Why become a member? ×

You must surely like at least ONE song of theirs

Prompted by a post on another thread viz a comment on ABBA, of those bands/artists that have put out a lot of (varied) music everyone must surely like at least ONE song, or even one album maybe? So, of those you generally don't care for, what's the ONE song you do like muchly? Here goes..

AC/DC (Johnson stuff) - I like a fair few Bon Scott era tunes but the only one from the Johnson era for me is Shoot To Thrill

ABBA  - they're a band I appreciate a lot more than choose to listen to, though by a long way I think their best song is SOS

Rush -normally wouldn't touch these guys with 2  bargepoles attached end to end  but Far Cry is pretty great

Yes - their prog proper stuff leaves me cold but Owner of a Lonely Heart is a minor classic

Genesis -same can be said for this lot but Misunderstanding's a gem

Rolling Stones - never ever got this lot and like the Beatles they should've quit  in 1970 but The Last Time is a classic

Aerosmith - a poor man's Rolling Stones and I cared no more for their post-drugs stuff than their wasted period, but No Surprize, from the generally dire Night in The Ruts, is still a cracker

Kiss - a band who I've consistently disliked over many decades but I'll turn up the volume if Shout It Out Loud comes on the radio

I gave them all a careful listen, and in sequence, but the only one I've retained is Schubert's Ninth (but special mention for the unfinished 'Eighth', just the same...). He finally came through, but should've ditched the rest. B|

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Prompted by a post on another thread viz a comment on ABBA, of those bands/artists that have put out a lot of (varied) music everyone must surely like at least ONE song, or even one album maybe? So, of those you generally don't care for, what's the ONE song you do like muchly? Here goes..

AC/DC (Johnson stuff) - I like a fair few Bon Scott era tunes but the only one from the Johnson era for me is Shoot To Thrill

ABBA  - they're a band I appreciate a lot more than choose to listen to, though by a long way I think their best song is SOS

Rush -normally wouldn't touch these guys with 2  bargepoles attached end to end  but Far Cry is pretty great

Yes - their prog proper stuff leaves me cold but Owner of a Lonely Heart is a minor classic

Rolling Stones - never ever got this lot and like the Beatles they should've quit  in 1970 but The Last Time is a classic

Aerosmith - a poor man's Rolling Stones and I cared no more for their post-drugs stuff than their wasted period, but No Surprize, from the generally dire Night in The Ruts, is still a cracker

Kiss - a band who I've consistently disliked over many decades but I'll turn up the volume if Shout It Out Loud comes on the radio

I find this list a little odd. I’m a big fan of all of these bands and although some of the songs you have selected are OK, I think each band have done better - I mean a LOT better.

Aerosmith a poor man’s Rolling Stones? I don’t think so.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Don't get that, in that I don't hear aerosmith like the rolling stones. I don't really like anything by the rolling stones (don't hate it either), but don't hear it like the rolling stones.

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I find this list a little odd. I’m a big fan of all of these bands and although some of the songs you have selected are OK, I think each band have done better - I mean a LOT better.

Same here. But that is the way with taste.

For me, if I like any songs, I generally like several as there is often a theme, unless they are one hit wonders. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Sorry @Barking Spiders, the only band on your list that I can listen to is the Stones....

I can honestly say I don't like even one track by the rest...

This thread wasn't meant to be about sticking to my list though, just any one track by anybody.

As for Aerosmith-Stones, don't tell me Steven Tyler didn't model himself on Mick Jagger?!

22 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I don’t really like any of the above apart from the stones. I will say that all of them are masters of their own genre and have written some huge songs.
I would also add Queen to the list and that if I was at a festival and any of the above were on the bill I would/would definitely have made a point of watching them play live.

Edited by tegs07

The Doors- Cant stand them.

The Beatles- Same.

Bruce Springsteen- Don't like him but I like I'm on Fire. 

American Pie- I detest that song in all its forms

Rod Stewart - I hate everything he does (and says mostly)

Everything else I pretty much love.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, ubit said:

The Doors- Cant stand them.

The Beatles- Same.

Bruce Springsteen- Don't like him but I like I'm on Fire. 

American Pie- I detest that song in all its forms

Rod Stewart - I hate everything he does (and says mostly)

Everything else I pretty much love.

Not even one tiny Beatles tune?😊. I can't abide their twee mop top period but once they discovered the joys of LSD etc, grew their hair on their heads and faces they produced a wide variety of tunes. For me more hits than misses.

The Doors are generally woeful but I do like LA Woman. Have to agree with you viz Rod Stewart. To me he's a repulsive man of little talent and can't be forgiven for travesties such as the Great America Song book albums, Merry Christmas Time Baby, Still The Same, Great Rock Classics of Our Time and Soulbook. He's a vastly inferior singer to all those who did the original songs on these albums. Weird thing is they all went platinum in many countries. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

This thread wasn't meant to be about sticking to my list though, just any one track by anybody.

As for Aerosmith-Stones, don't tell me Steven Tyler didn't model himself on Mick Jagger?!

Not wishing to split hairs, but for me, that’s slightly different to calling the band a poor man’s Rolling Stones. I would imagine it would be hard not to be influenced by Mick Jagger if you were a singer starting a rock band in the early 70’s. I’ll give you there are similarities in their stage moves, but I’ve seen them both and Tyler does it better. Vocally chalk and cheese, but YMMV 🤷‍♂️.

It’s weird though, I’ve been thinking about your original question since you started the thread and I can’t think of an example myself. There are few artists that I dislike and those that I do, I can’t think of a track I like. I suppose if there is a Neil Young track on which he doesn’t sing, that might qualify. I can’t stand listening to his whiny off key vocal. Turned Absolute Rock off yesterday because he came on. Anything involving Marc Almond singing is another mood hoover - I cannot stand his voice.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It’s weird though, I’ve been thinking about your original question since you started the thread and I can’t think of an example myself. There are few artists that I dislike and those that I do, I can’t think of a track I like. I suppose if there is a Neil Young track on which he doesn’t sing, that might qualify. I can’t stand listening to his whiny off key vocal. Turned Absolute Rock off yesterday because he came on. Anything involving Marc Almond singing is another mood hoover - I cannot stand his voice.

I'm no fan of NY, mainly cos of his voice but I do like Heart of Gold. Objectively speaking I do think's he's a good songwriter.

Have to agree about Marc Almond. I've got several 80s electronic/synth pop compilations but always skip the Soft Cell tracks

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

Just now, Barking Spiders said:

I'm no fan of NY, mainly cos of his voice but I do like Heart of Gold. Objectively speaking I do think's he's a good songwriter

Yes agreed. For that very reason I’ve tried very hard a number of times to listen and enjoy, but I can’t.

My most recent rock covers start up is a re-boot of a band of which only the guitarist remains. He put forward their old set list which contained Rockin’ In The Free World. That got kicked in fairly short time 😂.

33 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Not even one tiny Beatles tune?😊. I can't abide their twee mop top period but once they discovered the joys of LSD etc, grew their hair on their heads and faces they produced a wide variety of tunes. For me more hits than misses.

I admit to a general sweeping statement but to be honest there is so much I hate that I steer well clear of them and probably have missed out on some good songs. Others that I might have quite liked I have got sick of through over playing on radio stations when I were a lad.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes agreed. For that very reason I’ve tried very hard a number of times to listen and enjoy, but I can’t.

My most recent rock covers start up is a re-boot of a band of which only the guitarist remains. He put forward their old set list which contained Rockin’ In The Free World. That got kicked in fairly short time 😂.

I've just been playing some of his stuff and will upgrade my view of him from 'good' to 'great'. Like Bob Dylan, he's a top notch songwriter but maybe others do better versions. I do like his politics though. He seems a pretty sound geezer

I don't dislike any music. On the other hand I wouldn't listen to most of it out of choice.

Funnily enough, I can watch most music, even stuff I don't like, being played. I just prefer live music performances and watching musicians at work.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I've just been playing some of his stuff and will upgrade my view of him from 'good' to 'great'. Like Bob Dylan, he's a top notch songwriter but maybe others do better versions. I do like his politics though. He seems a pretty sound geezer

Maybe I’ll give him another go. Any recommendations?

I’m not a fan of either but like these two tracks;

Van Morrison - In The Days Before Rock and Roll

Bob Dylan - Hurricane

(Re: Aerosmith/Night In The Ruts… I love that album (with the exception of Mia). A proper dirty rock ‘n’ roll record - vaccinate your donkey with your phonograph needle”!)

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Have to agree about Marc Almond. I've got several 80s electronic/synth pop compilations but always skip the Soft Cell tracks

I am no fan of his voice or music but admit to quite liking "The days of Pearly Spencer".