Why become a member? ×

You must surely like at least ONE song of theirs

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

My understanding of 'grunge'  is that it's less a description of the music and more to do with the punkish reaction against the corporate AOR and spandex & hair bands that dominated US rock in the 80s. A bit like 70s punk which again was more defined by attitude than a musical style.

The 90's was a really confusing time for metal. Things started to fall apart.

Bruce Dickinson left Maiden. Vince Neil left Motley Crue. Grunge happened. New sounds like Sepultura, Nine Inch Nails and Tool came into play, and new genres opened up. Newsted cut his hair. Ellefson cut his hair. I couldn't get along with any of it.

1 minute ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Bruce Dickinson left Maiden. Vince Neil left Motley Crue. Grunge happened. New sounds like Sepultura, Nine Inch Nails and Tool came into play, and new genres opened up. Newsted cut his hair. Ellefson cut his hair. I couldn't get along with any of it.

Impossible not to like Tool or Kyus surely?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

... or at least something from Nine Inch Nails..? o.O

1 minute ago, tegs07 said:

Impossible not to like Tool or Kyus surely?

I can take or leave Kyuss. I like Tool now but I admit it took some convincing - I was fashionably late to the party in grasping their sheer brilliance, shall we say. The point I was trying to make was the gaping difference in metal as we know it, when those two decades are compared. Lots of great bands came out of the 90's - it just took me a while to get with the programme.

12 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

I can take or leave Kyuss. I like Tool now but I admit it took some convincing - I was fashionably late to the party in grasping their sheer brilliance, shall we say. The point I was trying to make was the gaping difference in metal as we know it, when those two decades are compared. Lots of great bands came out of the 90's - it just took me a while to get with the programme.

Fair enough. I’ve never really been into metal. I like Sabbath and some of the doom stuff but find a lot of it a bit too Pantomime for my tastes (I get the appeal though I’m terms of musicality).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

I really loved the metal of the 80's but for me the 90's was my decade. The music suddenly changed and evolved into something I really liked. Grunge was fantastic to my ears and I also loved the brilliance of Trent Reznor. Hair metal had gone and rock was more sophisticated. The 2000's has seen an even bigger evolving of rock and metal. Don't get me wrong, metal is not my be all and end all. I have a very eclectic taste but rock and hard rock and very hard rock are still going to be my go to. I still enjoy hearing new music and still get blown away by how music evolves yet stays the same.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ubit said:

The music suddenly changed and evolved into something I really liked. Grunge was fantastic to my ears and I also loved the brilliance of Trent Reznor. Hair metal had gone and rock was more sophisticated. The 2000's has seen an even bigger evolving of rock and metal.

Very well put. The sound of metal changed so much. I hated it at the time but looking back, what a broad base of music it became. I know that black metal had its roots in the 80's but the emergence of extreme metal in the 90's and 00's was just mindblowing. To go so deep into those subgenres was just a maze I didn't want to ever come out of by the time the year 2000 arrived.

Edited by MHMSWC#03

On 29/05/2021 at 17:53, Ricky Rioli said:

I remember Noel Gallagher's unconvincing attempt to roll back his estimation of them as "bedwetters" 

While I entirely agree with this particular opinion, I don't think I give a flying f-ck what that whiny, arrogant tosser or his lairy brother think

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

I can't stand the stuff from early punk, ie sex pistols/ramones etc. I have yet to find a song from that genre I like

I'm with you on the Sex Pistols. They were just a bit cheesy. Ramones were OK but once you've heard one of their songs you've heard them all

For me, the greats of 70's punk were The Clash, The Damned, The Ruts and The Stranglers. I'm also a big fan of Dead Kennedys and Misfits but I think they're 80's

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm with you on the Sex Pistols. They were just a bit cheesy. Ramones were OK but once you've heard one of their songs you've heard them all

For me, the greats of 70's punk were The Clash, The Damned, The Ruts and The Stranglers. I'm also a big fan of Dead Kennedys and Misfits but I think they're 80's

The Ramones do seem like that, but it's all about the melody line and Joey's voice with them, IMO they do pull off the very hard trick of making something very simple, special, it's indefinable, if it was definable everyone would be able to do it

42 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

Also, I can't stand the beatles. If anyone wants me I'll be in hiding.

27 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Glad I'm not the only one!

but you must surely you must like ONE song of theirs 😊 

15 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

but you must surely you must like ONE song of theirs 😊 

Do I really have to?

(I do my best to ignore the Dead's versions of Beatles songs)

Edited by FinnDave

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Do I really have to?

(I do my best to ignore the Dead's versions of Beatles songs)

well that is the title of the thread, if it helps I have a friend who also doesn't like the Beatles, when pressed he admitted he quite liked Only a Northern Song 😊

3 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

I can't stand the stuff from early punk, ie sex pistols/ramones etc. I have yet to find a song from that genre I like

I can't stand the stuff from any punk, ie sex pistols/ramones etc. I have yet to find a song from that genre I like. -_-

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I can't stand the stuff from any punk, ie sex pistols/ramones etc. I have yet to find a song from that genre I like. -_-

doesn't surprise me, each to their own eh? I can think of a Jazz song I like if take 5 counts 😊

• Like 1

I really had no idea this was a rock orientated bass site, wonder why? Anyway, love DC, Stones et al but I need my soul, pop, old school chart groovers just to get through the day...Gonna stick some O'Jays on now followed by Marvin Gayes live album....mmm. YMMV.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

I can't stand the stuff from early punk, ie sex pistols

I cannot put this simpler....you had to be there.  I was an ardent Philly Soul Motown nut. The first time I heard Pretty Vacant...my mind literally re-booted itself. I'm still a soul groove nut but Johnny Rotten Esq changed everything. 

7 hours ago, ubit said:

I really loved the metal of the 80's but for me the 90's was my decade. The music suddenly changed and evolved into something I really liked. Grunge was fantastic to my ears and I also loved the brilliance of Trent Reznor. Hair metal had gone and rock was more sophisticated. The 2000's has seen an even bigger evolving of rock and metal. Don't get me wrong, metal is not my be all and end all. I have a very eclectic taste but rock and hard rock and very hard rock are still going to be my go to. I still enjoy hearing new music and still get blown away by how music evolves yet stays the same.

I was too young for original punk/new wave so Grunge was the first scene that appealed to me. 30 years later it still sounds as good. Never cared for NWOBHM and apart from Slayer's seminal albums never got into thrash though I was well into Bush era Anthrax (that's John not the time of Dubya's presidency).  Then along came Slipknot, Lamb of God , Killswitch Engage and metal all got a whole lot better. + 1 hear for NIN. BTW ex NIN guitar geezer  Richard Patrick went onto form the great and underrated Filter whose first three albums are the bomb.

Edited by Barking Spiders