Why become a member? ×

Picture yourself in a three piece .... what's the guitarist playing?

Munurmunuh

With their amplifier or effects board,  all of which have far too many knobs to entertain them. ( They should be made to play bass for a song or two, so they understand you can't drop out one note, let alone a whole bloody verse....)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

What proportion of them leave more holes in the texture than they realise? And is it nice having the task of filling them in?

They all make good use of dynamics and light and shade. These are very effective tools.

We don't have to be filling the sound out and playing all the time. If they are talking to the audience, for instance, most are quite happy to stop playing and let the bass and drums continue.

5 minutes ago, casapete said:

With their amplifier or effects board,  all of which have far too many knobs to entertain them. ( They should be made to play bass for a song or two, so they understand you can't drop out one note, let alone a whole bloody verse....)

I know a guitarist who depped a gig on bass. He said he found it very tiring, because he had to be playing all the time and couldn't take any breaks!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Serious answer.............

If it was a 3 piece to play some of my punkier/new-wavier stuff then I'd like a non-Gibson like a Jaguar though a nicely overdriven valve combo. Boost pedal for solo/lead.

Otherwise maybe it could be to play some more experimental, rhythmically-driven stuff where the guitarist would play some sharp, often sparse, imaginative, echo-ey stuff with a Tele, clean channel  amp like Peavy Bandit and a reasonable pedal board for echo and tremelo etc.

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Thanks 1

The guitarist in my blues/rock trio plays all manner of guitars.  His main one is an 80s Fender Strat but he always swaps for a Gibson for some songs - historically a Les Paul or 335 but he recently bought a Flying V.  Then a cheapo Les Paul copy tuned to an open chord for slide.  To be fair, whatever he plays he absolutely smokes it :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Same basic question: ignore statistical reality, what's he playing when you picture things at their best?

One of the PRS ofter the strat type, occasionally the Les Paul, once in a while a V2 Explorer, but only if his back is up to it...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mike f said:

Tele through a JCM800 with a nice selection of pedals. Loud.

7 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I've been wondering, if they're playing a Tele, would that make that less likely?8115011706_8b39dca95a_b.jpg

Near enough?

• Like 1