Why become a member? ×

70’s Olympic drums in ‘grey silk’ wrap

Pea Turgh

I’ve wanted one of these kits for a few years, but funds never allowed when I saw them crop up.

Going to try to obtain a whole kit in instalments 🤣

So far I have snagged a high tom, got my eye on a snare.  Anyone got a floor tom or kick drum in this finish?!

Or even a whole kit?

D197C785-37A0-48C0-8169-B03D97F30160.jpeg

Edited by Pea Turgh
Thread title changed as now selling blue, buying grey!!!
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jakester said:

zEoS9hyt0oa3Fg_KV7zidnriGYu_4otblsu5-RAJ

This was my old Oly - sounded great, I do miss it but ran out of space some time ago!

You could try a couple of the Facebook drum groups eg: 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/507827252616774

https://www.facebook.com/groups/443259535799308

Or try someone like Tristan at Drum Attic: https://www.drum-attic.co.uk/

That’s a stunner of a kit! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jakester said:

zEoS9hyt0oa3Fg_KV7zidnriGYu_4otblsu5-RAJ

This was my old Oly - sounded great, I do miss it but ran out of space some time ago!

Doesn’t help the OP, I know, sorry....

I had an identical set-up, but in Olympic Red Silk, with a chrome Premier Orchestral snare-drum.  Unfortunately only a monochrome photo. (Posted previously in another thread)

6D25882F-7E9A-42FF-B836-217D133BA7A1.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

That’s a stunner of a kit! 

Thanks! It’s in the “ones I regret selling” file - at the time I decided I wanted something a bit newer and flashier so sold it for not very much (albeit quite a bit more than I paid for it).

There’s a lot of stuff in that file...

Good luck with the search!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Doesn’t help the OP, I know, sorry....

I had an identical set-up, but in Olympic Red Silk, with a chrome Premier Orchestral snare-drum.  Unfortunately only a monochrome photo. (Posted previously in another thread)

6D25882F-7E9A-42FF-B836-217D133BA7A1.jpeg

We need the story behind that photo....

It was on the ‘band photos’ thread a while back, but it was taken in 1966, on the southbound carriageway of the M1, at what became J25 on a Sunday morning a few weeks before it opened.  The cars belonged to the bass player and me.  I’d forgotten to take my drum stool, so I was perched on a bit of pipe we found, hence I was towering over the kit.

• Like 4

I know!  I’ve got alerts on and checking it fanatically!  It’s a beaut - mahogany shells, new heads, the works.  Unfortunately I’ve had to agree to not buy anything else until the studio is finished 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

9 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

I bought the single tom from him - well happy with the seller.

Curse you, agreement-made-for-the-sake-of-marital-bliss!!

ah dang it, well you gotta do what you gotta do! Maybe mention to him that you're on the lookout for the odd drums as he's constantly getting new stuff in... he's got a lengthy list of things I'm after and drops me a line if he gets something in. He's done me some pretty generous deals on things lately too. 

Either way, best of luck, I hope you can finish the kit. Looks great! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Unfortunately I’ve had to agree to not buy anything else until the studio is finished

"What, this old thing? Nah, had it for years, just thought I'd get it out for a change. See, it's really old. Nope, not new, was in the cases all along". 

Ahem. 

• Haha 2

On 02/06/2021 at 12:31, Pea Turgh said:

@Baxlin - that is such a great photo!  I want to know more about the band now!

Not sure many will be interested, but you did ask!  Band name - The Mason-Dixon Line.  Initial line up was two-tone, unusual for the 60s, with Guitar, bass, drums, tenor sax, vocals and keys, playing jazz-oriented stuff, like Big Noise from Winetka etc, some Fats Domino, also Bluebeat, and the obligatory three-chord rep.

Inevitably we broke up, leaving just G, B and D jamming, but a lead guitarist/vocalist without a band, who I’d been in bands with previously, and who thought we were still gigging, got us some work, so we recruited him, to make this lineup.   It lasted a year or so, and eventually broke up when I left to join the RAF.

As a post-script, I’ve been doing some remote recording during lockdown with the guitarist/vocalist who joined us...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to a hot tip from @kingforaday, I should have a matching 16” floor tom at some point soon.  Only the kick to go now!

In the mean time, a mate gave me a 60’s wooden snare in red silk wrap.  Needed a new reso head and some tension rods, but it’s all together and sounding pretty “phat”, for the grand total of a little over £20!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Jakester said:

That is tempting, but I really want it in blue!!!   Thanks though.

I have been considering converting the 16” floor tom into a kick, but that would probably be more expensive than waiting for a suitable kick to pop up.

• Pea Turgh changed the title to 70’s Olympic drums in ‘grey silk’ wrap