new Gibsons and US EBMMs seems to be ridiculous these days. It is reported that new guitar sales are an an all time high, so I’m not sure folk are selling off in massive numbers. With that in mind, I’d say it’s probably not the best time. I could be talking out of my rear end of course.

• Like 1

I’m not so sure, some prices of used Mex Fenders seem higher than ever, as do some US ones on the bay. 

That said there have been some very good bargains on here. 

I should also add that most of the gear I’ve sold over the last year went on other sites rather than here, and I usually price to on here to match what the going rate is.

Edited by Lozz196

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Don't know if it's a great time to be buying ... pretty sure it's a very bad time to be selling.

Unless it’s a Wal - it looks like used prices are increasing of many types of basses particularly if the seller doesn’t mind waiting for the right person to turn up! Most new prices are increasing often because component costs are increasing or not even available. Shipping being a big issue throughout the supply chains for consumer goods. 

Many commentators think we may be heading for inflation - I can’t see ho it can be avoided given current circumstances - unless Government Consumer Price Index manages to only focus on those items which aren’t increasing.....  

Edited by drTStingray
  • Thanks 1

Just as an add on - I don’t think Fender prices have reached the stratosphere yet - I’m not sure if they have temporary immunity from supply chain issues as possibly their previous model of flooding the market and possibly stockpiling parts (wood for instance) might have given them a buffer whilst the items in the supply chain are sold/manufactured - however there are becoming issues of being able to purchase certain consumer goods at all (including certain bass guitars and amplification equipment). Presumably it will hit Fender eventually as well. Their financial model is quite different from others. 

Edited by drTStingray

I guess it depends on what you are selling/buying. For example, a Yamaha Peter Hook Signature Bass that cost around £1k new just sold on ebay for more than double. BTW, it is a "standard" one, i.e. not one of the hand signed ones that PMT sold.  

1989864154_PeterHoolEbay.thumb.jpg.92249d53955cfb7bb27a138cfa8a1fa1.jpg

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Don't know if it's a great time to be buying ... pretty sure it's a very bad time to be selling.

Surely that would make it a good time to buy? 

To be honest, I have been buying and selling quite a bit over lockdown and secondhand prices have been pretty much what I would expect. I suspect that things are about balancing themselves out; some people are on restricted incomes / lost their job / worrying about having gear that they can't gig; whilst others are living on the same income and have spare cash as they can't go out and spend like they usually would or can't go on holiday, etc... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Just as an add on - I don’t think Fender prices have reached the stratosphere yet - I’m not sure if they have temporary immunity from supply chain issues as possibly their previous model of flooding the market and possibly stockpiling parts (wood for instance) might have given them a buffer whilst the items in the supply chain are sold/manufactured - however there are becoming issues of being able to purchase certain consumer goods at all (including certain bass guitars and amplification equipment). Presumably it will hit Fender eventually as well. Their financial model is quite different from others. 

The price of a new US Professional ii Strat has risen by £250 at Andertons since January. I've not been watching basses but I'd be surprise if they've not had similar hike.

It's gone up a bit more at some smaller stores.

I suspect it's probably mainly down to the shipping container shortage which must be affecting every part of the production and supply process by now, from shipping electronic components to the factory to sending out finished instruments across the world.

There's got to be various other pandemic related cost increases throughout the chain too.

3 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Don`t know about that Jack. I sold 2 basses in a shop within 5 days that sat on here for a few weeks with less interest than a HSBC bank account. Granted the shop will take their commission but they went. If you price them right people are still buying.

Oddly enough, I'm in the market for a 'posh' used bass but I'll be damned if I can find one at anything but top dollar prices!  

Contacted someone re a bass (of which type I am familiar) and the guy wanted about 60% more than I sold an identical instrument 2 years ago!  I might have said that was a one off but it isn't.  Prices of the range of instruments I'm looking for (doesn't have to say 'W' on the headstock) don't appear to be anything other than MORE expensive.  Saying that, it isn't to say anyone will be paying these asking prices, maybe folks down on their luck/not gigging, need more money hence higher asking prices!  :/  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I'm sure that if you have cash there are bargains to be had. 

I've seen a few MM Rays for under a grand recently - that's not bad if you can find them.

A quick look back through sales ads on BC and you'd find that a couple of years ago, £1k for a Ray would be expensive (£800 was an average price)!  I recall seeing a few go on eBay for £700ish... folks are nearly asking that for none USA models now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warwickhunt said:

A quick look back through sales ads on BC and you'd find that a couple of years ago, £1k for a Ray would be expensive (£800 was an average price)!  I recall seeing a few go on eBay for £700ish... folks are nearly asking that for none USA models now.  

I didn't seem that long ago that I bought a few for around the £600 mark. Crazy money now. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TJ1 said:

That is those basses or other instruments of a professional or posh standard, because of the effects of the lockdown on live musicians and the fact that affluent amateurs may have to be cutting back:

Opinions appreciated - & don't have to contain gospel/scientific truth.

I wouldn't purchase anything from a gospel band.

• Haha 1