Why become a member? ×

Gear fads

ped

Well as someone who has taken a few long 'career breaks'. Popping in occasionally to buy new stuff...except for those stupid Velcro wraps around the string things.

I'll add Barefaced,  Dingwall and octave pedals to the above.  

1 hour ago, Vin Venal said:

So you think he should play guitar and use effects to generate the lower octave instead?

Maybe he can't play guitar?

Also, no offense, but bass is easier than guitar. Lol.

Yeah I do think he should use effects to generate the lower octave, and guitar would give him more flexibility to play that type of music. 

No offence taken, however the 2 instruments have very different roles in music and also in a band context. My personal opinion is that it's harder to be a top class bass player than it is to be a top class guitar player. Just my opinion. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Yeah I do think he should use effects to generate the lower octave, and guitar would give him more flexibility to play that type of music. 

No offence taken, however the 2 instruments have very different roles in music and also in a band context. My personal opinion is that it's harder to be a top class bass player than it is to be a top class guitar player. Just my opinion. 

Maybe. But I reckon its easier to be an average bass player than an average guitarist.

Thank gods for that too, or I'd have packed up long ago. Lol.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

Maybe. But I reckon its easier to be an average bass player than an average guitarist.

Thank gods for that too, or I'd have packed up long ago. Lol.

Yeah I would agree with that to be fair. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I would suggest that "Average bassists" are significantly outnumbered by "less than average guitarists" though.

I would also agree with this. In fact in Scotland its really hard to find a bassist full stop. 

14 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

What was that thumpinator thing that everyone bought. Wasn’t it something to protect your amp. Went mad on here and never heard of it since

By most accounts it worked very well. There are a few high pass filters available, as I rarely really punish my Cabs haven't got round to trying one.

12 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

My personal opinion is that it's harder to be a top class bass player than it is to be a top class guitar player. Just my opinion

Interesting. Is it because being a "top class" bassist you've often got to do the things that go unnoticed rather than being showy? A but like being a "top class" referee in Footy or rugby, you've done well if nobody really noticed you're there. 

• Like 2

The pedals made by catalinbread/ boomstick/ mojo hand 

great pedals, but they swarmed over the forums like a virus a good time back. 
there was the cream pie thing as well. Still have mine though 😂

polish love, the list goes on ........

(don’t google some of these names on their own though- I hate to think what may pop up on a search!!😂)

Edited by dudewheresmybass

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

What was that thumpinator thing that everyone bought. Wasn’t it something to protect your amp. Went mad on here and never heard of it since

The Thumpinator is a very bare bones HPF that only takes out actual thump generated LF. Fine if that's your bag but there's a whole world of 30+ hz that other filters will tame.

3 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

It’s funny isn’t it, with today’s so-called much better designed, much more efficient equipment we now need all these filters to get the perfect sound that we heard people in the 60s/70s/80s achieve from the supposed sub standard gear around at the time that wasn’t scientifically any good.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Interesting. Is it because being a "top class" bassist you've often got to do the things that go unnoticed rather than being showy? A but like being a "top class" referee in Footy or rugby, you've done well if nobody really noticed you're there. 

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

It’s funny isn’t it, with today’s so-called much better designed, much more efficient equipment we now need all these filters to get the perfect sound that we heard people in the 60s/70s/80s achieve from the supposed sub standard gear around at the time that wasn’t scientifically any good.

They didn't have forums to agonise over the details then so they just went out and did it. We can do the same now.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

They didn't have forums to agonise over the details then so they just went out and did it. We can do the same now.

On my way to have a Jam sesh in a Dutch Barn near London Conley.

800 watts and an Epifani Cab should do nicely.

On 28/05/2021 at 11:10, PaulWarning said:

I think Sue Ryder basses were just a one off block purchase, when they're gone they're gone, I would think by now every owner has removed the decal 😁, they were bought because they were a perceived bargain, but it's only a bargain if you really need it, would be interesting to see if anybody still uses one though,

Still use mine! :)

It's my only fretless now, I ended up preferring it to the other more expensive fretless basses (let's face it...ANYTHING would have been more expensive :D ). Model P pickup, 'though, original was kind of microphonic and not very good.

Decal stays, I'm not that insecure ;)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

On my way to have a Jam sesh in a Dutch Barn near London Conley.

800 watts and an Epifani Cab should do nicely.

Obviously, the only people who care about the details are us, to the audience its just the sound the long guitar makes.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Obviously, the only people who care about the details are us, to the audience its just the sound the long guitar makes.

Even though we've a free rein I'm going to be on my best behaviour. Plus I'm going to tweaking lots of knobs on a fairly elaborate hybrid Amp. Specifically tube drive and it's compressor.

Then again Don the guitarist's got himself a 100 watt hi-watt clone that he wants to exercise 

On 27/05/2021 at 18:47, Cato said:

I'm not sure it counts as a fad because a lot of people including me have held onto theirs, but there were a lot of people getting Sire V7s when they first came out.

I've still got mine. I probably won't sell as it's one with a signed neck plate. 

The 2nd generation seem quite popular now as well to be fair.

5 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Compressors? I'll get my tin hat out 😀

Saves me getting into my nuclear bunker. Which is greatly appreciated, given the weather is so nice out there today 😁

7 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

You've clearly been avoiding the PB mega-thread then! 

• Like 1