Why become a member? ×

You must surely like at least ONE song of theirs

14 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I think not liking Gimmie Shelter should be punished by exile to Hull at the vary least (Hull is spelled correctly).

Here in Hull we love Gimme Shelter, so watch out.......😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is it churlish of me to have a pathological dislike of Madness? Gimme the gloom of early Cure and Joy Division any day over the chirpy and chipper not quite cockernees. I'm struggling hard to find one Madness song that doesn't make me want to pierce my eardrums with kebab skewers.

I'm not an ABBA fan ( other than admiring their professionalism). But the one track that' does move me is 'Thank You For the Music'

My Mum ( who was a splendid old luvvie) requested it to be played at her funeral.

'I've been so lucky, I am the girl with golden hair'...

Not a dry eye in the house. 💖

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Put on Hot Rocks and take a drive! Report back.

I don't need to leave the house. Not familiar with all the tracks on it, but the ones I have heard I don't like. At all.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2021 at 12:01, Reggaebass said:

I played in a 9 ball pool league , and every pub we went to my friend put this on the jukebox,I didn’t , but I now love it 

One of my all time fave videos.  Bon looks like a proper nutter for about half the time ;)

A

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I never had any time for madness , if anything I preferred a few tracks from the specials or the Beat at the time 

At the time I thought Madness were just comic pop junk, though in recent times a friend got into listening to them retrospectively I guess, and having had them played at me a bit I kind of quite appreciated some of the Saxophone bits . as for The Beat how could anyone not like Rankin' Roger !

On 28/05/2021 at 11:53, Earbrass said:

Generally, anything by any of the "rat pack" makes my skin crawl, but I do like Sinatra's "That's Life".

Sinatra's version I can take or leave, but I love Diamond Dave's version off of Eat 'em and Smile.

A

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I never had any time for madness , if anything I preferred a few tracks from the specials or the Beat at the time 

The Beat, now you're talkin' . One of the best live bands I've ever seen and can't think of any of their tunes I don't like. 

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Is it churlish of me to have a pathological dislike of Madness? Gimme the gloom of early Cure and Joy Division any day over the chirpy and chipper not quite cockernees. I'm struggling hard to find one Madness song that doesn't make me want to pierce my eardrums with kebab skewers.

Sounds like someone needs to get in touch with their 'bonkers' side 😉!

11 hours ago, chris_b said:

Funnily enough, I can watch most music, even stuff I don't like, being played. I just prefer live music performances and watching musicians at work.

I can see where you're coming from.  I think it gives you some kind of insight into the minds of the musos.

A

8 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

Correct. Ray Manzarek took care of business on keys with his left hand.

He did for live shows, but I believe on most of their studio stuff they used various session bass players. Not a big Doors fan myself, but my older brother was into them for a while so I got to hear quite a lot of their albums. Years later their influence on The Stranglers was apparent too.

10 minutes ago, casapete said:

He did for live shows, but I believe on most of their studio stuff they used various session bass players.

You know, I didn't actually know that. I have read quite a few of their bios etc and I don't recall that (no reason to disbelieve you though).

9 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

You know, I didn't actually know that. I have read quite a few of their bios etc and I don't recall that (no reason to disbelieve you though).

I think it’s correct, but happy to have someone put me right if not. Anyone help out there?

11 hours ago, casapete said:

He did for live shows, but I believe on most of their studio stuff they used various session bass players. Not a big Doors fan myself, but my older brother was into them for a while so I got to hear quite a lot of their albums. Years later their influence on The Stranglers was apparent too.

Except for the bass!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, casapete said:

@jerryscheff was one of those players @MHMSWC#03 - he played for elvis 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1