Why become a member? ×

Reggae Tracks that are rock covers.

TheGreek

There are many, many Reggae tracks which are covers of Rock tracks but the only one I can think that was a Reggae track first and covered by a rock artist is "I shot the Sherriff" by Bob Marley/ Eric Clapton.

There must be others....

4 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Sly and Robbie were on it with her I'm sure... I always thought of Grace's version as the original but probably I'm wrong there !

Not sure you are wrong there, apparently chrissie wrote it , here’s what songfacts says 

• This was written by Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders, as "like all the other London punks, I wanted to do reggae." It was included on The Pretenders 1980 self-titled debut album but when the singer heard Jones' version she conceded, "That's how it's supposed to be done."
  • Jamaican musical legends Sly Dunbar & Robbie Shakespeare supplied the backing to this track.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Not sure you are wrong there, apparently chrissie wrote it , here’s what songfacts says 

• This was written by Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders, as "like all the other London punks, I wanted to do reggae." It was included on The Pretenders 1980 self-titled debut album but when the singer heard Jones' version she conceded, "That's how it's supposed to be done."
  • Jamaican musical legends Sly Dunbar & Robbie Shakespeare supplied the backing to this track.

Didn't realise C Hynde actually wrote it !.... Oh well we can't have that one as "was a Reggae first" then, pity ! Still, Grace's version beats it by miles ! ;)

4 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Am I remembering right that there is a full album Reggae cover of Dark side of the Moon?

Dub Side of the Moon?

Yes, by Easy Star All Stars. Really good album. I heard an interview where Nick Mason was asked his opinion of it an he was really positive about it. 

They also have albums called Radio dread and Sargent Peppers Lonely Heart Dub Band

There's also Doom Side Of The Moon by Sword

Edited by SteveXFR

Yeah...Easy Star All-Stars have done a few albums including Thrilla, Dubber Side, Sgt Peppers....all on my phone..

I'm thinking that there aren't many that went the other way.

Edited by TheGreek

1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

Wasn't there a cover of "No woman no cry" in the 80s? Googled but couldn't find anything.

Thankfully nobody's referred to the bastardisation of "Night Nurse" by Simple Red

Surely Simply Red can't be made worse?