Why become a member? ×

Buzz on G-string 7th fret. Technique?

sirmuppet

So like the title suggests I was playing a song last night that requires a little run. The last note of the first run is a D on the G string 7th fret. Every time I hit that note it buzzes. Have tried fingers and a pick but the same. I play the run up or down 1 fret and no buzz. So I swapped basses and the same thing (J & P basses). If I hit the note on it's own like I've just fretted it then it doesn't buzz. If I play the run and hit it maybe 3 or so times by the time I hit the 4th time it doesn't buzz. 

I'm thinking this has to be something in my technique but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. Tried fretting with the top of my finger and side to see if there's any difference. Playing standing up and sitting down (happens less when sitting down but still happens). I've Googled it but all I can come up with are people saying the E is sympatheically ringing. For me it's not the E, it's 100% the G on the 7th fret as I use my thumb to mute the E.

For anyone wonder what the run is, it's the one below. Just the first part that's the issue which would be the part on the D (First bar), hope that makes sense?

Have any of you had a similar issue?

On 28/05/2021 at 17:29, FDC484950 said:

I don’t suppose your third finger fretting the note before (9th fret on A) is not lifting clear of the board in time and causing the G to buzz? It’s common if you don’t fret notes with a curve to the fingers in the fretting hand

I eventually figured it out. I was muting the E with my thumb. It wasn't enough pressure to fret it but enough that the string vibration from playing the G made it vibrate and rattle. In all my time of playing I've never had this. Was really weird as one fret higher or lower and nothing, just that one note at that one position.