Why become a member? ×

Best tribute act names

Beedster

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Has you Father in Law's band played at the Palladium in Bideford?

Many times yes, we’ll be there again on 10/7/21 too.  I love the Pally, Ben and the gang are top people - check out today’s choice of tshirt haha!! 906E226F-E0F1-41FC-9476-6FCA91A9CD88.thumb.jpeg.75eac1cd2b833f79c8688b867fabf2c5.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Big_Stu said:

There's, or was, a Scottish tribute to RATM called Radge Against The Machine. Incredibly clever, "radge" is a term of abuse up there, as many words are come to think of it.

That would be one of the bands that @mcnach from this parish plays in.

• Like 3

A mate is in the Faux Fighters.  Like that name.

I recall some others that have made me grin.  AB/CD was one.  AC/Dshe was a female version.  Dire Fakes.  Small Fakers.  There was talk once of a Carsick Nigel :)  Don't know if that ever happened.

• Like 2

As mentioned above, Bjorn Again us one of the best.

They were the first time I ever heard of a full on tribute band. 

Were they actually the first? Seem to remember them making the news, like it was a new phenomenon. 

Anyhoo, Last Year's Model was my (fictional) EC & The Attractions outfit for a book wot I wrote. 

Been in It Must Be Madness and The More Specials. I'd love to play Tina Weymouth in Stalking Heads. 

• Like 1

Long time ago, there used to be a great Thin Lizzy trib in Glasgow called Fat Betty.

I always thought if I was forced/offered enough money to do an Oasis tribute, it'd be the Bullsh!t Beatles.

For reasons I can't quite remember, my last band once played a set where each song started with an intro from a Rush track, under the name The John Rutsey Experience.

A project that never happened (but still could) involved combining Sweden's two finest musical exports, playing Abba songs in the style of Opeth & vice-versa. This was/would have/will be called AbbaRation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

As mentioned above, Bjorn Again us one of the best.

They were the first time I ever heard of a full on tribute band. 

Were they actually the first? Seem to remember them making the news, like it was a new phenomenon.

I think one of the reasons Bjorn Again hit the headlines is they very cleverly released an EP of Erasure covers as they would have been if Abba had recorded them. Got them into the charts.

1988 seems to have been a big year for tribute acts - I thought Australian Pink Floyd may have pre-dated BA, but they were both around the same time. Then there's Rutles of course, way earlier, and a Stones tribute who used to feature on Steve Wright's Radio 1 show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

I think one of the reasons Bjorn Again hit the headlines is they very cleverly released an EP of Erasure covers as they would have been if Abba had recorded them. Got them into the charts.

IIRC, that EP was called 'Erasure-ish' and was released as a superb tongue-in-cheek response to Erasure's 'Abba-esque' EP..?