Why become a member? ×

Filling the "gaps" in a 3 piece - during guitar solo etc

Nail Soup

7 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

This three piece doesn't seem to be leaving many gaps in the sound

That sort of music require quite a lot of mental concentration to listen to.

It would empty most pubs in short order.

That's not meant as any criticism of their abilities, but it does show the need to fit the music to the situation.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That sort of music require quite a lot of mental concentration to listen to.

That's not meant as any criticism of their abilities, but it does show the need to fit the music to the situation.

The combination of jazz fusion, a six string fretless bass and ex members of Megadeth is probably not something you are going to come across generally at the Dog & Duck on a Saturday night...! 

2 hours ago, peteb said:

The combination of jazz fusion, a six string fretless bass and ex members of Megadeth is probably not something you are going to come across generally at the Dog & Duck on a Saturday night...! 

Exactly, which renders it less relevant for most of us humbler musicians 🙂

12 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Exactly, which renders it less relevant for most of us humbler musicians 🙂

I'm not sure that I necessarily agree with that. We can always learn from those who push the boundaries, even if we have no intention of emulating them. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, peteb said:

I'm not sure that I necessarily agree with that. We can always learn from those who push the boundaries, even if we have no intention of emulating them. 

I won't disagree with that, but I don't think their approach would suit most bands.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I won't disagree with that, but I don't think their approach would suit most bands.

Certainly not any of the bands that I play with...!

But you can always learn something or maybe cop a lick or two... 

No problem with the solo leaving a hole in the song. As said before, let the bass and drums do their thing. it's not thin it adds dynamics.

Edited by ubit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/06/2021 at 12:39, Stub Mandrel said:

I would be first out the door. No doubting their ability but that is  just horrific to my ears and I consider myself to have a very eclectic taste.

I've mostly played in 3 piece bands, over the years. Dynamics help give the impression that the energy of the song has gone up instead of down.

Bing the volume level down before the solo starts and then bring it up when the guitarist goes into the solo. 

Another trick is for the band to stop for a couple of bars, just before the solo, then when the band come back in and the guitarist starts his solo, it gives the impression that you've gone up a gear rather than down a gear.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, ubit said:

No problem with the solo leaving a hole in the song. As said before, let the bass and drums do their thing. it's not thin it adds dynamics.

LOVE IT ! !  Guitar + Drums + Bass 

Thankyou for posting this video ubit,  a great 3-piece rock performance.

Chris

Not read the whole thread so unsure if repeating anything said by anyone else but here’s my two penneth. Either/or...

1) Work with it and make it a feature of the band. In the heavyish realm at least Pantera stand out as a band that left the bass to do its thing under a solitary guitar, often even in the studio.

2) Add a second channel with a T-Rex Quint machine and some dirt, with the Quint set to 100% wet at an octave and also a fifth above. 

Both of the above have worked in bands I’ve been in, to my ears at least.

Edited by mr4stringz
Darn autocorrect.

10 hours ago, ubit said:

This is pretty much what a lot of people here are talking about, as far as I can see. The bass player clearly changes his playing under the guitar solo, but the feel of the song stays consistent. He plays harder, higher on the neck and busier, but he doesn't fundamentally change the mood of the song.

I think most people in this thread are pretty much in agreement; it's just a matter of defining what "filling out" or "changing the part" actually means.

In the end, it has to suit the music. In some cases, that might mean fuzz, chords and fills, while in others you'll want to really hang back and let the music breathe.

Edited by Naigewron

On 02/06/2021 at 16:16, Lozz196 said:

DG is just a a genius, in fact I’m sure that DG actually stands for Dat Genius and not David Gilmour.

Total thread hijack...I make no apology....That flippin solo is up there with anything anyone ever wrote including Beethoven tho I do wish Mr Pratt would quietly stand back as per his band mates, its the Dave show not the Guy show.