Why become a member? ×

Flipping musicians!

Roger2611

The rock band I have been playing with a for couple of years is in turmoil yet again! We have management, we have a stunning vocalist, we have an album, we have some good gigs and festivals lined up but no drummer and no lead guitarist now.....here's a brief summary of recent events (last 3 years)

I join band at the same time as the now departed guitarist

We write and record our album, I have to write and record the drum parts as the incumbent drummer was far more enthusiastic than he was talented.

Guitarist decides drummer needs to go if the band is ever going to move forward

Drummer is asked to resign and guitarist  brings in his drummer from the other band

Band gets back up to speed however drummer bails out of rehearsals at short notice and finally bails out of a video shoot 2 days before we were due to do it

Band sacks said drummer and I recruit a pal of mine to try out

Wednesday night we rehearse, it goes really well...after the rehearsal guitarist says "he's not a rock drummer" and goes home

Friday, guitarist says the band is not going where he wants so is leaving, half an hour later, drummer comes back and says he can't commit to 2 bands so won't be joining us!

What do we have to do to get a settled line up!

Bands, who needs em!

Rant over!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

Wednesday night we rehearse, it goes really well...after the rehearsal guitarist says "he's not a rock drummer" and goes home

I've never understood this attitude. I love playing with drummers who are not rock drummers, you get something different and less predictable to play along with. But if they can play the songs and they're not trying to play weird time signatures or something why does it matter? 

Anyhoo, good luck getting this sorted. A good drummer is hard to find, a guitarist without a massive ego even harder. Not sure of age ranges but perhaps try to find some youngsters who would be grateful for the opportunity to play with experienced musos and learn from you rather than people who want to pull things in their own direction? I know that I was brought in to an amazing band when I was 17 because I was young, naive, and not very good, but I learned and grew with the band. The guitarist got to swing his ego about unopposed and I got to jam with far better musicians and learn tons. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubit said:

Why do you need a settled line up? Surely you can just use session players for recording and touring.

I've done this for a previous band, in order to keep the gigs coming, but absolutely hated it. Even though they were all sufficiently competent to play their instruments to the required standard, it felt fake, and despite the fact that they were being paid they didn't make enough of an effort to look the part for the band. I'd be very reluctant to using session musicians for gigs again unless I was in a position where I was paying them so much I could also insist that they get some suitable stage attire, an appropriate haircut, and act on stage as though they were a proper part of the band.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubit said:

Why do you need a settled line up? Surely you can just use session players for recording and touring.

Yep, this. If you have paid gigs and a professional approach then you can find professional musicians to get the job done.

When our guitarist threw his toys out of the pram 10 days before a small tour in the USA, we called up a guitarist that we knew in New York, sent him the songs and flew him to Portland, Oregon to start the tour. This wasn't even a big money tour - it was classic punk style, relying on mates & other bands to supply gear and drive between dates, sleeping on floors and in s**tty motels.  It can be done.  Stop worrying about a stable lineup and look for people who actually want to play gigs (money helps...).  In the circles my band moves in, there are bands who have had 6 different drummers in 10 years, or will have 3 bass players who know the songs and they use whoever is alailable.

• Like 3

I've had so much trouble with band line-ups, organisation and attitude, and it's happened in so many bands, that I've started looking for the one common factor that explains it all.

Turns out, it's me.

😎

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, TheRev said:

Yep, this. If you have paid gigs and a professional approach then you can find professional musicians to get the job done.

When our guitarist threw his toys out of the pram 10 days before a small tour in the USA, we called up a guitarist that we knew in New York, sent him the songs and flew him to Portland, Oregon to start the tour. This wasn't even a big money tour - it was classic punk style, relying on mates & other bands to supply gear and drive between dates, sleeping on floors and in s**tty motels.  It can be done.  Stop worrying about a stable lineup and look for people who actually want to play gigs (money helps...).  In the circles my band moves in, there are bands who have had 6 different drummers in 10 years, or will have 3 bass players who know the songs and they use whoever is alailable.

100% - get a session muso in.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2021 at 10:58, Sarah5string said:

100% - get a session muso in.

Fine for in the studio where they can be hidden away and so long as they have the musical ability nothing else is important.

Unfortunately on stage is another matter. Unless your band has a big budget for hiring session players finding ones who also understand the importance of the band image and are willing/able to conform to it is IME very difficult. Even a simple instruction like: "wear black, no trainers or noticeable brand/band logos" appears to be too complicated for a lot of them to follow. 

Well, you could start by telling the departed guitarist that the drummer has other commitments, at least then you just need to find a new drummist (assuming of course that the guitarists dummy wasn't spat out too far).

Such is life in bands though.

At least now, you can actually rehearse and audition potential new band members.