Why become a member? ×

When taking a chance pays off - the SCR DI saga

Nibody

Picked up an Ampeg SCR-DI from Fleabay via those well practiced destroyers of gear, Gear4Music. £50, described as "having a hissing noise"

As it turns out, after much testing and stressing, what they completely failed to mention was it had NO noise, in fact no sound via the inputs, and indeed no power socket as it had been smashed into the body. Fortunately I had the remains of a dead Behringer BDi21 which had the exact same 9v socket on it. Unfortunately the trace pad that the third connector (which bypasses the battery when a power lead is connected I believe) was trashed. Fortunately the +ve and -ve pads were intact. So now I had power - but still no sound.  Then discovered the ribbon cable between the input section and main board had two broken wires. There is no way I was going to attempt to desolder and trim back the whole ribbon cable, so I placed two wire jumpers across the two broken sections of Ribbon cable. H ey presto fully working Ampeg SCR-DI. The mind boggles how exactly the hell they managed to breeak the power socket so spectacularly AND break two Ribbon cable attachments on a 10-wire ribbon cable when everything inside is so well attached to the frame! Pedal looks like it had been on someones board so I guess they broke it and sent it back and the returns departement were to lazy to check it.

So despite thinking it was initially well beyond repair, I know have a fully working (apart from the battery section) SCR-DI. The DOWNSIDE is I thought it was completely FUBAR so I ordered a new one.. so I will shortly have TWO... lol

• Like 1