Why become a member? ×

Gear fads

ped

I hope Maruszczyk are more than a forum fad.

They make really high quality instruments and sell them at really reasonable prices.

Darkglass are here to stay I reckon. I think that with an established line that covers pedals, amps and cabs, top drawer bassists on the books as endorsers, and international distribution which puts them in the major high street and online retailers, they are now one of the big names in bass amplification.

51 minutes ago, TheRev said:

Auralex Gramma pads.  I bought one, used it a buch of times. left it backstage at a festival somewhere, never bothered to replace it.

I’d forgotten I’d even gone one, let alone use it. So, I’ll agree on that one! 😂

4 hours ago, cetera said:

Dingwall and Darkglass....

You too can sound just like every other metal bassist!

Dingwall has been popping up everywhere, they're the new Tobias/MTD.

Darkglass is definitely a hype, I'm not seeing any metal bassists with them though. Zero in my circles at least.

Class D lightweight amps and Neodymium everything might be hip still?

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

I think short scale and lightweight gear, though not my taste are going to continue to be popular, particularly given the "white men of a certain age" demographic of Basschat

Yeh those JMJ Mustangs seem popular at the moment although not on my radar

4 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

Having to lug a cab up 3 flights of steep stairs to our rehearsal room every week has made me VERY grateful for my lightweight ashdown cab.

I think I'd lug a cab, any cab, up there once (or have someone else do so...), and leave it there. :|

16 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I understand where you are coming from, let me explain my view on this band. 

One of the biggest stereotypes we have as bassists is that we play it because we are failed guitarists, or that it's an easier instrument to play with less strings. 

Now my view is that he is in general playing the bass as if it was a guitar. 

Before everyone rushes to slate me, its only my opinion and I'm more than happy to accept that I'm probably wrong. 

I agree with you, although Lemmy and J Entwistle also said they played bass more like a guitar (just in a less obnoxious way 9_9)

Rackmount effects and preamps are certainly not very prevalent now. Not so much a fad as a sign of changing times. 

I still want to play a gig with 12 stacked Trace Elliot brightboxes  powered by a Trace Elliot rackmounted preamp and separate Trace Elliot poweramp. 

• Haha 1

Although obviously not a fad I'd say there was a period in the early 2000s (around when I started playing) that everyone I knew wanted to play the most slappy Flea/ Les Claypool inspired bass lines - might have just been my age group though!

15 minutes ago, ian147 said:

I agree with you, although Lemmy and J Entwistle also said they played bass more like a guitar (just in a less obnoxious way 9_9)

This is true and you are right there are many other bassists who play the bass like its a guitar, but they don't also try to make it sound like a guitar also, by shifting it up and octave and applying many other guitar effects. 

12 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

This is true and you are right there are many other bassists who play the bass like its a guitar, but they don't also try to make it sound like a guitar also, by shifting it up and octave and applying many other guitar effects. 

You get that he's doing that cuz it's a two-piece, right?

1 hour ago, Vin Venal said:

You get that he's doing that cuz it's a two-piece, right?

Yes, my whole point through out this thread about royal blood is that the guitar is a much more suitable instrument to use for his purposes than bass. 

But as I have also said its only my opinion. 

In my opinion he is playing guitar riffs on bass, and trying to make the bass sound like a guitar and a bass, which furthers the stereotype that bass is easier than guitar. 

Edited by Crawford13
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I think Sue Ryder basses were just a one off block purchase, when they're gone they're gone, I would think by now every owner has removed the decal 😁, they were bought because they were a perceived bargain, but it's only a bargain if you really need it, would be interesting to see if anybody still uses one though,

Mine's still getting gigged with it's original decal proudly on show. 😎

Punters don't care, musos love it!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Yes, my whole point through out this thread about royal blood is that the guitar is a much more suitable instrument to use for his purposes than bass. 

But as I have also said its only my opinion. 

In my opinion he is playing guitar riffs on bass, and trying to make the bass sound like a guitar and a bass, which furthers the stereotype that bass is easier than guitar. 

So you think he should play guitar and use effects to generate the lower octave instead?

Maybe he can't play guitar?

Also, no offense, but bass is easier than guitar. Lol.

3 hours ago, Graham said:

I think short scale and lightweight gear, though not my taste are going to continue to be popular, particularly given the "white men of a certain age" demographic of Basschat

I did have a shortscale bass, very briefly, luckily I got shot of it, sharpish like.....