Why become a member? ×

Fitting HiMass Fender Bridge to Player Series

Guest BassAdder27

I’m thinking of swopping my stock PBass player series bridge with a Fender HiMass 

Anyone suffered with action problems later 

At the moment my low E saddle bottom has about 1/8” above the base of the vintage bridge 

The HiMass is thicker and I’m curious if getting similar action is possible without shimming the neck ? 

I've fitted a Fender badass-style high mass bridge to two of my basses (a squier SS jag & an '81 Fender precision) I had no problems with setting a low action and I don't recall reshimming either at the time. Unless the saddles on the current bridge are set really low you should be OK. If you do have to shim its really easy to do and a little goes a long way.

Ok Fender HiMass Bridge arrived and I fitted it ( very easy )

I can confirm the action is fine and I can get the Fender recommendations in action height which is how I had it before 

Nice bridge and a big improvement over the stock vintage bridge on the Player Series 

Edited by BassAdder27

I fitted a fender Hi Mass bridge on to my player series and to be honest I never really noticed much difference. It looked more cool but sonically didn't make a great deal of a difference. I sold the bass on after a year and put the stock fender MIM bridge back on the bass. Sounded as good with either bridge. I never had any issues with setup. Only thing I would mention is you have to be very careful cutting string slots, specially if your fitting the hi-mass bridge on to a leftie bass 🤨

IMG_0975.jpeg

On 02/06/2021 at 00:16, dangoose said:

I fitted a fender Hi Mass bridge on to my player series and to be honest I never really noticed much difference. It looked more cool but sonically didn't make a great deal of a difference. I sold the bass on after a year and put the stock fender MIM bridge back on the bass. Sounded as good with either bridge. I never had any issues with setup. Only thing I would mention is you have to be very careful cutting string slots, specially if your fitting the hi-mass bridge on to a leftie bass 🤨

IMG_0975.jpeg

Why did you cut string slots ? 
mine came ready to fit with string cuts already done.

I thought that was standard 

On 07/06/2021 at 22:12, BassAdder27 said:

Why did you cut string slots ? 
mine came ready to fit with string cuts already done.

I thought that was standard 

Because it was fitted onto a left hand bass. The bridge comes as a right hand unit and the saddles did have those small v notches already cut but for right handed fitting. The notches were re-cut to suit left hand use and to keep string alignment & spacing even.