Why become a member? ×

Gear fads

ped

9 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

We have trends on here, but I think we also have a massive tendency to see ppl over here jump on whatever Talkbass trend is happening... despite the fact that that gear might not be so good by the time you’ve shipped it Over and paid extra. 

that said - trends on here I have noticed...

• j retro with everything
  • Fender roadworn
  • marskzyzhuch (So)
  • Barefaced are the best
  • barefaced handles are the worst
  • shuker basses
  • celinder
  • sue ryder
  • a cycle where everyone ends up with passive precisions...
  • Moving to 5 strings
  • moving back to 4s

Fad to me suggests something comes, is very popular (sometimes inexplicably so) and then goes. Barefaced are doing pretty well and grown as a company. Also, I think including Jon Shuker in a ‘gear fad’ list is a little insulting. Possibly Celinder too, but I don’t know much about them. The 4/5 string debate will go on forever.

Sue Ryder basses and and that company I cannot pronounce, yeah, I’ll agree with you there.

8 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Fad to me suggests something comes, is very popular (sometimes inexplicably so) and then goes. Barefaced are doing pretty well and grown as a company. Also, I think including Jon Shuker in a ‘gear fad’ list is a little insulting. Possibly Celinder too, but I don’t know much about them. The 4/5 string debate will go on forever.

Sue Ryder basses and and that company I cannot pronounce, yeah, I’ll agree with you there.

I think John Shuker is great, but about 10 years back EVERYONE on here seemed to own one of his bases

Back when I started reading about bass guitars on the internet, Nu Metal was just about to start winding down, Warwick had enjoyed a big success off the back of being seen as the aspirational bass of that genre and had expanded their operations in the US through Dana B. Goods. They were still without a proper UK distributor at the time though some Sound Control stores carried them. It seemed like the entire internet was going wild for them and they were definitely the bass to have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Like basses with more than 4 strings. Oh, and rock'n'roll. It only exists because Frank says so. Nothing happens without Frank's say-so.

Having to lug a cab up 3 flights of steep stairs to our rehearsal room every week has made me VERY grateful for my lightweight ashdown cab.

2 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

We still do,  mainly because they were fantastic value

still are mind! He's a builder who doesn't seem to have many unhappy customers... but isn't in vogue in the way he was years back. 

This is where I think some of our trends are driven by the US fashion. If I spent £2000 ten- fifteen years ago on a Sadowsky, a Lull, a Overwater and a Shuker.... I think one would have increased in value, one would have kept it's value and the other two I would be struggling to sell. :( 

I think Sue Ryder basses were just a one off block purchase, when they're gone they're gone, I would think by now every owner has removed the decal 😁, they were bought because they were a perceived bargain, but it's only a bargain if you really need it, would be interesting to see if anybody still uses one though,

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

and that company I cannot pronounce, yeah, I’ll agree with you there.

4 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I think John Shuker is great, but about 10 years back EVERYONE on here seemed to own one of his bases

4 hours ago, Ben Jamin said:

TC Electronic RH450?

I must be pretty faddy with my Shuker Uberhorn, my Maruszczyk Elwood and my TC450 then, as none of those are going anywhere!

I think I will add valve amps and currently spectors!

Edited by Woodinblack