Why become a member? ×

Filling the "gaps" in a 3 piece - during guitar solo etc

Nail Soup

interesting topic. In my opinion, if the bottom end drops out when the guitarist switches from rhythm to lead, then his rhythm sound had too much low end in it. Loads of rock songs will have a verse or a bridge where the guitarist doesn't play. This creates dynamics, giving the feel of a quieter section, but the bottom doesn't drop out, because that's the bass guitar and the bass drum

• Like 1

On 08/06/2021 at 08:05, ubit said:

No problem with the solo leaving a hole in the song. As said before, let the bass and drums do their thing. it's not thin it adds dynamics.

Always regret not seeing Rory Gallagher live.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alant said:

I did mate but it was sad. It was late in his career and he was playing at a festival in Glasgow. He was out of his face on drink or something. He stumbled about messing up his parts and disappearing for long periods leaving the drummer and bassist to carry on. The set was cut short and he died not long after that. It was a sad end to a legendary performer.

2 minutes ago, ubit said:

I did mate but it was sad. It was late in his career and he was playing at a festival in Glasgow. He was out of his face on drink or something. He stumbled about messing up his parts and disappearing for long periods leaving the drummer and bassist to carry on. The set was cut short and he died not long after that. It was a sad end to a legendary performer.

Yes very sad. Always came across as a nice bloke in the few documentary films I've seen also.

45 minutes ago, alant said:

I was lucky to see him on his (incompletely documented) universities tour in late 1981.

Possibly the first big gig I ever saw, but I didn't need to be a seasoned muso to realise it was phenomenal. I'd never seen anyone playing a rock solo on a mandolin before (or since).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alant said:

I saw him at The Hammersmith Odeon in the ‘70s. I was a loud, energetic gig, unfortunately spoiled by a crap mix, where the bass bins in the PA actually made me feel nauseated. Still glad I was there though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alant said:

One of my biggest musical regrets is never seeing Rory Gallagher live.  Had the chance in 1980 (I think) ... me and my mates were bored one Sunday evening and the choice was either the Airplane! movie or Rory Gallagher at the Glasgow Apollo.  We chose the movie ☹️

3 hours ago, Treeb said:

One of my biggest musical regrets is never seeing Rory Gallagher live.  Had the chance in 1980 (I think) ... me and my mates were bored one Sunday evening and the choice was either the Airplane! movie or Rory Gallagher at the Glasgow Apollo.  We chose the movie ☹️

That was the wrong choice surely?

;)

Edited by Nail Soup
Emoticon added
  • Like 1

Love RG. Good example of guitar soloing whist the rhythm section does its thing.

Same as Free....I love it when there's a drop out....puts a real emphasis on what's driving the band.

In my last trio, I would play a million notes and play all over the fretboard during solos! 

I think both approaches work,  can't go wrong with either. I guess one would be rock solid, whist the other can be more experimental,  and spontaneous. I love some of the Hendrix live stuff where Jimi solos, but Noel and Mitch go bananas as well!

Edited by spongebob

I have a few approaches to this -

a) just play the bassline - embrace the space.

b) play the bassline up an octave and get some more kick from the drummer.

c) effects- overdrive, octave etc can all thicken up your sound

d) busier bassline - chords/double stops etc

any combination of these will work.

On 02/06/2021 at 09:25, Supernaut said:

Played in three pieces / one guitarist bands for years, pretty much my whole playing career.

I would recommend...

Guitarist has humbuckers or minimum P90s. Single coils just don't cut it for three pieces.

Bass player has some sort of light/medium OD gain for solos to 'fill' it out. Also, lock in tight with the drums and keep the rhythm steady. 

Just Re-reading the thread and sorry to be a pedant but are P90’s not actually single coils just made by Gibson?

If you like them then single coils can fill the gap in three pieces…