Why become a member? ×

Matriarch or Subsequent 37?

obi 2 kenobi

The matriach is quite a bit bigger I would say - its another octave for a start.

Don't know - what sort of thing do you want? I would pick the subsequent every day, but I like presets and cant be bothered wiring stuff up, did that in the past, don't need to now. If you want to spend a lot of time creating just the one sound, the matriach is probably the one you want. 

Take a hard look at the Sequential Pro3 before making your final choice. It has 3 filters, one of which is a Moog-type ladder filter (with the added option of resonance compensation so bass isn’t lost as resonance is increased). The Pro 3 keyboard is much better, sequencer is more powerful, it has more capable and modulation routing and has lovely built-in effects. They’re roughly the same price.

On 30/05/2021 at 23:17, Woodinblack said:

The matriach is quite a bit bigger I would say - its another octave for a start.

Don't know - what sort of thing do you want? I would pick the subsequent every day, but I like presets and cant be bothered wiring stuff up, did that in the past, don't need to now. If you want to spend a lot of time creating just the one sound, the matriach is probably the one you want. 

Of those two, I’d probably go for the Subsequent, partly as I dislike the idea of messy patch cabling but also because presets are handy for saving creations. 

10 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Take a hard look at the Sequential Pro3 before making your final choice. 

Oh agreed - there are quite a few synths I would have to go through before those two were my choices (although I was tempted by the subsequent) but I was just picking based on the brief!

Hadn't noticed the Pro3, but sequential stuff was always my first love

48 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh agreed - there are quite a few synths I would have to go through before those two were my choices (although I was tempted by the subsequent) but I was just picking based on the brief!

Hadn't noticed the Pro3, but sequential stuff was always my first love

Subsequent is pretty nice, it was the best of what was available at the time for the money I had. (I did briefly have a Pro 2, which was great but the keybed was weak and the knobs went über-wobbly after just two weeks.)

The Pro 3 is lovely and offers quite a lot more, whilst still being pretty much knob-per-function.

Matrixbrute is also worth a look. 

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

Subsequent is pretty nice, it was the best of what was available at the time for the money I had.

Yep, I liked the subsequent, but although I came close, I couldn't justify getting something when I wouldn't have got to use it that much.

TBH, at home I play the Piano and the Roland DS if I want other sounds. The piano connects to the Bloefeld, for other tasks. Now I have the argon, which is sort of a bit of a crossover with the blofeld., but although less versatile is very front panel 'accessible' (and has a seriously nice keyboard)

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

The Pro 3 is lovely and offers quite a lot more, whilst still being pretty much knob-per-function.

Isn;'t that matrixbrute more expensive thought - or am I thinking of the polybrute

19 minutes ago, bartelby said:

It's £1850 for the MatrixBrute and £2200 for the Poly

They can be found cheaper. You can still get the MB with the dedicated hard case for £1579:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/synthesizer/arturia-matrixbrute-synthesizer-flight-case

Bax has some UK premises so VAT is paid at point of sale. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Fully agreed. IMHO it's a beast from another world within the realm of analogue mono.
I regret having had to sell mine - only for pecuniary reasons.

That said, the OP says he won't go there, and also: the MB isn't really the next level from a Little Phatty.
Sounds as if the OP wants a synth - with "that" sound - that can do more than the Phatty.
IMHO the MB is for people who know exactly what they're doing (or for people who just accept the presets).

Sadly the OP gave little info to work from, and hasn't responded to you guys' inputs. 

Edited by BassTractor

On 30/05/2021 at 13:43, obi 2 kenobi said:

About to pull the trigger. 
Selling a little phatty to move to the next level. 
It’s got to be a moog. 
what do you suggest?

I’d be asking myself what it is about the Sub Phatty that you find lacking and go from there. (For me it’d be the small number of presets, short keyboard and the fact that lots of hidden options are only accessible via convoluted multi-button presses. Subsequent has almost all of its info accessible from the panel, and the menus, when needed, aren’t too deep.)

Can’t fault the sound of the Sub Phatty - its beastly. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, that is one good thing you can say about them. Oh hang on, that is the only good thing you can say about them!

Please don’t tempt fate, I still haven’t opened a synth I bought from them in January and dread to think the nightmare of having to deal with a post-Brexit return. I actually saved £1400 by buying from them so there are definitely some positives. 

9 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Please don’t tempt fate, I still haven’t opened a synth I bought from them in January and dread to think the nightmare of having to deal with a post-Brexit return. I actually saved £1400 by buying from them so there are definitely some positives. 

OK, well the last thing I bought post brexit, my TMB35 went fine, it turned up after a few days when it should, it was all good.

It was just the EHB1505 that had the split network that I returned that hermes lost that I had to wait 3 months to get a refund or replacement from them. Worked out ok in the end, I got both.

5 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Hey! Spaghetti is where it’s at guys!!

8AE61882-3C89-4CA4-8FAB-FFD60FA61E22.thumb.jpeg.796a0895369d819a09d8deb5c119984d.jpeg

🤮 That hurts my head. I used to get annoyed catching my hand on the audio cable on my Rhodes. This is my idea of hell. I’m glad, as I’d probably spend a fortune on modular if I ever got into it. Happy to never go near it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

🤮 That hurts my head. I used to get annoyed catching my hand on the audio cable on my Rhodes. This is my idea of hell. I’m glad, as I’d probably spend a fortune on modular if I ever got into it. Happy to never go near it. 

That's a pretty basic patch too! Which reminds me, I need to order more patch leads.
And yes, it's not called EuroCrack for nothing...
Had I not spent £1800 on a fretless bass and a valve amp in the last year, I have no doubt it would have gone on modules...

• Haha 1

My joy in life is playing live. If something has cables they are going to be pulled out transporting them. There is no way I could trust a modular playing live, so it is a nogo from me. And the thing I really hate about playing live is all the cables!

Quatschmacher

I’d be asking myself what it is about the Sub Phatty that you find lacking and go from there. (For me it’d be the small number of presets, short keyboard and the fact that lots of hidden options are only accessible via convoluted multi-button presses. Subsequent has almost all of its info accessible from the panel, and the menus, when needed, aren’t too deep.)

Can’t fault the sound of the Sub Phatty - its beastly

Thank you all for the replies & advice.

I have a Little Phatty (not Sub). Bought it on ebay last Summer as 1st synth. Programming & key skills have improved (albeit from zero). It does sound great but I would like to have a sequencer (LP has none) and an Arp (extremely basic on LP). LP patch memory is limited and it does not have a PC editor. Consequently I am programming patches straight - ignoring presets which led me to considering Matriarch plus it has Fatar keybed.

However the Matriarch maybe a step too far for me (e.g. patching knowledge needed) and I am not sure I would use / benefit from everything it can do. Hence the dilemma with Sub 37 / Matriarch.

I have considered other manufacturers but would like to stay with Moog and expand on what I've learned with the LP (which has a similar control layout to the Sub)