Why become a member? ×

Best tribute act names

Beedster

On 28/05/2021 at 17:12, Waddo Soqable said:

In the earlyish 2000s there was "Abbatoir"  a heavy metal Abba tribute band..

I saw these do a support slot. It was dire. I have got heavy metal running through my veins but even I objected to the girls shouting in place of singing. Worst idea ever.

At one point, my mate leant over and yelled in my ear, "This is really shit!" just as the song ended. Oops.

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

I saw these do a support slot. It was dire. I have got heavy metal running through my veins but even I objected to the girls shouting in place of singing. Worst idea ever.

At one point, my mate leant over and yelled in my ear, "This is really shit!" just as the song ended. Oops.

Ha !.. I'd have to hand it to them that the name's quite good though !.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2021 at 19:00, Mykesbass said:

1988 seems to have been a big year for tribute acts - I thought Australian Pink Floyd may have pre-dated BA, but they were both around the same time. Then there's Rutles of course, way earlier, and a Stones tribute who used to feature on Steve Wright's Radio 1 show.

The Bootleg Beatles are the earliest tribute act I remember. Going since 1980 according to Wikipedia 

11 hours ago, LeftyP said:

I wonder if a Pretenders tribute band would just be pretending to be a Pretenders tribute band?

And would a Placebo tribute be nothing more than a sham? I guess Placebo Placebo.....?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Calling themselves Bonnie Prince Charlie would be an unfunny joke that no one would get, but it's the best I can do 😬

They could call themselves The Great Pretenders and enjoy the ire when punters figure out there won't be a Fauxddie Mercury

• Like 2

On 27/05/2021 at 19:20, TheGreek said:

I was more impressed with "No Way Sis" than the band they were imitating...

Oasisn't.

On 28/05/2021 at 07:00, Ricky Rioli said:

Have there been many other acts which play one band's music in another band style? Depeche Mode played à la Madness would be a fun live experience.

James Last – Plays The Greatest Songs Of The Beatles?

On 28/05/2021 at 08:52, Lord Sausage said:

Not a tribute band but there is a feminist, queer, art rock, party band called Vag Halen!

The first tribute band I was aware of were 'Hans Valen'. In Australia back in 1990.

On 29/05/2021 at 16:33, inthedoghouse said:

There's an Indian guy who does an Elvis tribute called 'Patelvis' 🙂

I remember a Mexican guy doing Elvis, called 'El Vez'.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...