Why become a member? ×

NKD: Argon 8, reduced!

Woodinblack

I have been looking at all the reviews on and off for the Argon (and Cobalt) 8. They make it hard to choose. I went to PMT last week, I went in to test the argon 8 I knew they had. There was a sign saying 'please ask a member of staff before touching anything", so I tried to find staff, found a guy demonstrating roland stuff, seemed rude to ask him but I did anyway, he said it was ok. tried to play it, no sound, just loud EDM. black lead went off to a mixer, where 8 black leads were. Found a slider to turn up that gave sound, after a few minutes I realised nothing I did changed that sound and it was a moog just getting midi from the argon. Found the argon in the end. Tried to ask another member of staff as he was going past if I could mess with their mixer, got to 'can I ' and got 'yeh, sure'. 

Turned the argon up, but couldn't really hear it well over the EDM. Stayed 10 minutes, more staff than customers, but not one of them asked so I left.

Made an offer on a £400 one on ebay for £370, but rejected, then noticed Andertons had 2 B_stock, one at £400 which had damage to the case and one that was £416 for 'damaged packaging'. Don't care about that so bought it on friday. Came today - this is what you lose by paying £416 instead of £521:

IMG_2127.thumb.jpeg.2919deec2b2ea84557189e1927b36242.jpeg

As you can see, the box is a little worn. I guess I will have to live with that :D

Everything inside the box was perfect though.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

Nice. I’ve been looking at these and the Korg Wavestate (two different animals I know). How are you finding the Argon?

Love it, its really well made. Some things on the front panel are not immediately obviously but with the iPad app showing the whole thing it becomes pretty easy to work out. The sounds are amazing.

I am however caught in the normal 'I want more keys' / 'if I had more keys I wouldn't play it' dilema!

And it has to be said, aside from my piano, this has the nicest keyboard of any of my synths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Love it, its really well made. Some things on the front panel are not immediately obviously but with the iPad app showing the whole thing it becomes pretty easy to work out. The sounds are amazing.

I am however caught in the normal 'I want more keys' / 'if I had more keys I wouldn't play it' dilema!

And it has to be said, aside from my piano, this has the nicest keyboard of any of my synths.

I’m even more tempted now. Typical - just after I’d decided to get the Wavestate!

In reality, I know I’ll end up with them both so the only real debate is “which first”. I need to go try an Argon for myself….

8 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

I’m even more tempted now. Typical - just after I’d decided to get the Wavestate!

In reality, I know I’ll end up with them both so the only real debate is “which first”. I need to go try an Argon for myself….

Its really hard to try these things at the moment, not only are there fewer keyboards around, shops are less keen on you touching them. Not that you can really get the feel for much in a shop.

The build of the Modal stuff is excelent.

If there is any downside I would say the amount of operators is a restriction on the argon, although it hasn't held me up. Maybe in the future the lack of loading wavetables might be an issue, although I have a blofeld and I have never loaded any on that.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I’ve been considering the sister synth to this - the Cobalt8. Everything I’ve seen online leads me to think these synths are incredible, especially for the money.

How are you getting on with your Argon @Woodinblack?

I love the argon, although I haven't been doing much synth work at the moment. It seems really well built although I suspect the Cobalt would be a bit more accessible as it is easier to picture what you want on an analogue synth layout rather than the wavetable. 

That’s what I’m thinking re: ease of analogue synth workflow vs wavetable workflow. The iOS editor looks fantastic too. Was debating getting the module version but given how good the Modal keybeds are that might be a missed opportunity. Could always use the Cobalt keys to trigger other synths. 

• Like 1