Why become a member? ×

Steinberger basses

bassmayhem

I've had a crush on Steinberger basses since the early 80's. I got my first, a fretless lined L2 in 1984, in Hamburg at Bernhard Kurzke's Music Center N:o 1. It was an early one with three digit serial number. I owned that bass until 2006, when I sold it to a nice guy in Berlin. After a few years the itch started, so I got another one, an XL2 1986, but I traded it in a weak moment. Then I got my third: a 5 string XL25, but I couldn't cope with the VERY narrow string spacing, so that one went on a one way trip too. Then I found a nice four string XL2 from 1984 here on BassChat and bought it. It is in pristine condition, but it had a serious failure when I was preparing for a gig: one of the threads in the bridge/tuner broke... Anyway, I have changed all the tuner parts for new made in much better material and construction, bought from https://www.headlessusa.com/bass-jaws I kept all the original parts in a drawer, but they are really worn out. Now the bass works as a dream; I also bought the string adapter from them, not the ugly ones you see here: https://www.headlessusa.com/string-adaptrrs but a black sleek model that looks like it belongs on the bass.

50493357073_42a4045011_k.jpg
The bass has the old style detachable leg rest; I believe this is one of the so called transition models, with some DNA from the L2 and some from the XL2.

But...
I don't use the bass. It just stands there in all its glory. I also try to thin out the stock and only keep the basses I really use. I tend to go to two of my five strings most of the time. I am seriously thinking about selling it, but I'm not sure about that. The value on these basses is steadily increasing, so selling it may be a very bad idea economically. (Or maybe not.) Also there is some affectionate value, but not that hard, since this isn't The One I got when I was young and hungry; now I am only old and well fed. ;) 

So my question is: What would you do?

• Like 1

This passed through my hands too I think - a superb example but unplayable to me - as much as I loved the unique tone (and brilliant industrial design), the ergonomics just didn’t work at all.  As much as it was a stunning ornament, I’d certainly be in the sell camp (indeed, I did!)

I see here a functional travel bass. I know the neck profile isn't for me, but a similar bass could travel with me to the cottage or even some work trips. I will acquire or build something similar in the future, serious full scale, and small.

I have a modern copy - an XT25 that I bought from Gear4Music a few years ago. I just wanted a travel bass, and it's great for that - light, small and easy to lug about. Nice tone, too.

On the downside, it's an ergonomic nightmare. Horrendous neck dive and an awkward playing position even with a strap extender fitted. 

Back in the years BC (Before Covid) I used to take it to London on work trips and use it to work on new songs, which I'd then polish up on my Jazz when I got home.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I like a steinberger, which ones have you got EMG 🙂

I have an L2 that I bought new in the 80s. It was my main bass for about 12 years during the busiest period of my playing career. Joined later on by a matching L2 fretless. Joined later again by an XL2T- XL2 with the Trans Trem bridge. And finally joined later by an XL5W- the wide necked 5 String. I'm not going to count the Status 6 that Rob built for me in the Steinberger form while I was still looking for a 5'er!

Pics if you like that sort of thing are all in this post Graphite (Steinberger vs Status) - Page 2 - Bass Guitars - Basschat

Edited by EMG456
Add link to pics
  • Thanks 1